The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  6m6 minutes ago

Demko on if he's ready for pro hockey :"It's a big step, very few go from college to NHL but I feel more mature this year." #Canucks

Demko - "I will talk to my family, they know what's best for me, make sure we have all the information before we make a decision." #Canucks

Demko on signing with #Canucks in 2 weeks : "I have not talked to the Canucks but will after the season, they are giving me space."

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Good so we learned not to call someone at 3 in the morning demanding that they sign.

We'll hold off on that until the morning of the Frozen 4 final so that Demko will not be well rested, focused and in the end loose. Then he will stay in school for another year so he can win BC the championship.

There is no need to bother him during his current run with BC. Once his season is over let a day or two pass, then give the guy a 1st class ticket for himself , his family and agent. Tour them around Vancouver. Get a Contract signed, Then 1st class to Utica to practice and maybe see some ice this year with the Comets

2 minutes ago, Yotes said:

There is no need to bother him during his current run with BC. Once his season is over let a day or two pass, then give the guy a 1st class ticket for himself , his family and agent. Tour them around Vancouver. Get a Contract signed, Then 1st class to Utica to practice and maybe see some ice this year with the Comets

The only way Demko plays for Utica this season is if he signs a deal with the Canucks that starts July 1, 2016 and he signs a PTO with the Comets for the balance of this regular season.

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

The only way Demko plays for Utica this season is if he signs a deal with the Canucks that starts July 1, 2016 and he signs a PTO with the Comets for the balance of this regular season.

Yup just like Werenski just did with Columbus

On 2/18/2016 at 3:51 PM, FireGillis said:

The reasons you listed are just the smokescreen reasons he will give if he goes back to school because nobody really says they do it because they want to be a ufa even though that's the real goal. The exclusive negotiating window isn't a big factor because it's not long enough where the player isn't better off to just let that window pass and become a ufa.

I disagree....I doubt you went to college...There is alot of pride and desire to perform well for your school, especially if you are an elite athlete

51 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I disagree....I doubt you went to college...There is alot of pride and desire to perform well for your school, especially if you are an elite athlete

Jimmy Vesey says hello!

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/

It was the toughest decision I’ve ever made, but I turned the offer down and decided to go back to college for my senior year. I actually turned down my dream for another year of bus rides, dining hall food and homework. Pretty nuts, huh?

When I officially announced my decision, everyone — and I mean everyone — seemed to have a comment. Some people thought I must have been doing it to hold out for free agency this summer, while some people couldn’t fathom the fact that I was going back at all. How bad could I really want to be a hockey player if I was choosing to go back to school?

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I think this is reference to # 99 almost signing contract with Canucks...

Stierlitz, do you know if there is a financial incentive for Demko to sign after this weekend, so he can burn a full year off his ELC before this season ends?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Stierlitz, do you know if there is a financial incentive for Demko to sign after this weekend, so he can burn a full year off his ELC before this season ends?  

Ou nou, I am just a fan ::D But thanks for asking...

44 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Yeah but you're bolded quote is a lie coming directly from Vessey's own mouth so I hold it and anything else this classless individual says in very low regard.

That's my point though. Before he decided to test free agency, vesey was all about school saying there was no ulterior motive to test free agency,  Until vesey was proven a liar you would have been right there believing him about him being all about school only.  

I'm not saying he does't love school because he does and that is true, however that's the side benefit of his true goal of free agency.  My argument isn't about demko specifically, since he hasn't made any comments about signing a contract or anything yet.  I'm talking more in general and what's logically the smart move. Once a player decides to go back for his senior year, they only have to wait a few months after their season ends to hit free agency.  At that point there's 0 downside to waiting to be a ufa.  You get to talk to 29 other teams, while also having the option to sign with the original team that drafted you.

This is why I don't understand David Poile's reasoning about there being no financial benefit to becoming a free agent since everyone can pay you the same, so there's no leverage to use. He's underselling the fact that getting to decide where you get to work and live now instead of waiting 7 years is worth more to a person than signing now. If you've already done 3 years of college and decide to go back for your senior year, then playing out the final year and becoming a free agent is the smartest and most logical move to me at least. There's just no downside to it.

I don't think this loophole is a huge deal because most elite college players like eichel, etc will never get to that point because they will always leave school early to go pro and start playing in the nhl early and collecting an nhl paycheque. This loophole only gets used a handful of times for non first rounders and late bloomers normally, so it's not like it's something that is routinely exploited. Plus, if it does happen to a first rounder, you get a compensatory pick in return. Vesey is a 3rd rounder though, so the preds get nothing.

Edited by FireGillis