The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nonis: No player is untouchable

one of the lesser GMs of the league

leafs have high paid players that are not worth it.

I would trade Kessel, phaneyf, kadri and bozak and in return try to get

future 1c and 1D, and a top 6 forward.

Kessel + Franson to NYI for Strome and Reinhart and cap dump and 2015 2nd

Kadri and Bozak to SJS for Thornton

Phaneuf to colorado for maginn and elliot and colorado 2nd 2015

Ok. Nonis is not that stupid.

one of the lesser GMs of the league

leafs have high paid players that are not worth it.

I would trade Kessel, phaneyf, kadri and bozak and in return try to get

future 1c and 1D, and a top 6 forward.

Kessel + Franson to NYI for Strome and Reinhart and cap dump and 2015 2nd

Kadri and Bozak to SJS for Thornton

Phaneuf to colorado for maginn and elliot and colorado 2nd 2015

Only feasible deal is Strome for Kessel. Who is Maginn?

How is it the fans fault that Burke traded for Kessel and that is the least of Toronto's worries. The awful Clarkson contract, a paper thin defense and a terrible coach are all bigger problems. I shake my head at all those who say trading Phaneuf is a good idea, he faces some of the toughest competition in the league and will have to do it again with a guy like Roman Polak on the top pairing.

Phaneuf would be a decent #2 if they had a proper #1 to pair him with or even someone like Hamhuis or a Hjalmarsson would be a perfect partner for him. He has been miscast in a role as a shutdown defenseman when he is much more effective being the offensive defenseman along with a shutdown partner. Gunarsson was a decent player but he is more of a #4 than a #2 and now they traded him for a #5 lol. Its already a mess there, there is no need to blow up the team. I think they will give the Sabres a good fight for last place in the conference.

Because instead of building through the draft. Burke goes to make a big splash, trade away 2 high first round picks to get Kessel.

Leaf fans rejoice because its a quick fix. All these trades that Burke and Nonis and a lot of their predecessors do are to try quick fixes to long term problems. Toronto isn't hiring a GM to help draft good players, and build through the draft. They want to show the fans they are addressing the problem right now. That impatience is costing the team dearly. The fans and ownership need to understand you don't build a Cup winner overnight. They need to hire a GM that will do the job correctly, and let him do his job.

How is it the fans fault that Burke traded for Kessel and that is the least of Toronto's worries. The awful Clarkson contract, a paper thin defense and a terrible coach are all bigger problems. I shake my head at all those who say trading Phaneuf is a good idea, he faces some of the toughest competition in the league and will have to do it again with a guy like Roman Polak on the top pairing.

Phaneuf would be a decent #2 if they had a proper #1 to pair him with or even someone like Hamhuis or a Hjalmarsson would be a perfect partner for him. He has been miscast in a role as a shutdown defenseman when he is much more effective being the offensive defenseman along with a shutdown partner. Gunarsson was a decent player but he is more of a #4 than a #2 and now they traded him for a #5 lol. Its already a mess there, there is no need to blow up the team. I think they will give the Sabres a good fight for last place in the conference.

Because arguably in hindsight, once you stop thinking about all the other contracts and issue since that trade.

Knight, Hamilton AND Seguin make Toronto a ridiculously competitive team.

1st line center

top 2 D pairing

Top 4 D pairing

Add in recent picks and that team has serious depth and skill.

Instead now they've Phil the Thrill Kessel and that's it.

Because arguably in hindsight, once you stop thinking about all the other contracts and issue since that trade.

1st line center

top 2 D pairing

Top 4 D pairing

Exactly my point.

1st line center

top 2 D pairing

Top 4 D pairing

I think Kessel and Sequin are a wash. Those D men are debatable. TO had nothing at the time and needed a star forward. I don't think this was as bad of a trade as people make out to be.

I think Kessel and Sequin are a wash. Those D men are debatable. TO had nothing at the time and needed a star forward. I don't think this was as bad of a trade as people make out to be.

Any GM and coach would take Seguin over Kessel in a heartbeat. They were rebuilding at the time and needed great picks and to build a winning environment, not trade them away for a one-dimensional winger looking for max money.

Well said +1. Phaneuf is criminally underrated by most on here. I think they're going to regret trading Gunnarrson for Polak pretty fast.

Any GM and coach would take Seguin over Kessel in a heartbeat. They were rebuilding at the time and needed great picks and to build a winning environment, not trade them away for a one-dimensional winger looking for max money.

They have been "rebuilding" for a decade. I think Burke actually thought he was going to make them competitive now when he pulled the trade.

Also think everyone that goes to TO wants max money. They also have historically overpaid.

In regard to Seguin, I think Boston regrets losing him now. He has flourished more so in Dallas

You don't rebuild your team with wingers. In hindsight now that bozak is the 1st line center it looks reprehensible. There is no question a move needed to be made, but I stand by what I said when the deal was made. Burke pulled that trigger 1 year to early, and had he waited not 2 months to make that deal Boston would have been desperate or forced to just give Kessel away.

