The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$200 Square Watermelons For Sale in Vancouver

DonLever

Spending $200 on a watermelon may not seem like a sound investment, but the manager of a local grocery store says people in Vancouver are doing it, and not for the first time.

“We brought in 10 and we have six left,” said Tyler Wynn of the square watermelons currently on sale at the Urban Fare Market he manages in the city’s Coal Harbour neighbourhood. “We’ve sold out every time we’ve brought the watermelons in.”

“They’re a very innovative product that our company likes to bring in,” Wynn said. “These square watermelons draw a lot of attention.”

Photos
image.jpg

$200 square watermelons are for sale at Urban Fare in Coal Harbour, where the manager says the novelty fruits always sell out.

image.jpg

CTV News staff members tasted one of the square watermelons and were unimpressed.

That much is evident. Inside Wynn’s store, a steady stream of shoppers was taking pictures of the novelty fruit and its $199.99 price tag Tuesday morning. Local social and traditional media have been abuzz with stories about the square watermelons since they arrived at Urban Fare locations around the city last week.

The square watermelons are imported from Japan, where they’re grown in tempered-glass cases that force them to take on their unique shape. Inside, though, they’re the same as any other watermelon.

“They’re just like a regular watermelon,” Wynn said. “They have seeds. They’re the same color inside. They taste the same as a regular watermelon, as well. They’re just square.”

CTV News staff members tasted one of the square watermelons Tuesday afternoon. Its inside was yellow, rather than pink or red, suggesting that it was under-ripe. The flavour garnered less-than-positive reviews. Some staff members said it tasted like watermelon, only blander. Others characterized it politely as “flavourless,” and less-politely as “horrible.”

Wynn said people buy the square fruits because of the novelty. They’re instant conversation pieces that can make the buyer the centre of attention at a backyard barbecue.

Shopper Christopher Dempsey said he’d have to work some overtime shifts in order to buy one, but he was intrigued by the possibility of trying a square watermelon at a party with friends.

“If you’re going to bring that out for a barbecue, I think it definitely would pique people’s interests,” Dempsey said. “I think they’re very interesting. I’ve never seen a square watermelon before.”

Have your say: Would you buy a $200 watermelon

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/200-square-watermelons-are-selling-despite-the-price-tag-1.1915180#ixzz37c2VNojy

People who burn $200 at a BBQ for something like that are people who I don't want to hang out with.

Think how many burgers that would come out to.

My thoughts exactly. Morons like that would not be in my circle of friends.

Even if you have the money, it's still stupid.

My thoughts exactly. Morons like that would not be in my circle of friends.

Even if you have the money, it's still stupid.

Depends on the circumstance. If the person is loaded, there's absolutely no problem with them buying it. 200 bucks is chump change for a lot of people. On the other hand, you have to ask the guy in the article, if it's worth working overtime just for a oddly shaped watermelon.

Depends on the circumstance. If the person is loaded, there's absolutely no problem with them buying it. 200 bucks is chump change for a lot of people. On the other hand, you have to ask the guy in the article, if it's worth working overtime just for a oddly shaped watermelon.

If it tastes like regular watermelon why bother? Also it seems to imply that the watermelon tastes gross

To give some context, these are bought as gifts in Japan, rather than as food. Often they're inedible as they never fully ripen. It doesn't make a lot of sense there, and makes less sense here.

If it tastes like regular watermelon why bother? Also it seems to imply that the watermelon tastes gross

Cause some people don't know it taste like regular watermelon, and some people just like to buy things to show off.

Spending $200 on a watermelon may not seem like a sound investment, but the manager of a local grocery store says people in Vancouver are doing it, and not for the first time.

“We brought in 10 and we have six left,” said Tyler Wynn of the square watermelons currently on sale at the Urban Fare Market he manages in the city’s Coal Harbour neighbourhood. “We’ve sold out every time we’ve brought the watermelons in.”

“They’re a very innovative product that our company likes to bring in,” Wynn said. “These square watermelons draw a lot of attention.”

Photos
image.jpg

$200 square watermelons are for sale at Urban Fare in Coal Harbour, where the manager says the novelty fruits always sell out.

image.jpg

CTV News staff members tasted one of the square watermelons and were unimpressed.

That much is evident. Inside Wynn’s store, a steady stream of shoppers was taking pictures of the novelty fruit and its $199.99 price tag Tuesday morning. Local social and traditional media have been abuzz with stories about the square watermelons since they arrived at Urban Fare locations around the city last week.

The square watermelons are imported from Japan, where they’re grown in tempered-glass cases that force them to take on their unique shape. Inside, though, they’re the same as any other watermelon.

“They’re just like a regular watermelon,” Wynn said. “They have seeds. They’re the same color inside. They taste the same as a regular watermelon, as well. They’re just square.”

CTV News staff members tasted one of the square watermelons Tuesday afternoon. Its inside was yellow, rather than pink or red, suggesting that it was under-ripe. The flavour garnered less-than-positive reviews. Some staff members said it tasted like watermelon, only blander. Others characterized it politely as “flavourless,” and less-politely as “horrible.”

Wynn said people buy the square fruits because of the novelty. They’re instant conversation pieces that can make the buyer the centre of attention at a backyard barbecue.

Shopper Christopher Dempsey said he’d have to work some overtime shifts in order to buy one, but he was intrigued by the possibility of trying a square watermelon at a party with friends.

“If you’re going to bring that out for a barbecue, I think it definitely would pique people’s interests,” Dempsey said. “I think they’re very interesting. I’ve never seen a square watermelon before.”

Have your say: Would you buy a $200 watermelon

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/200-square-watermelons-are-selling-despite-the-price-tag-1.1915180#ixzz37c2VNojy

Talk about living in a society where garnering attention is more important than anything else. $200 for a fruit just because of its novelty? I buy fruits to eat it, not to put it on the table as a decor just so people can talk about it. Talk about lame.

If I was rich, I would still not spend $200 on a unnaturally grown watermelon. I'd rather donate that money to charity or give $200 to a homeless person than buy a fruit that doesn't even taste good. This is like literally flushing the money into the toilet. That melon will also get spoiled and rot, it won't last a lifetime.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. They've been selling square Apples for years...

NW_Apple2.jpeg

But square Apples unlike Square watermelons actually function and perform uses. Which is more than a novelty fruit.

I agree with DefCon1. I'd admire someone more spending $200 donating to a food bank or charity.

Things bought as a status symbol or solely to "impress others" really just highlight flaws and deficiencies more than anything in my view. Prove your worth by being a kind, generous person, not through mindless extravagance.

Archived