The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

15 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they need to find a different material to make the pucks out of.  They whiz around to0 fast and are too heavy.  Concussions and broken bones happen every night it seems.  

Well for starters they should ban shot blocking.  A. it leads to injuries, B. it dulls the game as we all want to see scoring.  It should be viewed along the same lines as a hand ball in soccer.  If a point man takes a shot and a player skates at him and blocks a shot that's fine, but any sparling/diving/etc. should lead to a delay of game penalty.  Unpopular opinion but I stick by it, this game would be a lot better if they took shot blocking out of the game. 

As for the equipment I think they can make masks that cushion more of the impact by shots.  If not then it might be time to look at softer pucks and padding. 

• Upvote 1

On 22.10.2018 at 9:24 AM, Drakrami said:

His AHL season was good. But he wasn't a stats leader like you say. I also suspect his AHL all star is because every team gets to send at least 1 player..? Any way, future is still bright, but I am not as hyped as when Demko was carrying his team and dominated the stats during his college years. Especially with his few games of NHL pre-season showing where he didnt really shine at all. 

Demko carried Utica on his shoulders -again - last year. Also, he played really well during playoff time, he even outplayed Sparks in game 1. He might not have had a good pre-season, but when Demko is hot, look out, he is a beast of a goalie

On 10/22/2018 at 8:24 AM, Drakrami said:

His AHL season was good. But he wasn't a stats leader like you say. I also suspect his AHL all star is because every team gets to send at least 1 player..? Any way, future is still bright, but I am not as hyped as when Demko was carrying his team and dominated the stats during his college years. Especially with his few games of NHL pre-season showing where he didnt really shine at all. 

There is a difference in being a very good goalie prospect and a NHL ready goalie.  I've been criticized on this forum for saying that Demko still has a few holes in his game that need to be worked on before being ready to be an every day NHL goaltender.  However I've always said that he is one of the top Canuck's prospects to play in Utica and I believe that he will be a solid NHL goalie at some point.  I just hope that this concussion issue doesn't set him back too much.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Are you unaware that goalies are dropping like flies and one of the latest is our young up and coming tender who was concussed from a shot by Brendan Lepsic..a smaller player who isn't even known for his shooting.  There has been a handful of goalies this year who have already been concussed by pucks, not to mention the broken bones and major bruises that have occured to other players already and will continue throughout the year.  Every time a player is hit with a body check we have to micro-analyze the footage, watch it in slow-mo to make sure it didn't do any brain damage to the opponent, we still have people complaining about fighting even though fighting can actually be used as a tool to police the game, but yet nobody says anything about the small little black object that injures players on a nightly basis.

The answer lies in better equipment.

The league has done very little to address that since concussions became a big issue.

Edited by DeNiro

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Are you unaware that goalies are dropping like flies and one of the latest is our young up and coming tender who was concussed from a shot by Brendan Lepsic..a smaller player who isn't even known for his shooting.  There has been a handful of goalies this year who have already been concussed by pucks, not to mention the broken bones and major bruises that have occured to other players already and will continue throughout the year.  Every time a player is hit with a body check we have to micro-analyze the footage, watch it in slow-mo to make sure it didn't do any brain damage to the opponent, we still have people complaining about fighting even though fighting can actually be used as a tool to police the game, but yet nobody says anything about the small little black object that injures players on a nightly basis.

Haha...yeah ok. So change a puck into a pickleball...genius idea lol. How about we take away the skates too? Because they have cut players in the past. And no hockey sticks because they HIGH STICK and hurt players. CHANGE ALL THE FUNDAMENTALS OF ICE HOCKEY!!!

Sorry, but your idea to change pucks is silly. It is a big part of what makes ICE HOCKEY...ICE HOCKEY.

If you want to make the game safer you need to come up with something with more thought than that imo.

19 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

The puck can stay a puck, just made with different material.  See you can't take away their skates because there is no substitution for that, and I don't think there would be a way to make the sticks safer either, but tha'ts why there is a high sticking rule and visors are now mandatory.  Like I said, pucks hurt players on a nightly basis, more so than sticks and skates put together.  

That is why we had 'no raisees' on the pond! Definitely no slappers. We all learned how to avoid most of the plays that could get you hurt. The problem in the NHL is that you have borderline players or players who make it part of their game to use their bodies to stop the puck. Not something new it has been going on as long as I have known the game.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 7:19 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Good news ! I was travelling through rural Alberta many years back with CBC being the only radio station not playing 'crying music'. On a non sports show. Troy Gamble came on talking about the fact that he could never get back to 100% health. (....after a concussion ) Said he felt A 1, but his career went downhill. He was our goalie of the future at that time. Really hope that Demko's return is a more positive story !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Good news ! I was travelling through rural Alberta many years back with CBC being the only radio station not playing 'crying music'. On a non sports show. Troy Gamble came on talking about the fact that he could never get back to 100% health. (....after a concussion ) Said he felt A 1, but his career went downhill. He was our goalie of the future at that time. Really hope that Demko's return is a more positive story !

That's a positive outlook.  I wonder if Austin Matthews injured shoulder is going to heal.  I remember travelling through Chicago, and the Bear's QB at the time had a bad shoulder (McMann) and he never was the same.  I sure hope (not really) that Matthews can return to play. 

Why so negative about our future superstar goalie?  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a positive outlook.  I wonder if Austin Matthews injured shoulder is going to heal.  I remember travelling through Chicago, and the Bear's QB at the time had a bad shoulder (McMann) and he never was the same.  I sure hope (not really) that Matthews can return to play. 

Why so negative about our future superstar goalie?  

The interaction between the Canucks and Murphy's law.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Upvote 1

Trent Cull on Thatcher Demko:

"Thatcher Demko is progressing, he participated in practice today & yesterday. It's great to see Thatcher out with the boys and practicing again. We've got Curtis Sanford in town right now doing extra work after practice too."

"Really good that he progressed to the point where he is in game-like situations. He's been out a long time and we want to make sure we're getting him back into shape."