All the signs were there for a train wreck season that's for sure.

But now Hamilton is under the mentorship of Chara and is trending towards a top 2 D. Seguin is a bonafide star in the league after his first breakout season and is a 1st line C. Knight is trending in the right direction and will find his ceiling as a 1st line C.

Ask any analyst and the 2 things you need to build your championship worthy team.

top 2 D pairing

1st line center

In retrospect now that is the most lopsided trade in the last decade.

They have been "rebuilding" for a decade. I think Burke actually thought he was going to make them competitive now when he pulled the trade.

Also think everyone that goes to TO wants max money. They also have historically overpaid.

In regard to Seguin, I think Boston regrets losing him now. He has flourished more so in Dallas

At the time of the trades for Phaneuf and Kessel, they had just lost Sundin to us and the rebuild was on full.

I think the idea was for Kessel to become a franchise centerman though. That obviously was a mistake as he was clearly a one-dimensional winger.

And now I hear they hope to have Nylander become a franchise center now even though he's clearly a one-dimensional winger as well.

I guess they will never learn.

Boston got their cup with Seguin, so I guess they have no regrets. Chara's getting older and their core group is starting to fade now. They're following the Canucks.

Toronto is there as a pretty good example of what NOT to do. Calgary too. They're outright rebuild denial phase set them back years while they didn't bring in the right help to win either.

Because instead of building through the draft. Burke goes to make a big splash, trade away 2 high first round picks to get Kessel.

Leaf fans rejoice because its a quick fix. All these trades that Burke and Nonis and a lot of their predecessors do are to try quick fixes to long term problems. Toronto isn't hiring a GM to help draft good players, and build through the draft. They want to show the fans they are addressing the problem right now. That impatience is costing the team dearly. The fans and ownership need to understand you don't build a Cup winner overnight. They need to hire a GM that will do the job correctly, and let him do his job.

1st line center

top 2 D pairing

Top 4 D pairing

That's not what I meant. I was responding with "why is it the fans fault?". Its silly to think that the fans wanted to make that deal. I see posts like these on CDC occasionally as well "Blame the fans, their impatience is costing the team". If you have a GM that is going to be influenced into making decisions because it is what the "fans" want then you aren't really running a team, you just have a gong show. Burke when he took over Toronto was promised that he would be allowed to build the team his way. So that deal is on him, lets not blame the fans, the mascot, the zamboni guy or other influences. In some cases you do have ownership that interferes but I think that was all Burke, his arrogance and his impatience. Just like I am quite sure that Clarkson was Nonis' idea.

Its like saying Edmonton is bad because the fans wanted it that way, the fans will pretty much get behind every move the management makes and will look at it in positive light. Its what makes us fans. I remember the 90s as a Hawks fan and even when things were awful fans still had a tendency to see things through rose colored goggles.

At the time of the trades for Phaneuf and Kessel, they had just lost Sundin to us and the rebuild was on full.

I think the idea was for Kessel to become a franchise centerman though. That obviously was a mistake as he was clearly a one-dimensional winger.

And now I hear they hope to have Nylander become a franchise center now even though he's clearly a one-dimensional winger as well.

I guess they will never learn.

Boston got their cup with Seguin, so I guess they have no regrets. Chara's getting older and their core group is starting to fade now. They're following the Canucks.

Toronto is there as a pretty good example of what NOT to do. Calgary too. They're outright rebuild denial phase set them back years while they didn't bring in the right help to win either.

Calgary in all honesty isn't nearly as bad off as most think.

They waited 2 seasons to long on Iginla and Kipper but barring 1 bad and 1 horrible season, they were still fighting every game something we don't see from the Leafs.

Again, Calgary goes to OT 6 times last season instead of losing outright and they're tied for points with the canucks

Calgary in all honesty isn't nearly as bad off as most think.

They waited 2 seasons to long on Iginla and Kipper but barring 1 bad and 1 horrible season, they were still fighting every game something we don't see from the Leafs.

Again, Calgary goes to OT 6 times last season instead of losing outright and they're tied for points with the canucks

Agreed. They're further along their rebuild than we are for sure. I think we're going to be in some tough games this season against them and Edmonton.

If the Canucks are going to be in a Calgary-like 'rebuild denial' mode for years... Woof.

Agreed. They're further along their rebuild than we are for sure. I think we're going to be in some tough games this season against them and Edmonton.

If the Canucks are going to be in a Calgary-like 'rebuild denial' mode for years... Woof.

Honestly though I think with the recent draft changes there will be a lot more variance in where teams make their picks. So while I agree that Calgary might be a little further ahead, the Canucks with a little bit of luck and good drafting can easily catch up. I don't think it is necessary for a team to blow it up Buffalo/Calgary style anymore. How well the Canucks do will depend on well Benning manages this team. Its not an easy job and we don't even know for sure how well he will do but with some smart management he can turn the team around.

Archived