The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Schneider is a top six goalie? Miller 13th best?

IBatch

I think it's a combination of the two. The Devils haven't really been playing that great of hockey but Schneider has also given up some pretty demoralizing soft goals at pretty crucial parts of games. Although I think he has also been hung out to dry in some games as well due to mediocre defense. His team is the worst PK% in the league. He also might be over worked to since I believe he's started every game. I don't even know who their back up goalie is.

Schneider gives up bad goals, even when he's playing well. Kirk McLean used to do that.

Miller has been excellent. however when he loses, it seems to be a blow out. but other then that, the Canucks record reflects itself. Save percentage has been slightly hurt by the 2 blow out losses. As a Canucks fan I've never been more comfortable with a goalie in net since we had Cory Schneider.

Good to hear that. I hope he gets red hot around playoff time then. If the Canucks can pick up a good Top 4 Defenceman who can play 25 or more minutes a game, that would be very advantageous in cutting down blowout losses. Too bad the cap is an issue.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/your-eyes-are-lying-about-soft-goals-in-hockey--puck-momalytics-205356845.html

The new writer at Puck Daddy that replaced the 'creep' aka Harrison Mooney has put out some quality articles lately. The latest one which I posted above is well worth looking into. Suffice to say it changed my outlook on how I view goalies and gave me a quality source (war-on-ice.com). I would encourage everyone to look at it, also I will mention that you need to have no prior knowledge of advanced stats to look at this.

I think it's a combination of the two. The Devils haven't really been playing that great of hockey but Schneider has also given up some pretty demoralizing soft goals at pretty crucial parts of games. Although I think he has also been hung out to dry in some games as well due to mediocre defense. His team is the worst PK% in the league. He also might be over worked to since I believe he's started every game. I don't even know who their back up goalie is.

Pretty much what I figured. It usually is a combination of the two.

You're right, he has started all 14 of their games, including 2 back-to-backs. Even still though, it's a bit early in the season for exhaustion to be a major issue I would think. He may have not had a full season as a starter, but he was a starter for half a season. So, I don't think exhaustion is a major issue just yet. They can't expect him to play every game, though, and eventually they are going to have to let their backup have a start. And there's no time like the present. They have 5 back-to-backs this month! That is asking a bit much of a single goalie...

As for who their backup is, I honestly didn't know either. They have 2 listed on their website, both of which have played in 2 games this season when Schneider was pulled. Scott Clemmensen was the first but didn't do well in his 2 partial games, allowing 4 goals on 17 shots for a .765 SV%. So, I'm guessing he was sent back down and replaced with Keith Kinkaid, who came in the last 2 games Schneider was pulled in and he fared better, allowing only 1 goal on 11 shots for a .909 SV%. Hopefully he can do well enough to provide some actual use as a backup. Otherwise, Schneider could be feeling burnt out in the very near future, which really isn't giving him a fair chance at succeeding.

And you're completely right that their PK% SUCKS! More often than not, if a goalie's 5-on-5 SV% if good but his PK% is horrible, the team is a big factor. Schneider has a .931 SV% 5-on-5 but drops to a .792 SV% on the PK. So obviously penalties and the PK are huge issues that the team needs to work on. (Similar issue in Florida actually. Luo drops from a .947 SV% 5-on-5 to a .866 SV% on the PK.) Here's hoping they can work on it and give him a decent chance at succeeding.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/your-eyes-are-lying-about-soft-goals-in-hockey--puck-momalytics-205356845.html

The new writer at Puck Daddy that replaced the 'creep' aka Harrison Mooney has put out some quality articles lately. The latest one which I posted above is well worth looking into. Suffice to say it changed my outlook on how I view goalies and gave me a quality source (war-on-ice.com). I would encourage everyone to look at it, also I will mention that you need to have no prior knowledge of advanced stats to look at this.

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing it!

Nice to see confirmation of what I've been saying for years about Boston's defense keeping the high sh% shots down and forcing their opponents to take most of their shots from the low sh% area. We need to do more of that.

And nice too to see Luongo represented so well in all regions, proving that he was a good goalie for us, not the "softie king" some here chose to see him as.

• 1 month later...

Had to bump this..interesting to see Schneids' & EL's stats almost identical(albeit, Eddie's played just 25%, by comparison).

Saw some fans on HFBoards suggesting the Devs should dump CS, as the 42 mill commitment is redundant on an old squad, needing to rebuild from the ground up.

Probably hard to get value from dealing 'tenders, these days. Particularly expensive ones. It's such an unpredictable/inexact science. Who imagined a Winnipeg gt (at 575 k) would be setting the standard in late Dec?

Had to bump this..interesting to see Schneids' & EL's stats almost identical(albeit, Eddie's played just 25%, by comparison).

