The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Is that really how you want to start working in the "new look" organization and gain respect around the league? Rather just say it out loud (to the player) if you wish to trade him. The right way to go about it.

That's why I said, if by their play they deserve to be there. Of course you talk to them before, "listen, we'll go with the young guys, we think they outplayed you and from now on you'll have a 4th line role/13th forward, or we'd be willing to trade you to a team that would like you in a bigger role".

Nothing disrespectful about that. Hey if Burrows can play like a 2nd liner again, net 25G and 50 pts, by all means keep him. Otherwise, let Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen play.

You'd rather our new look is "hey you suck (exagerating here), but since you have a NTC and have done so much for the organization, we'll give you 18min/game and PP time, we might lose more than we win, but hey you earned it"???

I believe he is injured and can't be sent down.

Good speculation. If he was healthy and hadn't played another game since Stockton, he would have been sent down by now, considering who is still in camp.

Or they could be keeping him up to practice and develop chemistry with his future line-mate(s) in Utica Jensen or/and Shinkaruk. He will be playing on the first line center when he gets sent down and they also will be playing on the first line if they get sent down. They haven't put him in any games because he has no chance of making the team.

The goalies are set, and once Corrado gets sent down, the defense is set (Juice, Hammer, Sbisa, Tanev, Edler, Stanton, and Weber).

There are still 17 forwards left in camp less Richardson and O'Reilly (injured) = 15 available for tomorrow's game:

Dank - Hank - Verb

Burr - Bones - Kass

** Shink - Bull - Nick **

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Sestito - Matthias - Dorsett

IMO, Vey has not been very good on face-offs but JB went after him (maybe for WD) and he is pretty solid on the rest of his game (44% face-offs last season); so he stays.

Hansen had a better game last time than the one before but still is on the cusp as is Matthias.

Dorsett is another JB boy and has played well enough to stay (but he has to rein in the cheap shots so as not to take unnecessary penalties).

Sestito is our only true heavyweight enforcer and a good enough player to hold down the 13th spot at least.

The left side still looks weak as Danny, Burr, and Higgins all seem to be still finding their game.

With Shinkaruk pushing and scoring, he may force a difficult decision here but otherwise he will be sent to Utica.

Vrbata has shored up the right side (and bumped Burrows over to the left) leaving Kassian, Hansen, and Jensen battling for R2 and R3; this is where I think Hansen may be expendable.

Down the middle, even though we had lots of prospects, there is considerable weakness, especially with Richardson injured. Bonino was acquired in the getting rid of disgruntled Kesler trade and while he is ok, we are not married to him and he may be used in a trade if we have to trim the roster.

Horvat has played well enough to get his 9 games for sure and maybe make the team; he is better on face-offs than Vey already and getting better every game. Matthias could also go in a trade as he is yet to show to his potential.

I think management may be open to trading a number of players both NHL (Matthias, Bonino, Hansen) and AHL (Utica must be full of players management could add to a trade).

With Richardson and O'Reilly out with injury, we can keep Horvat, but if they return, O'Reilly will be sent down, and Horvat may not get past his 9 games, which is a shame because I think he has earned a spot.

Shinkaruk and Jensen have to score and prove they can be relied upon defensively to force management to make room; even then they still may be sent down to keep depth at all positions.

That's why I said, if by their play they deserve to be there. Of course you talk to them before, "listen, we'll go with the young guys, we think they outplayed you and from now on you'll have a 4th line role/13th forward, or we'd be willing to trade you to a team that would like you in a bigger role".

Nothing disrespectful about that. Hey if Burrows can play like a 2nd liner again, net 25G and 50 pts, by all means keep him. Otherwise, let Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen play.

You'd rather our new look is "hey you suck (exagerating here), but since you have a NTC and have done so much for the organization, we'll give you 18min/game and PP time, we might lose more than we win, but hey you earned it"???

