The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

I liked 44, don't get why players can't have higher numbers? ...micro-manage much?

I feel 44 is too much of a big number (character wise) for a small guy like Vey. More appropriate for a big man like Bertuzzi, Pronger, etc.

or maybe it's just the buzz of the millions pills/cough syrup I took the last few days to fight a cold LOL

Guest Dasein

Wonder if they'll make the cuts today, or after tomorrow's game in case there are any more injuries.

I would imagine the tryouts are over now and tomorrow night is what we will look like on opening night if everyone is healthy and ready to play.

Expected really. I'd like to think with top line minutes and the effort he's shown in the pre-season that Hunter puts up a lot of points with Utica whilst enhancing his D game a bit.

Guest Dasein

Shinkurak assigned to Utica, can't post a link on mobile. No surprise there and makes me think Horvats injury isn't serious

I don't think it has anything to do with Horvat, but Kassian returning and possibly Richardson. Horvat could be ready too - it didn't look too serious last night based on replay and he's a thick guy but Shinkaruk being sent down has no indication on Horvat's health IMO.

Guest Dasein

O'Reilly was placed on waivers this morning.

Interesting. I think this means one of Jensen or Horvat make the team. More likely Horvat as he's a center.

I thought it could be a possibility that they keep O'Reilly as the 14th forward behind Sestito, but now..

If Bo makes it:

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Matthias - Horvat - Vey/Dorsett

Vey/Dorsett

Sestito

If Jensen makes it:

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Jensen

Matthias - Vey - Hansen/Dorsett

Hansen/Dorsett

Sestito

Corrado will be sent down (needs 1D time he won't get here) so that means Horvat (IR likely gets 9 games) and Jensen stay.

The canucks do need to deal for a depth dman that is suitable for the 5-7 range. While Stanton I think is good, I think he's not what we need and too similar to the rest of the dmen; Sbisa is a mess and should be at best a 6th dman; the only thing going for Weber is his PP shot, otherwise he should play in Utica.

Hopefully the canucks shore that up during waivers...

Vey actually looked pretty good on the wing last night - wouldn't be surprised if he gets a deeper look there.

Also, I think Dorsett brings that Torres factor that we've been missing the last two seasons. He doesn't have as much physicality, but that guy can forecheck as well as anybody and he has a drive to get the puck each time he's out there.

And then there's Matthias who looked 10x better back in the middle. This will definitely create some roster shuffling if they keep Horvat since you have Henrik, Bonino, Matthias, Horvat, Richardson, and Vey.

Going to be an interesting next few days!

Shinkaruk cut and O'Reilly on waivers. Not huge surprises. Now, there are only two players to cut. I expect it will be Corrado and Jensen.

Not sure about Jensen, otherwise he would have been sent the same time as Shinkaruk. Unless Kassian is not ready to play Saturday.

I really hope Jensen or Horvat at least end up with a top 9 role. Otherwise, where is the freaking youth injection. Vey is not enough IMO.

Archived