The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Vey

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Jensen/Sestito - Horvat - Dorsett

Once everyone is healthy, I could see Kassian taking Hansen's spot on the third line bumping Hansen to the fourth with Richardson in the middle and Dorsett on the left wing. If we keep Horvat, then he moves to center on the third line which brings Matthias down to left wing on the fourth line and it will be Dorsett and Hansen fighting for the right wing position on fourth.

I think they'll give kass every opportunity to succeed on the 2nd line before they move Vey up. He's earned it, imo, and he needs to start playing serious mins with offensively inclined players.

That said, seeing kas and Horvat on the same line would be great.

I think we are forgetting what WD has been saying. he has no pre defined notions of who these players are (or at least limited) or of what positions they should be used in. (as a fresh outlook he is letting their play determine their place) he is merely watching each player and trying to give him complimentary line mates to maximize the chance they will succeed together.

we all agree barring injury our top line will be Sedin Sedin Vrbata. I see no likely reason that would change, they are developing chemistry and will only continue to get better.

Our second line we have seen tape of our gm and coach wanting Bonino, and we see how his skillset suits that of a 2nd line center that can produce points with offensive wingers. Kassian is our most offensively minded right winger and has the tools to excel there, and is at an age where he will be given the chance to prove he belongs, if he does not, then Jensen will likely move to that spot. WD isn't going to fill the gap with a plug for very long, we have the skilled players to make a good fit. Burrows is a very opportunistic and hardworking RW. He does amazingly well with the Sedins, but its apparent that the Sedins and Burrows all feel the top line would be better served with Vrbata there. If burrows isn't with the Sedins you have to put him where his skillset works the best. (and the coach does not care what players salaries are, he plays them where he sees them fit in) The most success burrows has outside of time on the Sedin line is on an uptempo checking line that shuts down opponents and still scores against top lines. That logically means he is likely going to find himself on the RW of the 3rd line, not the LW of the second. Therefore by simple process of elimination, the top offensive talent remaining would seem to be Vey. seeing how the already have him working the top PP unit, it is not inconceivable that he could end up on the second line with Bonino and Kass.

Then we would have Horvat with Higgins and Burrows on your third line (I hesitate to call it the third, but what else would you call it, 2a 2b.. those are just copouts... likely we will see L2/L3/L4 at 13 or 14 a game and L1 at 18 or 19 a game) Your fourth line starts the year with Richardson at C and you have Hansen Mattias Dorset and Sestito for the wings. You wouldn't actually see those lines out there in tact for a lot of the game, but between PK and PP minutes it likely adds up about that way.

Hunter and Jensen are our first forward callups, (they do not look as ready as Horvat) and our minutes will be spread out great. All the talk about Mattius being unhappy with 4th line are irrelevant in this case, providing he does special teams he will a ton more icetime and quality time then he ever did in Florida, and this lineup also allows all the guys on the team to play to their strengths and not expose them to heavily to their weaknesses. Also the kids as callups gives us true Depth. If player A gets hurt, you KNOW player B has the ability to match or excel his production in that role.

This is what JB and WD have preached since they were hired, and I doubt it changes now.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Vey Bonino Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Mattias Richardson Dorsett

B mo was an iron man with that number. Also one of the clutches OT players in canucks history... Hopefully it translates into that and not booths luck.

I still remember that game 6 triple OT winner like it was yesterday! Also hoping Vey's able to perform like bmo.

Archived