Saw some fans on HFBoards suggesting the Devs should dump CS, as the 42 mill commitment is redundant on an old squad, needing to rebuild from the ground up.

Probably hard to get value from dealing 'tenders, these days. Particularly expensive ones. It's such an unpredictable/inexact science. Who imagined a Winnipeg gt (at 575 k) would be setting the standard in late Dec?

I remember when finding a pretty good goalie was difficult in the NHL. Now the league has a pretty good amount of them. The standards are changing. Good thing the forwards in the league are getting better as well or there would be too many boring low scoring games.

He was amazing in game 6 against Boston, imo he was the main reason Boston didn't end up running away and blowing them out.

Not to mention his insane series against us on our run to the Cup. The guy shows up when it matters, and that's why the regular season means jack in the long run.

1. Lundy

2. Quick

3. Rask

4. Price

5. Varlamov

6. Bobrovsky

7. Bishop

8. Schneider

9. Halak

10. Bernier

11. Luongo

12. Miller

13. Crawford

14. Fleury

15. Smith

Rinne needs a serious rebound season.

This is the best overall list.

Save lack of respect for Luongo and Rinne. I disliked Lou's antics. But he has Florida...

Thats right Florida! Just 2 points out of the play-off's.

Rinne is just a world class goalie. The guy who is rated too high is Varlamov. Who was great last year and mediocre so far year.

1. Lundy

2. Quick

3. Rask

4. Price

5. Varlamov

Rinne

6. Bobrovsky

7. Bishop

8. Schneider

9. Halak

Luongo

10. Bernier

11. Luongo replace with Varlamov

12. Miller

13. Crawford falls out so Rinne fits

14. Fleury

15. Smith

This is the best overall list.

Save lack of respect for Luongo and Rinne. I disliked Lou's antics. But he has Florida...

Thats right Florida! Just 2 points out of the play-off's.

Rinne is just a world class goalie. The guy who is rated too high is Varlamov. Who was great last year and mediocre so far year.

1. Lundy

2. Quick

3. Rask

4. Price

5. Varlamov

Rinne

6. Bobrovsky

7. Bishop

8. Schneider

9. Halak

Luongo

10. Bernier

11. Luongo replace with Varlamov

12. Miller

13. Crawford falls out so Rinne fits

14. Fleury

15. Smith

Have you really been following Schneider this season,he has and is a total wash up to now this season.Although in truth he never was a proven no 1 goalie.

Wait did Cory play a starters load once in his career?

If so then yea maybe he should be considered.

Except no... He's never even reached the 50 game plateau let alone 60. Hasn't proven anything

After watching the scf it became evident to me that Lundqvist is no longer better than luongo. Lui had two 1 0 games which is godlike

1 quick

2 luongo

3 price

4 Lundqvist

5 bobrovsky

6 rask

7 varlamov

8 Crawford

9 bishop

10 Miller

Hopefully Miller proves me wrong and goes higher. To be honest I never saw much of him.

Cory is top 25. Lundqvist was awful the first 3 games... The series was over before it began.

I don't wana be that guy that quotes himself and says I was right. But I think I'll be that guy since it's Xmas and I'm bored with not much hockey going on.

Luongo has proven he's top 3 this year. I didn't see Rinne coming out of nowhere though. Good for him, he's doing it in a very tough division. That being said his defense is 3 better than luongos.

Luongo is having a vezina year. As predicted. No surprise whatsoever.

Hope Miller can keep winning and improve the save percentage and goals against.

I don't wana be that guy that quotes himself and says I was right. But I think I'll be that guy since it's Xmas and I'm bored with not much hockey going on.

Luongo has proven he's top 3 this year. I didn't see Rinne coming out of nowhere though. Good for him, he's doing it in a very tough division. That being said his defense is 3 better than luongos.

Luongo is having a vezina year. As predicted. No surprise whatsoever.

Hope Miller can keep winning and improve the save percentage and goals against.

How do you figure? Top 3 of what? His team is not even in the playoffs how will that translate into a Vezina? GAA he is not top 5. Save % is not top 5.... he is not winning the Vezina.

How do you figure? Top 3 of what? His team is not even in the playoffs how will that translate into a Vezina? GAA he is not top 5. Save % is not top 5.... he is not winning the Vezina.

Apollo has a massive hard on for Luongo. No point trying to point out any facts to the guy.

He may not win the Vezina but he has very respectable numbers on a weak Panthers team.

Apollo has a massive hard on for Luongo. No point trying to point out any facts to the guy.

Playboi has spoken lol...

He's single handedly carrying a horrible team that was do awful last year that they ended up getting first overall pick.

The Panthers are 1 point shy of Boston and had 3 games in hand. Luo has been their best player, and then some. It's a vezina calibre season. I won't bother and you can see during vezina voting this year. Lui has saved a horrible team.

Archived