The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Maybe we should be thinking about firing our scouts, none of them were drafted in the organisation. Our only top 9 players who were drafted by the organization are the Sedins, 15+ years ago, thats a major problem (if you exclude Hansen from the top 9).

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows*-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

*undrafted

What are the Hawks, Pens, LA, Bos, Ana, STL have in common? Their core, build through draft.

You may not be aware this, but you are also able to rebuild your team through good trades. Moving Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa and what turned out to be McCann was a step in the right direction. The system right now has some of the better prospects in years. To me, the cup is half full.

You may not be aware this, but you are also able to rebuild your team through good trades. Moving Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa and what turned out to be McCann was a step in the right direction. The system right now has some of the better prospects in years. To me, the cup is half full.

For sure.

A top notch offensive D prospect should be priority #1.

We might have enough of the rest if a couple reach their ceiling. Which sounds weird to say.

Chicago is apparently still shopping Leddy according to Kyper. He's a left hander which we don't need more of, but is an offensive, puck moving, good skating D-man and that style of guy that's an improvement over Weber/Corrado could really help our D corps.

The thought of Pouliot was very exciting, but if we can find someone for now and hopefully Hutton/Subban fill that role in future it'd be a big boost.

Interesting. I think this means one of Jensen or Horvat make the team. More likely Horvat as he's a center.

I thought it could be a possibility that they keep O'Reilly as the 14th forward behind Sestito, but now..

If Bo makes it:

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Matthias - Horvat - Vey/Dorsett

Vey/Dorsett

Sestito

If Jensen makes it:

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Jensen

Matthias - Vey - Hansen/Dorsett

Hansen/Dorsett

Sestito

Vey is in the top 9 for sure, either 2RW or 3C. And 3RW is a possibility.

He looked good last night with Bonino and Burrows -- better than Kassian has at 2RW.

Chicago is apparently still shopping Leddy according to Kyper. He's a left hander which we don't need more of, but is an offensive, puck moving, good skating D-man and that style of guy that's an improvement over Weber/Corrado could really help our D corps.

The thought of Pouliot was very exciting, but if we can find someone for now and hopefully Hutton/Subban fill that role in future it'd be a big boost.

Can he play right?

From practise it sounds like Kassian and Richardson are healthy again.

Combine that with Jensen being the 13th man at practise today and it makes me wonder why they are not playing Jensen or sending him down.

Sestito not being at practise is a bit weird too he might have injured his hand in a fight I suppose...

Sestito trade/waive?

Jensen already made the team so why play him?

Shinkaruk cut and O'Reilly on waivers. Not huge surprises. Now, there are only two players to cut. I expect it will be Corrado and Jensen.

One more forward and one more D. to be cut, unless one or two of the 4 injured players goes on the injury reserve list (Kassian, Richardson, Horvat, Corrado).

I am just guessing, given the limited information provided about injuries, but my guess is that someone does go on the IR. i am also guessing that Jensen sticks with the team. He has actually looked pretty good in preseason and has the size to potentially contribute to the bottom 6 even if he cannot make the top 6. He has also improved his defensive play.

Leddy for a 2nd would be as high as I would go.

Pouliot is probably a pipe dream. Erixon would be worth a phone call as would Vatanen, Orlov and Beaulieu.

Pokka could be worth a look too.

Not how it works bud.

We have to keep two forwards that will be in the press box as extra forwards that don't play.

Sure, Jensen's outplayed Sestito, but do you want him sitting in the box instead of him? No?

Sestito's a lock for the press box. It'll be either Jensen to the AHL or Horvat to the OHL.

They don't have to keep 14, they just said they would if they need to extend the evaluation period for the young guys (Horvat). If they wanna keep Topsixtito to sit around and watch half the games that's fine, and if they send Jensen down he'll get good ice in Utica, whkch is fine too. It's just my opinion that Jensen has earned a regular spot in the top 9 and Sestito is expendable to make that room.

New lines at practice.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata...Higgins-Bonino-Burrows...Dorsett-Vey-Hansen...Richardson-Matthias-Kassian with Jensen extra skater. No Sestito on ice

My guess is WD wants to ease Kassian in, pretty clear too that Jensen is only sticking around to see if Richardson/Kassian/Horvat's injuries aren't aggravated/serious.

All I can say is that if Jensen has made the team, so has Horvat.

Horvat is just a more useful player up and down the line up, I know that some of you don't see it yet but some of you thought he was a hopelessly slow skater last year when he was just about average really and this year he is above average speed already.

I watched Horvat catch a number of opposing players on the forecheck and backcheck.

His only issue...feeling to safe at 216 ripped LBS., he still has to keep his head up!

Sestito brought some clear energy and bite to the Canucks last night. When they were talking about their improved "battle level" after the game, it was all sparked by Sestito's aggresiveness. The only stupid penalties he took ended up being coincidentals anyways. So no Jensen did not outperform him in "every conceivable way". Who are the onther players that can step up to the heavyweights in the league? Dorsett? Sorry man but he's not up to dealing with Westgarth the way Sestito did. He's a player that needs to be in our top 14.

I disagree. He brought energy, sure, but there's lots of guys that can do that and still play a regular role. How was it that he 'stood up' to Westgarth? By getting jumped? That simply deosn't happen if Sestito isn't playing. If tough

guys on opposing teams get running around trying to fight our guys thats the other teams problem and we burn 'em on the PP. Lots of players on the roster can fight, don't need a heavyweight if it takes a roster spot from a skill guy.

I disagree. He brought energy, sure, but there's lots of guys that can do that and still play a regular role. How was it that he 'stood up' to Westgarth? By getting jumped? That simply deosn't happen if Sestito isn't playing. If tough

guys on opposing teams get running around trying to fight our guys thats the other teams problem and we burn 'em on the PP. Lots of players on the roster can fight, don't need a heavyweight if it takes a roster spot from a skill guy.

We need someone to play the role of 14th forward. That's Sestito to a tee. If Dorsett goes down then we might want him in the lineup against certain matches. We will have other bodies, and Jensen to call up, if we need top 9 help.

At some point this season we will probably have injuries to 3-5 forwards at a time. We may very well see a 4th line of Archie-Lain-Sestito at some point. Brace yourself for it. If they can play 6-8 minutes while we heal then they will have done their job over a long season.

There was a feature on the main CDC site about Sestito working on his offensive game. I don't see why there is any hate for a bottom of the roster player. He serves a purpose. There will be games where he likely sits and others where he suits up because the oppostion is a bigger tougher team. I would envision him playing against the grinding teams in the West.

Injury updates: Horvat’s shoulder injury not as serious as Desjardins thought (no breaks), Corrado progressing but still a few days out.
Sestito skated but left ice early this morning for a sore neck, Bieksa had day off. #Canucks

Bieksa had the day off? Why does he need the day off when he took the night off last night?

Archived