The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

Sounds like you've done a lot for your current employer. Hopefully you can figure out a way to leave on good terms. I wouldn't discount telling them about the offer and how tempting it is due to the poor work conditions and then seeing if they'd do something to try to keep you. Maybe you can play them off each other. Only you know how the owners are though and how they'd take the news.

we have 2 owners. one of them will be pretty bummed out and the other will try play it off like "okay buddy, good luck out there" in that tone like everything that i've done for them over the past few months meant nothing. that attitude alone is why he's losing 2 of our best servers, and now me. when i first started the kitchen thing, i've developed a lot of respect for people who work the service industry. i can't do that. i dont have the personality for it; i can't act fake, but they even had me out in the front of the house on a few occasions on friday and saturday busing cause the servers were getting smoked, and this is after kitchen closed and i wanted to go home, and this is like 2am. no one there can say that i didn't care :x

this new gig, i'm strictly, line cook. no headaches hassles and horse**** but i have some experience in the management side. as a sophomore cook, i've learned stuff you learn 5-6 years into the business

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

Dudes life was a mess circa in utero

Courtenay and him battling heroin/pills and the courts for possession of frances....big contributor to that album...

Just a sad and ugly existence.

Edit:

As a fan, though not my favourite of that era, I enjoyed the production of nevermind as much as any other album.

Personally I think their often overlooked Incesticide, is their best album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31W02jXlB5o

i just learned that i dont know how to quit a job .__. i was offered another gig, with better pay, but i can't simply go to the owners to tell them that cause i dont want to think that im leaving with bad blood, considering that we're hurting so much for kitchen staff, but i've had enough, and after 18 months, it's time to move on :x

Look out for numero uno hombre. Sounds like they're reaping what they sew with their poor management anyway. Don't feel bad for people like that IMO. It's their fault their staff (including you) are leaving them in a tough spot, not yours.

Be polite and respectful but tell them you've been offered a better opportunity with more pay and wish them well.

Edited by J.R.

I confess -

I don't like lightning. I get wary when I see lightning. Today I was coming out of Starbucks, and saw a streak of lightning close to the ground, and went back inside. I was like - woah, I am staying inside.., and stayed inside until my Lunch was over. There's like a 1 in some odd chance of being hit by lightning, but you never know..

As a fan, though not my favourite of that era, I enjoyed the production of nevermind as much as any other album.

i think, obviously, the song writing is great. but nah, the production for me is too crisp. it's sooo clean and compressed. do you not feel like the album just SOUNDS fake? compare it to their other releases (or god forbid their live material) and it's just night and day. Cobain later said he was embarrassed by it and that it sounds like a Motley Crue record. but obviously a lot of people really like it. most people probably don't even care about production haha

personally, and this is just my taste, i like my rock music to sound like it's kinda dirty and quickly made. basically cheap. this is why i dig indie rock so much. it sounds cheap and authentic, and you can tell very few people have their hands in it other than the musicians

anyway, in the re-issue of In Utero, you can find the 4 page production proposition letter from Steve Albini to Nirvana about how the vision and aim of the album, it's actually kinda interesting. i like the line about "if an album takes more than a week to record, someone is screwing up"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/read-steve-albinis-proposal-to-produce-nirvanas-in-utero/

Personally I think their often overlooked Incesticide, is their best album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31W02jXlB5o

Look out for numero uno hombre. Sounds like they're reaping what they sew with their poor management anyway. Don't feel bad for people like that IMO. It's their fault their staff (including you) are leaving them in a tough spot, not yours.

Be polite and respectful but tell them you've been offered a better opportunity with more pay and wish them well.

Agreed. It is a good album...I had all the albums at one point

i think, obviously, the song writing is great. but nah, the production for me is too crisp. it's sooo clean and compressed. do you not feel like the album just SOUNDS fake? compare it to their other releases (or god forbid their live material) and it's just night and day. Cobain later said he was embarrassed by it and that it sounds like a Motley Crue record. but obviously a lot of people really like it. most people probably don't even care about production haha

personally, and this is just my taste, i like my rock music to sound like it's kinda dirty and quickly made. basically cheap. this is why i dig indie rock so much. it sounds cheap and authentic, and you can tell very few people have their hands in it other than the musicians

anyway, in the re-issue of In Utero, you can find the 4 page production proposition letter from Steve Albini to Nirvana about how the vision and aim of the album, it's actually kinda interesting. i like the line about "if an album takes more than a week to record, someone is screwing up"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/read-steve-albinis-proposal-to-produce-nirvanas-in-utero/

Thanks for that info/link... I will have a read.

I totally agree on production when it comes to rock/etc.....I guess my mains attraction to this production of nevermind for me was it highlighted the drumming. I'm a big fan of Dave Grohl the drummer. Not Dave Foo.

The guy hits super hard meanwhile being tight. I'm drawn to bands that have a drummer as a key role.

Not to say I don't enjoy the production of the other earlier works.

Also a fan of early punk, indie and certainly rock n roll I too love it dirty and imperfect....as I've gotten older I listen to a lot more live recordings when possible for this reason.

Your comment about the production a result of the artists doings is spot on.

Music is art. It's not a commodity imo. Hence why most bands best work is the first couple albums generally speaking.

Possibly, at the time of nevermind, nobody cared about its production other than Kurt. It was after all strongly written and new material that was blowing a lot of young people away. It's only now as we are older and have reference we can make these comparisons.

As nirvana ended so quickly, I at the time, felt they were still developing their overall sound/direction. To me nevermind was another step.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind a zombie apocalypse. That way I don't need to pursue an actual career and can drink all I want

Amen. This whole career path thing is overwhelming.

I'm excited for WWIII. I'm not sadistic or psycho; it's just something exciting going on in the world.

I don't want Vancouver looking like Detroit.

This is London in 1945, 127 people were killed by this missile strike.

Damage_Caused_by_V2_Rocket_Attacks_in_Br

The thought of nuclear warfare terrifies me. are they any laws for biological warfare?

Same. And now that countries are getting into robotic warfare it's even more terrifying.

I'm sure there are laws on what can and can't be done in war but do you really think a country is going to follow them if they're having nuclear bombs dropped on them?

But with that said I think the chances of a WW3 are extremely low, countries know that they're going to get nuked and over half the worlds population would probably be killed. There really wouldn't be a winner.

Edited by Gyllenhaal