The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nonis: No player is untouchable

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nonis-no-leaf-untouchable/

*Video in link provided above*

Leafs GM Dave Nonis squashes any rumours that the club was actively shopping Dion Phaneuf, but if a deal made sense to move him, hed be on his way out, so would Kessel or anyone else on the team.

If I'm the Leafs, I'm trying to trade away Phaneuf only if there is a team out there willing to give a good return. He is a good dman, just not great with his new contract especially. Possibly Franson for a better well rounded dman or keep him if they can get a defensive dman to pair with him.

Try trading Clarkson for anything, even a late round pick. Give him this year to see if he can bounce back. If he has 3rd/4th line stats and can't produce like a 2nd liner, ship him out at the deadline so there's a chance someone takes him and take a % of his cap back. Also, I'd keep Bernier and try shipping out Reims. A solid goalie, but no need considering the drama around the goalies in a Canadian market.

...also, Dregs is riding TO big time on TSN and everyone is finding out now lol. Go on twitter and check out @Hope_Smoke account. A big time Leafs follower but he's speaking the truth lol. Go back about 1-2 hours and see what he's said...seems TO fans can't wait for management (Nonis, Carlyle..) to get the boot.

Sometimes this seems like a big statement, but I don't think it really holds much meaning. I'm not sure if any player is truly untouchable, given the right price. The only player who might approach that would be Crosby, but once you propose crazy deals, even he seems trade-able.

Sometimes this seems like a big statement, but I don't think it really holds much meaning. I'm not sure if any player is truly untouchable, given the right price. The only player who might approach that would be Crosby, but once you propose crazy deals, even he seems trade-able.

It doesn't really hold much meaning. GM's say this all the time. Really, this isn't news in the slightest.

Except Morgan Reilly. Nonis would not make it to the airport alive if he traded away their future.

Guys he should try to move: Phaneuf, Franson, Clarkson, Kadri, Reimer.

Phaneuf, Clarkson & Reimer - obvious reasons.

Franson - decent offensively, horrible defensively. Move him while you can when you already have Gardiner & Reilly.

Kadri - they need help down the middle, bad, and he's not the answer - especially with Nylander on the come up. Move him for a sound and defensive center to replace Bolland.

Good ol' Princess Phaneuf, maybe they could put her in the Pacific division with John Scott. I'm sure Scott would love seeing her again. : :D

John Scott is going to play 3-5 minutes per game in the games he's dressed. Don't think he'll have to worry about that. I don't like Phagoof either, but, that's the least of his worries.

John Scott is going to play 3-5 minutes per game in the games he's dressed. Don't think he'll have to worry about that. I don't like Phagoof either, but, that's the least of his worries.

It would be entertaining to see Scott squeeze Her Highness's head like a pimple if she pulls her lumberjack routine on him again.... lol

I said it before. That Kessel trade has put Toronto back years. Toronto should look at getting as many picks as possible and rebuild.

The fans impatience (Kind of like ours) is what screws up that franchise. They need a GM that has no interference from ownership. They need to build through the draft. Fans want to make the playoffs so they never get good picks, the GM's go for quick fixes instead of looking long term.

Sadly Benning is the type of GM that Toronto should be looking at. But he's ours. Mouhahahaha.

I said it before. That Kessel trade has put Toronto back years. Toronto should look at getting as many picks as possible and rebuild.

The fans impatience (Kind of like ours) is what screws up that franchise. They need a GM that has no interference from ownership. They need to build through the draft. Fans want to make the playoffs so they never get good picks, the GM's go for quick fixes instead of looking long term.

Sadly Benning is the type of GM that Toronto should be looking at. But he's ours. Mouhahahaha.

muuuuuuuwaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahah muuuuuuuuwahhhhhhahahaahahahhahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha h ugh

ugh ..... muuuuwahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahh !!!!!!!!!!

How is it the fans fault that Burke traded for Kessel and that is the least of Toronto's worries. The awful Clarkson contract, a paper thin defense and a terrible coach are all bigger problems. I shake my head at all those who say trading Phaneuf is a good idea, he faces some of the toughest competition in the league and will have to do it again with a guy like Roman Polak on the top pairing.

Phaneuf would be a decent #2 if they had a proper #1 to pair him with or even someone like Hamhuis or a Hjalmarsson would be a perfect partner for him. He has been miscast in a role as a shutdown defenseman when he is much more effective being the offensive defenseman along with a shutdown partner. Gunarsson was a decent player but he is more of a #4 than a #2 and now they traded him for a #5 lol. Its already a mess there, there is no need to blow up the team. I think they will give the Sabres a good fight for last place in the conference.

one of the lesser GMs of the league

leafs have high paid players that are not worth it.

I would trade Kessel, phaneyf, kadri and bozak and in return try to get

future 1c and 1D, and a top 6 forward.

Kessel + Franson to NYI for Strome and Reinhart and cap dump and 2015 2nd

Kadri and Bozak to SJS for Thornton

Phaneuf to colorado for maginn and elliot and colorado 2nd 2015

Looking at hope_smoke's twitter recap for lols: Great mother of Dion Phaneuf's ghost, the term 'analytics' is being used far too much over there now. It's as if it didn't exist before and now that they turned it into an inflated story, POOF! Analytics exist now! And apparently it is somewhere between black magic and online tiddlywinks.

While I agree that there are some dinosaurs over there that need an update, the whole advanced numbers aspect to the game has been massively overblown, thanks to some bloggers being hired and jealous ban-worthy sheep media guys taking notice.

Advanced stats are a guide. That's it. They don't replace what they eyes can tell you and there's certainly no coaching wizardry to be gained by looking at them while disregarding common sense aspects of the game.

Anyway, when they traded great picks away during a rebuild phase and made one of the most one-dimensional wingers in the game their franchise player, that was the start of their problems. When they made a slowish and undisciplined #2 or #2b-type d-man their other franchise player, that pretty much sealed their fate. And now they're both on pretty damn untradable contracts.

All they can do is add pieces, develop some youth and hope these guys can figure it out. They have approximately a 4 year window to do it with their current core group. I think that if they start using their players correctly, and stop treating every player like an entitled little brat, they'd find themselves being in a better position right away. But they're a bubble team now and they need a legit #1 center, a legit #1 defenseman, a lot more 2-way capable players and a ton of improvement from with in before they can content. Luckily they're in the east, where many, many teams have some significant weaknesses.

Archived