The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - BUF Getting a solid Top 3 d man. 9 (proposal)

To Buff: 3rd in 2015, Cederholm

To Van; Gorges.

I think this is a fair trade.

Buffalo gets a mid pick in a 3rd round deep draft, they also get a young stay at home d prospect in cederholm.

Vancouver gets a top 3 d man that blocks the most shots in the league. I think he is still pretty young and can mentor Tanev. He also provides great leader ship, and could take kesler's A. He's also on a decent contract

thoughts?

Buffalo needs veteran leadership to help their young players grow. Gorges is a great team guy and was brought in to help their younger defensemen. He's also going to be, along with Gionta, the elder voice in the dressing room to help straighten out young ego's. Buffalo says no.

How exactly is that a fair trade for Buffalo???

Buffalo just traded a 2nd round pick to Montreal to get Gorges.

So really the net effect for them is they'd be trading Gorges and a 2nd for Cederholm (who may never play a game in the NHL) and a 4th. Would you do that deal if you were them?

How exactly is that a fair trade for Buffalo???

Buffalo just traded a 2nd round pick to Montreal to get Gorges.

So really the net effect for them is they'd be trading Gorges and a 2nd for Cederholm (who may never play a game in the NHL) and a 4th. Would you do that deal if you were them?

Buffalo would only be trading a 2nd for Cederholm and a 4th. Since the 2nd was dealt for Gorges.

But yes, Buffalo still says no.

he never said it was fair for them. A 4th round pick, a prior 5th round pick. Statistically it is unlikely either will play in the NHL. For a top 3 experience dman LMAO

Not specifically, but it was implied. 'A fair trade' suggests for both sides.

But with Buffalo just getting Gorges, needing more veteran/leadership presence, and us already having plenty of D (particularly left handers) it makes little to no sense.

I wouldn't do it simply because we already have similar left handed guys with physical tools, but those guys probably have slightly higher offensive upside and come at lower cost. Hammer and Edler are solid Top 4 guys, and either of Sbisa or Stanton can play that safe, physical mobile D-man's game in the bottom pairing while also having more offensive upside than we've seen so far. While it would be good to get Gorges for that cheap price in terms of assets I don't see why we'd need to go for him when he brings a hefty $3.9 M cap hit to essentially fit in our bottom pairing (he's not a right-side guy and we have Tanev in the Top 4 now). I'd rather get a replacement for Alberts as the #7/#8 guy and call it a day for bolstering the back end.

Hammer - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa - Stanton
Weber

Wow. That sure would be nice but never going to happen. Maybe if we threw Tanev in as well it may happen. People please stop posting nonsense trades, it has to be at least close in value to be considered, all draft picks are gambles with less risk the lower the number - nobody is going to trade a bona fide player now for a possible player later unless it is for salary cap reasons or pending free agency and they can't or are unwilling to re-sign their player. Someone might as add a thread Horvat for Hodgson.

Archived