The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The UFA leftovers

Lui's Knob

Sifting through the final UFA crop shows pretty much how dead the market has been since the flurry of activity on July 1st.

There still are a couple names out there that could garner interest from JB?

• Daniel Alfredsson (would he play on the 2nd line 1 year - 1mill?)
  • Joni Pitkanen (depth puck moving Fin; played in Carolina...former GM seemed to have interest with the Canes roster lately)
  • Sami Salo - retire as a Canuck? depth dman? 1 year term?
  • Devin Setoguchi - still out there...
  • Del Zotto - does anybody want this guy?
  • Dustin Penner - 31 years old; bounced around from team to team but is a big (yet soft) player; do the canucks give him a PTO?
  • Jamie McBain - former Canes player; still young, depth D (2 way?)
  • Cory Emmerton - did he go KHL bound?

It's a pretty weak list - the only one in terms of a depth Dman vet (Salo/McBain) and 2nd line short term scorer (Alfie) are most appealing...

Alfredsson could have been an desperate option if we weren't able to sign Vrbata, but now i'd rather give Jensen, Vey, Shink, Gaunce and/or Horvat a shot.

Plus I think we already have 1 extra top 9 forward (Higgins, Hansen, Burrows one of them has to go imo)

And I don't see how Pitkanen helps our D.

Sifting through the final UFA crop shows pretty much how dead the market has been since the flurry of activity on July 1st.

There still are a couple names out there that could garner interest from JB?

• Dustin Penner - 31 years old; bounced around from team to team but is a big (yet soft) player; do the canucks give him a PTO?

I heard Penner signed a 1 year deal in Zug.. Still waiting for an official report on it though.

We don't need to sign any more free agents. We need to add some youth like Vey,Jensen, Horvat, Gaunce, etc...Give some room for them to shine.

The young guys should have to earn it. Not be handed spots.

I'd love to see many on the roster but only if they earn it.

I am not 100% confident on our bottom pairing right-side defenseman. I would go with Salo. McBain may be a slight upgrade on the guys we have battling for that spot.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Corrado/Weber/Sanguinetti

Stanton

Stanton is far ahead of the 3 players you have as the RD on the 3rd pairing.

Sanguinetti won't even be on the roster. He is an AHL signing.

Archived