The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordan Schroeder in Minnesota

I loved Santorelli last year, but you have to remember that he has historically been a very streaky player. I'm guessing JB didn't want to risk a signing like that.

It also has to do with the fact that this team wants to start building for the future, and transitioning in youth.

Filling the roster out with veteran players and leaving no spots open for young players doesn't do anything to accomplish that goal.

Historically, Cooke has been one of the best 3rd liners in the league. Even last season, he scored 10 goals and 28 points last year, while throwing 190 hits, and missing zero games to injury.

Assuming that the smaller, less experienced, less productive, and far more brittle Schroeder has a good shot at taking Cooke's bottom-6 roster spot seems more silly to me.

Exactly. There's too much reason to not like Matt Cooke, but the guy has been, and continues to be one of the most effective bottom 6 players in the entire league. He'll do the same this coming season.

Jordan Schroeder hurt his shoulder during his first year in the AHL & spent 3 seasons playing with it hurt, before finally having surgery on it last year.

So last year was only his 2nd season where he came into camp completely healthy, he then broke his foot during training camp & missed the first half of the season.

He's never really had a chance to come in healthy & show what he could do from the start of a season.

He is small but despite comments to the contrary on this thread he was always very good defensively when given a chance to play.

I hate that the Canucks didn't qualify him.

He was a free asset & given how weak we are at center ice this season it was a completely risk free move to give him a chance to come into training camp & try to win a job.

At the very least it helps the competition for a roster spot & the worst case scenario was him not winning a job & getting claimed off waivers.

Another seriously questionable case of asset management by Benning.

Yea benning is just losing assets. Still can't believe his moves. ... He did make some good moves though.

We'll have to see how the season fairs

We brought in Bonino who slots in as our 2nd line centre and there's no way Schroeder can play a bottom-6 centre role. And like the previous poster mentioned, we also have a number of centre prospects who will make their way onto our team in a couple of years. We also have 4 RWs in Vrbata, Kassian, Burrows, and, as a call-up, Jensen, and all of them would play ahead of him on the wing. There just isn't room for him on this team. I'm happy for him that he gets to play for his home team in front of family and friends. Best of luck Jordan.

Jordan Schroeder hurt his shoulder during his first year in the AHL & spent 3 seasons playing with it hurt, before finally having surgery on it last year.

So last year was only his 2nd season where he came into camp completely healthy, he then broke his foot during training camp & missed the first half of the season.

He's never really had a chance to come in healthy & show what he could do from the start of a season.

He is small but despite comments to the contrary on this thread he was always very good defensively when given a chance to play.

I hate that the Canucks didn't qualify him.

He was a free asset & given how weak we are at center ice this season it was a completely risk free move to give him a chance to come into training camp & try to win a job.

At the very least it helps the competition for a roster spot & the worst case scenario was him not winning a job & getting claimed off waivers.

Another seriously questionable case of asset management by Benning.

When you have Henrik Sedin, Nick Bonino, Linden Vey, Shawn Matthias, Brad Richardson, Bo Horvat, Dane Fox and Jared McCann in the system, qualifying Jordan Schroeder would not have helped at all. There are several other, more qualified C's in the system. In order to strengthen our C-line, (if needed) we should bring in a bonafide 2-line C, who is better than the ones we already have in the organization. Jordan Schroeder is not better than Bonino, Matthias, Sedin or Richardson. The jury is still out on the prospects and Vey. With all the C's the Canucks has at their disposal, it will be fine.

He was worth next to nothing, and moving him would have been difficult. At least now he got a chance to get into a team while they still had space for his contract.

Doubt he'll be able to do much in Minnesota. Deep forward group, will be hard for him to get a spot in the top 9. Playing for his home state could help though. He needs to be in the top 6 or a team with an aggressive 3rd liner (willing to take chances to score).

Thought he would sign in Carolina or Ottawa.

That kind of sounds like the direction the Canucks are taking with Vey and Horvat in the system. Ironic.

He's going to explode, played only 56 NHL games and labeled a bust.

I'm going to laugh when he becomes successful because of all this nonsense of he is too small. He was our best passer after Henrik, best hockey IQ after the Sedins.

yes... injured almost the whole time. He had a chance but didn't show much here... Maybe because of injury

I honestly think he will benefit the most playing with superstar players on the East.

1) Seems to be less physical and have a little bit more room for him to use his nice passing.

2) With the other teams players all focused onto their superstars, he can use his speed to surprise the other team's defenders

For me, Schroeder's only chance of staying in NHL seems to be a great complimentary player to some superstar.

Archived