The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BUF initiate compliance buy out on Ehrhoff

It has little to do with tanking. That contract was terrible. Ten years with seven still to go. The risk of salary recapture just isn't worth it. It was yet another screw-up from the previous regime that needed cleaning up.

*edit* People think that the new lottery is changing the game big time. It isn't. All the new system is doing is making the odds better for the other teams. The lowest that the 30th team can go is to #2.

It was a rather contract, and it does make sense to lose it before it becomes a problem down the road.

I'll take the higher odds for other teams though. No offense, I know you love your Sabres and would rather see them as a competitive team. I just hate tank jobs.

Wondering if Ehrhoff has any regrets about leaving VAN when he did?

He was a cog who could have helped the machine and the whole Tortorella side-show & fiasco probably never happens. Then again...Gillis didn't do right by D-man Salo, either. Not appeasing 2 of his more offensively gifted D-men....and altering course away from speed & skill....was the demise of Gillis & started the downhill turn. This, the Tortorella-hire (Heritage Classic/disturbing So-Sal swings) & the Luongo/ Schneider drama.... sent-out a vibe to FA's...that "Nucks' management had pretty much ceased to respect their players.

So glad that Trev, JB & Willie are now at the helm... to correct that perception.

Wondering if Ehrhoff has any regrets about leaving VAN when he did?

He was a cog who could have helped the machine and the whole Tortorella side-show & fiasco probably never happens. Then again...Gillis didn't do right by D-man Salo, either. Not appeasing 2 of his more offensively gifted D-men....and altering course away from speed & skill....was the demise of Gillis & started the downhill turn. This, the Tortorella-hire (Heritage Classic/disturbing So-Sal swings) & the Luongo/ Schneider drama.... sent-out a vibe to FA's...that "Nucks' management had pretty much ceased to respect their players.

So glad that Trev, JB & Willie are now at the helm... to correct that perception.

+1

I would take him for 5 mil a season, if matt carle can get 5.5, Hoff is atleast worth that, he is what we need, puck moving D. A lot of teams will be interested. It will also be a mess to figure out who you move to pick him up, Linden said Edler isn't going anywhere, you can't afford to lose Hamhuis, those are your 2 best lefties. You gotta keep Bieksa and Tanev, great right d men, it is ideal to have lefties paired with righties. Although Ehrhoff did play the right side with Edler here, and did okay.

I would trade tanev for an forward with upside and sign Ehrhoff, and then hope Corrado developes sooner. Ehrhoff had the most success here, he might be inclined to come back.

Before, I would've loved to get him back, but we already have 8 quality dmen.

Edler Hamhuis

Tanev Sbisa

Bieksa Weber

Corrado Stanton

I don't really care that he left, defense is the least of our concerns. The forward group might be one of the worst in the NHL w/ our 2 top 6 forwards being in their mid 30's. We can't win the cup, we might as well do what Buffalo is trying to do and take a run at McDavid or Eichel.

I hope he goes to a team like Detroit so it intrigues Edler to want to be moved. Hopefully he doesn't say it in public and ruin the rate of return like some douche who wears #17 did.

Before, I would've loved to get him back, but we already have 8 quality dmen.

Edler Hamhuis

Tanev Sbisa

Bieksa Weber

Corrado Stanton

I don't really care that he left, defense is the least of our concerns. The forward group might be one of the worst in the NHL w/ our 2 top 6 forwards being in their mid 30's. We can't win the cup, we might as well do what Buffalo is trying to do and take a run at McDavid or Eichel.

I hope he goes to a team like Detroit so it intrigues Edler to want to be moved. Hopefully he doesn't say it in public and ruin the rate of return like some douche who wears #17 did.

Weber doesn't even come close.

I would take him for 5 mil a season, if matt carle can get 5.5, Hoff is atleast worth that, he is what we need, puck moving D. A lot of teams will be interested. It will also be a mess to figure out who you move to pick him up, Linden said Edler isn't going anywhere, you can't afford to lose Hamhuis, those are your 2 best lefties. You gotta keep Bieksa and Tanev, great right d men, it is ideal to have lefties paired with righties. Although Ehrhoff did play the right side with Edler here, and did okay.

I would trade tanev for an forward with upside and sign Ehrhoff, and then hope Corrado developes sooner. Ehrhoff had the most success here, he might be inclined to come back.

+1

People need to get over the fact that he left as a UFA. Look at the contract offer compared to the low ball one he got from Gillis. Anyone here who says they would not have done the same thing is a liar.

Except people do it every day, taking less money to work in a job/place that is better for them despite a higher salary somewhere else. I would do that for sure, to play in a place that had just about won the Stanley Cup, offered an established, successful role and was offering a reasonable contract (as you later corrected yourself on versus the 'low ball' statement above).

Look at what happened to him as the alternative, went to a team promising to try and spend to improve, but failed miserably in doing so. Not to knock Buffalo as a city either, but it's hardly Vancouver.

His professional career has suffered as a result and he can't get those years back. If all he wanted was to pad his retirement fund with extra millions rather than stay with a competitive hockey team coming off it's best season ever, then I can certainly blame him for that.

EDIT: and to be clear, that doesn't mean I hold a grudge against him and wouldn't want him back for that specific reason. Maybe it's better to say he should blame himself rather than any of us blaming him. He put himself in the situation he's in and if he's happier with the money than continued professional success, then so be it. You'll have to ask him if he'd do it the same all over again though.

Where exactly would Ehrhoff fit on this team. You've got Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa and Sbisa who IMO, are all top 4 dmen. Weber is also said to have gotten a 1 way contract. There's literally no spot for him.

We make a spot, it's really not difficult. This is only difficult to undertand if one doesn't understand just how much better we would be with him in the lineup.

I look at it this way:

On a team that badly needs forward depth and a youth movement, Ehrhoff for nothing but a contract offer + potential return for Bieksa or Tanev >>>>>>> Bieksa or Tanev

If Taev wants more than Jake Muzzin type money he is a solid reliable dman with no physical or offensive play to speak of and is replaceable. Bieksa would generate a very big return I bet. So either is a good option to move on.

We make a spot, it's really not difficult. This is only difficult to undertand if one doesn't understand just how much better we would be with him in the lineup.

I'd have to agree with your last sentence. I'd sooner gamble on some youth development.

It's not about 2011. If the price is right, he's a heck of a shooter.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Ehrhoff

It very much is. Fans who want to re-sign Ehrhoff are still trying to recapture that 2011 feeling. It didn't work for Darryl Sutter when he re-signed Jokinen and Tanguay.

I doubt JB is even considering him anyways. Our defense is crowded and Ehrhoff doesn't fit with his vision of "meat and potatoes style" type of player.

Edler-Ehrhoff

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado/Stanton/etc.

OR

Edler-Ehrhoff

Hamhuis-Tanev

Sbisa-Corrado/Stanton/etc.

I could live with either if the return for Bieksa or Tanev is someone that can either add offense to our second line. It's all about asset management to garner more quality depth.

Archived