You talk to them before, "listen, we'll go witht he vets we think they are more established than you in the position and from now you'll have a 4th line role/13th forward"

Nothing disrespectful about that, Hey if rookies can produce like a second-liner and net 25 goals and 50 points by all means keep him there or let the established guys get the job done.

you'd rather our new look is "hey you suck but since you are a rookie we'll give your 18 mins./game and PP time even though there are people better than you for the position, we might lose more than we win but hey you are a rookie"????

All I am saying that the rookies should be the ones to start at the bottom and work their way up not the other way around as your suggesting.

We need to deal a center. As much as I'd like to trade Hansen or Higgins or Burrows, it's unlikely.

Burrows is $6mil this year. Nobody taking that, even with lower cap number.

Higgins, Hansen on mid salaries maybe.

We need to deal a center to clear room for Horvat. Right now it's Hank, Bonino, Vey, Richardson, Matthias, Horvat. Matthias has been moved to the wing, but could be used as a center somewhere else.

Several teams need help at center right now (CAROLINA!)

Dump one of these guys (Matthias, Richardson) for a pick or a prospect. Problem solved.

Guest Dasein

^ Shows how much you know about the game.

Henrik, Bonino and Richardson are three centers that are not going anywhere on opening night. We need these three to play their respective roles of primary scoring center, secondary scoring center and primary shutdown center. Matthias plays the wing on this team and won't be moved to center unless we are really thin down the middle due to injuries.

Vey might move to the wing, or else he's at center. if Vey is at center, there's no room for Bo. If Vey's on the wing, Bo will make the team. Simple as that, but we are not trading a center away.

We need to deal a center. As much as I'd like to trade Hansen or Higgins or Burrows, it's unlikely.

Burrows is $6mil this year. Nobody taking that, even with lower cap number.

Higgins, Hansen on mid salaries maybe.

We need to deal a center to clear room for Horvat. Right now it's Hank, Bonino, Vey, Richardson, Matthias, Horvat. Matthias has been moved to the wing, but could be used as a center somewhere else.

Several teams need help at center right now (CAROLINA!)

Dump one of these guys (Matthias, Richardson) for a pick or a prospect. Problem solved.

People under rate mathias here. In the games Ive watched he's been one of the few who actually use his size toi his advantage. The team needs more of that, not less. he may very well to the wing, but I don't see him going anywhere.

People should probably cozy up to the fact that all the young guys will likely be sent down for more seasoning. Horvat may stay, not because he's made it impossible to send him back, but because sending him back would likely be more detrimental than keeping him up.

Perfect, just what I wanted for our 2nd line!

I assume that puts Horvat at 4C between ??? and Dorsett.

Our second line could be our 'first line' for tomorrow's game because apparently the Sedins and Vrbata won't be playing against the Oilers. I guess that would move Horvat's line to third and then see O'Reilly center the fourth line?

From what it looks like during practice, the twins and Vrbata will not be going to Edmonton tomorrow night. #Canucks

Our second line could be our 'first line' for tomorrow's game because apparently the Sedins and Vrbata won't be playing against the Oilers. I guess that would move Horvat's line to third and then see O'Reilly center the fourth line?

From what it looks like during practice, the twins and Vrbata will not be going to Edmonton tomorrow night. #Canucks

Or kid line sticking together ( i dont see the point since they clearly wont play together during the regular season) and act as 2nd line, while Higgins, Matthias, Hansen is labelled "3rd line"

Sestito-O'reilly-Dorsett would then be 4th line I assume

Well there you go...though I was speaking more of what I feel our regular season 2nd line should start as.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Vey

Higgins Matthias Hansen

Then 3 of Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen, Sestito or Dorsett.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Vey

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Jensen/Sestito - Horvat - Dorsett

Once everyone is healthy, I could see Kassian taking Hansen's spot on the third line bumping Hansen to the fourth with Richardson in the middle and Dorsett on the left wing. If we keep Horvat, then he moves to center on the third line which brings Matthias down to left wing on the fourth line and it will be Dorsett and Hansen fighting for the right wing position on fourth.

Archived