The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BUF initiate compliance buy out on Ehrhoff

Let's be real here. The contracts offered were not comparable at all. There is taking less to stay somewhere and then there is getting bent over by a GM who did not want to risk offending Kevin Bieksa by paying Ehrhoff a shorter deal at more money which time has sown he was absolutely worth to the Canucks. And the opportunity to be a top pairing go to guy in Buffalo as opposed to being considered one of the top 4 here is not a better scenario individually for a player.

Who says he is blaming himself for anything or is upset with his decision anyway? You don't know that. And he would have tied Garrison for the team lead last season at 33 points, so how exactly has he fallen off a cliff while guys like Bieksa, etc. have accomplished so much since he left?

We need to all get over the Mike Gillis fallacy that all players should all accept less than what they are worth to be Canucks out of only a sense of loyalty. That is not reality. Players have the right to do what they feel is best for them as UFA's and that is what Ehrhoff did.

And to be fair, what exactly have the Canucks accomplished since Ehrhoff left that makes us believe it is in any better situation than Buffalo is? They have not been Stanley Cup competitive at all. So why are we so arrogant to think that everyone should want to play here based on an epic collapse in the Stanley Cup finals and the subsequent slide to worse than mediocrity? Yes Vancouver is a great city, but no one knows the intimate details of why Ehrhoff actually left. Maybe it was only for money. Maybe there were other factors involved though. Maybe he did not like his contract negotiations as UFA being limited by what Kevin Bieksa was getting offered because as we have seen Ehrhoff likely contributed much more to the Sedins and Edler being better players in his time here. He certainly contributed far more to what has now become a woeful PP. So his right to be a UFA should be ignored because we think it is a bad decision for him to move on? That is a ridiculous argument and typical CDC thought process.

The Canucks players have declined significantly since he left and have not had any more success than Ehrhoff has both individually and as a team. So in hindsight it sort of looks like going to Buffalo may have not been the best place to find hockey success for Ehrhoff but Vancouver likely wouldn't have been either. Unless he was a bigger part of the previous success than people think he was. Then him leaving hurt the Canucks more than it hurt him.

Come on now, you don't think if Bieksa wanted a shorter term deal he also wouldn't have wanted a larger cap hit for more security? And that he wouldn't have understood if another player like Ehrhoff got more money on shorter term if that's what they wanted?

Larger money on shorter term wasn't the issue for the Canucks and Ehrhoff.

And Ehrhoff got what he desired, but was it really what he wanted? He was already a top offensive pairing and 1st unit PP guy here, we weren't holding him back in the shadow of some other player.

Now let's be clear, I never said he was blaming himself. I never said he's fallen off a cliff. What I did say is maybe you should ask him and see how he feels about the outcome of his choice, and maybe he does (or should) blame himself rather than any of us caring to blame him. And I noted his professional career has suffered as a result, with certainly the opinion of him as a player not what it was when he was with us and the Buffalo record overall is pretty black and white.

I don't need to get over anything, nor is it a fallacy. You can build a team with a strong internal cap structure and move on from those that don't want to work within it. Teams do it all the time. Ehrhoff chose not to buy into that, and he moved on as a result even though he expressed remorse after the trade, saying he thought they were still negotiating even though it was days before free agency.

Another president's trophy and two northwest titles is certainly more than Buffalo has accomplished with Ehrhoff. And if losing Ehrhoff was such a large part of our demise (which still held greater success than Buffalo at everything but getting lottery draft picks) then couldn't Ehrhoff look worse still for his decision?

But then you say it yourself, no one knows the exact details of why Ehrhoff left. You seem to claim to know a fair amount about it despite that statement.

And again, I've never said he didn't have the right to go to free agency. I have said the Canucks had every right to trade him if they knew that was his plan rather than pay more than what they felt Ehrhoff was worth considering the situation at the time.

