The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brassard and Zuccarello contracts.

Plum

NHL EXPERT PICKS @NHLexpertpicks
Derrick Brassard seeking $5.5M from #NYR in negotiations, Mats Zuccarello looking for $4.5M.

NHL on NBC (@NHLonNBCSports) reports that Rangers player Mats Zuccarello is seeking 4.5m in his new deal and Derrick Brassard is seeking 5.5m. Here's the article link: http://t.co/DrKQnjewch

There’s a reason why the New York Rangers didn’t make a major splash with the cap space they saved by buying out Brad Richards. They needed that room for their restricted free agents.
Although they currently have about $13 million in cap space remaining for the 2014-15 campaign, per Cap Geek, the Rangers still have to lock up forwards Derick Brassard, Chris Kreider, Mats Zuccarello, and defenseman John Moore.
The first three players on that list filed for arbitration and are all likely to get big paydays. However, the Rangers might be willing to give them even more annually than they would be awarded during their hearings if it would mean locking them up to long-term deals, according to the New York Post.
For example, it’s estimated that Zuccarello will be awarded around $3.7 million and $4 million after leading the team with 59 points last season. If the Rangers want to sign him to a multi-year contract though, it’s believed that Zuccarello would be expect around $4.5 million annually. Similarly, Brassard reportedly wants $5.5 million annually if the Rangers want to lock him up, although he could end up with roughly a million less than that in 2014-15 if the Rangers decide to go forward with his hearing.
Those two contracts alone will eat up most of the Rangers’ remaining cap space, but it would still leave them with enough room to get Kreider signed. After scoring 17 goals and 37 points in 66 games last season, Kreider’s arbitration date is scheduled for Wednesday. The Rangers are reportedly attempting to sign him to a two-year deal, but if that doesn’t work out, he will likely be awarded between $2.1 million and $2.5 million for the 2014-15 campaign.
----------------------
Brassard shouldn't get that much but I could see Zuccarello getting that much. They'll likely take Brassard to arbitration and reach a deal around 4-5 million.
They're in a cap crunch nonetheless.

I guess we're entering an era where top 3rd line centers make over 5 million... :sadno: sigh....

Someone should point this out to those folks dissing Horvat as a bust because he may only become top-5 as a 'shutdown center' in the NHL .. Bo will be fine .. :)

Remember when we were worried over Raymond as a 40+ point winger making $2.5? And Kesler's $5M being too much for him if he continued having injury issues? Yeah, well...

He's worth 4 million, Bolland got 5.5.

Just because Bolland got $5.5M doesn't make it right. It wasn't that long ago no one seemed to want Brassard at $3.5M.

lol no way Brassard deserves $5.5 mil

Zucarello on the other hand would be a steal at $4.5 mil imo.... hes a really underrated player in my mind. Hes just entering his prime at 26 yrs old and I think he can consistently be a 40-50 point guy for a number of years in this league.

Brassard is 26 too and can be a 40-50 point guy for a number of years. 5.5 is a bit high though but he would be the #2 C

Just because Bolland got $5.5M doesn't make it right. It wasn't that long ago no one seemed to want Brassard at $3.5M.

It actually makes it sound like a great deal because Brassard>Bolland. Tom Sestito said he isn't even worth 4M.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think it'd be nuts to give Brassard more than 3 million a year.

3 million is very low.

Y'all gotta realize that's what he's asking for. Nobody ever asks for something that they'll get. He asks for higher, they offer lower, then they meet in the middle. I fully expect him to get around 5 million.

I guess we're entering an era where top 3rd line centers make over 5 million... :sadno: sigh....

Yea we are. Look at bolland. Brassard isn't worth that much. I'd rather give Krieder that much money compared to brassard. Wonder if Benning has any plans up his sleeve involving these players/ teams who are in cap trouble

Archived