The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To the people saying "trade Burrows" ....

The Listening

bur is a heart and soul guy that every team needs...he was injured and never got back to form last year....much like many players...

some of us want to give him this year to see if he can re-invent himself...i think he can...just my opinion...

i am perfectly fine with 1 year for Burrows and the rest of the old regime but if they still struggle in the new division to the point where it's like 2013/2014 again then it is time to move as much as Benning can for whatever he can get and start building a new core

the difference between burrows and the sedins is that even when burr isnt scoring he is still a great asset to the team a great checker , brings energy , PK,gets under the skin of the opponents, you can plug him in on any line and it instantly gets better... i have no doubt in my mind he gets back to mid 20 goals and assists next year.

i am perfectly fine with 1 year for Burrows and the rest of the old regime but if they still struggle in the new division to the point where it's like 2013/2014 again then it is time to move as much as Benning can for whatever he can get and start building a new core

the problem with moving those guys before the young guys are ready to take over is exactly what edmonton has been going through....

I think Burrows is a quality player, however, if he struggles again this year it would appear that his time here is done. I prefer not to trade him if he is performing. What i suspect is that JB will move him in a hurry if things do not turn around for Burr by late november. He is not shy about changing the "core" as evident with Kesler Garrison and his comments around he is not shy to ask players to waive. Finally he wants to give the kids a chance.

His spot is the 2LW spot.

Shinkaruk and Jensen will be running for that even if they're sent to the AHL to start the season.

We aren't winning the cup with this lineup. If there are young players who are ready for a spot in the middle six, we make room for them.

We need to stop living in the past.

Well I trading practises sure haven't got us anywhere yet. I am sick and tired of making bonehead moves and trading Burrows at this juncture is not the right move. He deserves another year to get back to his level. If he doesn't then consider moving him. He suffered last year due to his injuries. Forget what he is getting paid. Everyone needs to sit back and quit knee jerking on this issue.

We will not get another player in place of him for the same money and all the same attributes. Who is out there and available? Can anyone answer that; no you can't because there is no one available that is any better and as I have said before, to get the same value, you will need to relent in giving up more to another team.

I am all ears, let's hear your answers

I think Burrows is a quality player, however, if he struggles again this year it would appear that his time here is done. I prefer not to trade him if he is performing. What i suspect is that JB will move him in a hurry if things do not turn around for Burr by late november. He is not shy about changing the "core" as evident with Kesler Garrison and his comments around he is not shy to ask players to waive. Finally he wants to give the kids a chance.

I don't think even Burr would ask for anything more. He wants that chance to succeed. He fought tooth and nail to get into the NHL and stay there so why would he be any different now. He is a proven warrior who is all heart and soul when it comes to making up his mind to do something.

The irony of it all is that I believe there is not a GM out there who would not love to have Burrows on his team!

the difference between burrows and the sedins is that even when burr isnt scoring he is still a great asset to the team a great checker , brings energy , PK,gets under the skin of the opponents, you can plug him in on any line and it instantly gets better... i have no doubt in my mind he gets back to mid 20 goals and assists next year.

Sedins keep possession when they're not scoring. Burrows lost possession a lot, since he would take shots that had no real chance of going in (desperate for a goal). This led to a faceoff or the opposing team starting a breakout.

The only player that has fit with the twins other than Anson Carter is Burrows. If Radim can't play with the twins, and it ends up being too much for Jensen to handle What then?

Who played with the twins when they were at their best, would that have been Burrows.

Notice that when Burrows had a bad year due to injury the Twins were not that great either?

If you trade Burrows you may destroy the top line-which would suit those in favour of "tanking" for a year.

PS- how many threads does this topic need?

Burrows and his $4.5M contract doesn't bother me as much as some others, but if someone calls about him....Benning should be listening (NTC aside). The team missed the playoffs; there are no indispensable players here. It's goofy to think there are.

Well I trading practises sure haven't got us anywhere yet. I am sick and tired of making bonehead moves and trading Burrows at this juncture is not the right move. He deserves another year to get back to his level. If he doesn't then consider moving him. He suffered last year due to his injuries. Forget what he is getting paid. Everyone needs to sit back and quit knee jerking on this issue.

We will not get another player in place of him for the same money and all the same attributes. Who is out there and available? Can anyone answer that; no you can't because there is no one available that is any better and as I have said before, to get the same value, you will need to relent in giving up more to another team.

I am all ears, let's hear your answers

Ok, I'll give it a shot...

Assuming the attributes you're talking about are the PK, agitation, and solid all round defensive play. We have an abundance of bottom 6 forwards that can potentially bring these attributes that Burrows brings.

We got Hansen, Dorsett, Vey, Matthias, and mabye a prospect or two should they make the team.

As for playing with the Sedins, we got a few potential suitors with Vrbata, Kassian, and Jensen. Any of these three have the ability to match, or exceed the production Burrows had with the twins.

I don't think the talk of trading Burrows is so much a knee-jerk reaction, as it is recognizing that this team needs to get younger, and we need to make room for them on the roster. Burrows has been very good for us, but is not irreplaceable.

I do agree that right now might be the best time to trade him, but only because his value might increase if he plays well this year. If that happens, we could flip him for a better return than what we would get right now.

He played about 18 minutes a game last season. 0 goals in his first what, 30 games, and he wasn't even good defensively with a brutal +/-. And if you thought you could just go blame Tortorella and the coaching for his lack of production, look at how poorly he played at the World Championships. Bieksa and Garrison fared well, but Burrows was probably their worst player.

The guy is washed up and needs to go. Who knows, maybe a new coach will get him going again, but I'd much rather give him 10 minutes on the 4th line (if he won't get traded) and give those extra 8 minutes to young kids like Kassian and Jensen who can not only prove themselves with extra ice time, but can actually score us some goals.

Archived