Contracts are based on point totals for the most part. That contract was not reasonable for a 50 point defenseman. All Gillis had to do was up it by a mil and Ehrhoff likely would have remained a Canuck. But Gillis let his ego get in the way, like he did on many occasions.

I meant to say we dumped Garrison, not bought him out. Slipped into my head.

I agree offence drives contract worth, but how much of his offence here was created by him and how much can be attributed to playing with the Sedins? I know it's been looked at, and certainly the Canucks were considering that, as well as any of Ehrhoff's deficiencies, and they offered a reasonable deal at the time.

As has been mentioned, Ehrhoff had one significant offensive season with San Jose before coming here. They chose to dump Ehrhoff's offence from the back end to try and capitalize on offence from the forwards by adding Heatley. That didn't work for them, but they saw a reason to pass on a 40+ point D-man for scraps in return. We saw a reason to offer him a reasonable contract in line with other players on a team that just went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup at least.

Except contracts are generally based on what you did the previous season, not the previous 3 seasons. See Garrison.

Ah, but goals - even more than points - drives contract worth the most.

Now there is a team that's tanking. How will they get to the salary floor? They'd be about 20 million away from it if they buy out Ehrhoff.

Because if he retires before his contract is over (last season specifically) then he will serious screw them. They screwed the CBA during the lockout.

I want to have him on the team but we shouldn't give him a multi year 5-6 million dollars. That'll just trap us in the future so if he wants to come here give him 1-2 years and about 5-6 million to see if he still has his top game.

All he cares about is cash and term. That was evident when he left us after the 2011 run. Refused NYI and ultimately said he wants to win a cup in Buffalo. Bet he didn't get that out with a straight face.

All of that makes me question his character and commitment. I would not move one of our top 4 D for this guy unless the contract was ridiculously favourable.

He was our PP quarterback and made Edler a better player. But now he's 3 years older and probably picked up some terrible habits in Buffalo

I like the idea of him going to Detroit and convincing AHLex to waive for them. If we're really rebuilding, AHLex may reconsider waiving his NTC to go to a contender.

It's not about him waiving his NTC, it's the fact that management wants to keep Edler as of now and Edler really wants to stay in Vancouver.

Linden has said positive things about Edler many times and he's said that he wants to keep him, meanwhile Benning has also added in positive things about Edler.

Edler is going to be here next season, deal with it.

All he cares about is cash and term. That was evident when he left us after the 2011 run. Refused NYI and ultimately said he wants to win a cup in Buffalo. Bet he didn't get that out with a straight face.

All of that makes me question his character and commitment. I would not move one of our top 4 D for this guy unless the contract was ridiculously favourable.

He was our PP quarterback and made Edler a better player. But now he's 3 years older and probably picked up some terrible habits in Buffalo

At the time Buffalo had a decent team with Miller, Vanek, Myers, Roy, and Pomminville. Plus they had a ton of cap space that they were willing to use up to build a contender.

Clearly they sold him on their plan. And it's not like he's the first UFA to go to a team offering a monster contract.. Is Weber greedy for signing Philly's offer sheet and screwing over Nashville?

Sbisa who rode the pine in the playoffs top 4? I'm not going to say he can't be one, but he's our 7th D until he proves otherwise.

Sbisa will definitely be our 5th defenseman if not higher up, Stanton will be our 7/8th along with maybe Weber. Sbisa was having injury problems last season but has said that he is now 100% cleared and feels like they were just one time injuries.

Sbisa is the type of guy you want playing night in and night out, especially with how physical he can be. Stanton will most likely end up on the outside looking in and Sbisa will be playing in the season opener.

Buffalo should offer to take on David Clarkson, but the Leafers take their 2015 StL 1st, while sending theirs to Buff.

Imagine if the Sabs had 3 of the top 5 2015 1sts? Lordee

They could send a similar offer to Philly for LeCav(get Philly's 1st)..guy will probably always be on LTIR anyways.

Archived