The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

I'm heavily considering doing some training to become a volunteer counselor, I view it as a chance to do something for someone other than myself and take a step towards going back to school for social services. It's a large time commitment (100 hours of counseling post-training) though. I'm also worried about going through the training and not being able to do it, which is what happened when I went through crisis line training a couple years back. That being said, the biggest issue I had with that experience was that you never know what you're getting when you pick up the phone and you worked in a purely assessment/deescalation model. It was more complicated than that but that's pretty close.

I've gotta do more homework but it's been on my mind a lot.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'm heavily considering doing some training to become a volunteer counselor, I view it as a chance to do something for someone other than myself and take a step towards going back to school for social services. It's a large time commitment (100 hours of counseling post-training) though. I'm also worried about going through the training and not being able to do it, which is what happened when I went through crisis line training a couple years back. That being said, the biggest issue I had with that experience was that you never know what you're getting when you pick up the phone and you worked in a purely assessment/deescalation model. It was more complicated than that but that's pretty close.

I've gotta do more homework but it's been on my mind a lot.

the most useful info i got in all my counselling years was,

how ever a person reacts to any situation, is normal for them at that time. it may be 100% wrong, but their reactions are all they know at that point. working with young offenders, i found this most helpful. we try to fix people. what we need to do is, learn why they think the way they do and then offer them alternative choices. these boys came to us, hating all authority. you don't punish them for that but rather find out why they do. you have to gain their trust and then help them see why they think the way they do. they have to fix themselves. we just walk along side of them on that journey.

• Like 3

I prefer it when the Canucks play on the east coast so I can go to bed on time. During the week I've been going to bed at 8:30-9pm so I am more rested for work and so far it's paying off.  The week goes by super fast like Wednesdays don't even exist. 

• Cheers 1

I have a deep love for biographies and Star Wars novels. Well, anything Star Wars related really. But the expanded universe has always made me happy even if Disney trashed a bunch of it. With biographies it's often musicians, actors, criminals/law enforcement, ect. I used to think they were boring but people lead such interesting lives and their stories are often more interesting than any fiction someone could make up.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:01 PM, Coconuts said:

I have a deep love for biographies and Star Wars novels. Well, anything Star Wars related really. But the expanded universe has always made me happy even if Disney trashed a bunch of it. With biographies it's often musicians, actors, criminals/law enforcement, ect. I used to think they were boring but people lead such interesting lives and their stories are often more interesting than any fiction someone could make up.

Do you listen to the WTF podcast?  It's an extended interview (basically a bio) of a guest.  It may be down your alley.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about it the last couple days so I'll probably give it a shot. Gonna give up liquor for February, I don't drink a whole lot in terms of volume but I've begun to drink more frequently than I'd like. I've had too many alcoholic friends and I'm wary of it becoming a problem, it's probably nothing but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Psylocke said:

As a longtime doggy aunt, I will have to respectfully disagree. 

I'm actually indifferent when it comes to cats, don't dislike them, not drawn to them. I took my daughter to a cat cafe and I completely ignored the cats.... and you guessed it, they wouldn't leave me alone :lol:

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm actually indifferent when it comes to cats, don't dislike them, not drawn to them. I took my daughter to a cat cafe and I completely ignored the cats.... and you guessed it, they wouldn't leave me alone :lol:

I used to dislike cats, but I've grown to be okay with them in recent years. 

Only cat I really interacted with and took care of was my ex's mom's cat (she was a sweetie though).