The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Sestito is totally expendable and seems to be both played out of the line-up as well as playing himself out of the line-up.

Sure - he does some things well and understands the new role, but all of our guys can do that and more. He's going to be useful in 15-20 games. Against the Oilers and Flames mostly, but otter than that, I'd give the spot to someone who can contribute without being a liability or getting us into unnecessary trouble.

Can he play right?

No idea. I could try and look up with WOWY numbers in hopes of figuring it out I guess, but I'd think one of our Chicago brethern on these forums might be able to weigh in better.

Leddy for a 2nd would be as high as I would go.

Pouliot is probably a pipe dream. Erixon would be worth a phone call as would Vatanen, Orlov and Beaulieu.

Pokka could be worth a look too.

Yeah, Pouliot was only feasible as part of a potential Kesler to Pittsburgh deal, and even then maybe not. There are other options as you say, but with the talk on Leddy today considering Chicago needs to figure out their cap (the rumour is they want a prospect back, perhaps an equivalent pick would work) it was worth mentioning.

Injury updates: Horvat’s shoulder injury not as serious as Desjardins thought (no breaks), Corrado progressing but still a few days out.
Sestito skated but left ice early this morning for a sore neck, Bieksa had day off. #Canucks

You do remember he went *ss over tea kettle into the boards trying to run Potluck or whomever? This isn't directed at you VC, its to the comments above suggesting Bieksa wasn't banged up.

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 6m

#Canucks Miller on communication w/ new D: 'I got to STL & a guy called for the puck. I passed it that way. And it was NOT a guy from STL.'

#Canucks Kassian claims he has no idea where he sits on depth chart. Doesn't want another season of questions about which line he'll be on

#Canucks Richardson on how he got hurt vs CGY last week: 'I got crumpled. That's it.'

You do remember he went *ss over tea kettle into the boards trying to run Potluck or whomever? This isn't directed at you VC, its to the comments above suggesting Bieksa wasn't banged up.

wasn't suggesting he wasn't banged up....saying he mailed it in last night. far and away the worst dman on the ice.

Chicago is apparently still shopping Leddy according to Kyper. He's a left hander which we don't need more of, but is an offensive, puck moving, good skating D-man and that style of guy that's an improvement over Weber/Corrado could really help our D corps.

The thought of Pouliot was very exciting, but if we can find someone for now and hopefully Hutton/Subban fill that role in future it'd be a big boost.

How about Leddy straight up for Stanton???

Chicago is about 2.2 million over cap according to Capgeek. Leddy is on a 2.7 million contract, Stanton is 550k.

That would come pretty close to balancing Chicago's books for the start of the season!

:frantic:

Chicago is about 2.2 million over cap according to Capgeek. Leddy is on a 2.7 million contract, Stanton is 550k.

That would come pretty close to balancing Chicago's books for the start of the season!

I'm liking this idea the more I think about it. Not sure how much of it is the idea of pouring salt on a minor wound of them losing Stanton to the Canucks on waivers last year in the first place lol.

Let's be nice to Chicago.

We will take Leddy off their hands (Left shooting D man) and his 2.7 million cap hit

We will sent them Stanton (Left shooting D man) and retain 75k of his 550k cap hit.

This should bring Chicago about 30 - 40k under the cap.

Both players have a year left on their contracts.

Aren't we nice! Who the hell says we don't do what we can to help out Chicago?

:towel:

Haha...that would be pretty funny.

I'm liking this idea the more I think about it. Not sure how much of it is the idea of pouring salt on a minor wound of them losing Stanton to the Canucks on waivers last year in the first place lol.

Let's be nice to Chicago.

We will take Leddy off their hands (Left shooting D man) and his 2.7 million cap hit

We will sent them Stanton (Left shooting D man) and retain 75k of his 550k cap hit.

This should bring Chicago about 30 - 40k under the cap.

Both players have a year left on their contracts.

Aren't we nice! Who the hell says we don't do what we can to help out Chicago?

:towel:

We won't likely be retaining any salary in a deal like that, and Chicago will have to make further moves to make more space, since at least $550-600K in cap space should be available for at least one call up as necessary.

As I mentioned after that post you originally quoted, Chicago is rumoured to be looking for a prospect back, not an NHL player who'd hit against their cap. For them to get that, they don't have as much leverage in just how good that prospect is, so there may be an affordable deal there for a team with the cap space to take on Leddy's contract.

We won't likely be retaining any salary in a deal like that, and Chicago will have to make further moves to make more space, since at least $550-600K in cap space should be available for at least one call up as necessary.

As I mentioned after that post you originally quoted, Chicago is rumoured to be looking for a prospect back, not an NHL player who'd hit against their cap. For them to get that, they don't have as much leverage in just how good that prospect is, so there may be an affordable deal there for a team with the cap space to take on Leddy's contract.

You're totally being a killjoy here!!! :P

Guest Dasein

They don't have to keep 14, they just said they would if they need to extend the evaluation period for the young guys (Horvat). If they wanna keep Topsixtito to sit around and watch half the games that's fine, and if they send Jensen down he'll get good ice in Utica, whkch is fine too. It's just my opinion that Jensen has earned a regular spot in the top 9 and Sestito is expendable to make that room.

Yes, they do.

If they keep 8 defensemen instead, Frank Corrado sits games out. Again, not going to happen.

lol if this happens that would be hilarious, then Stanton doesnt make the club, gets waived and we claim him back! haha

Yes, they do.

If they keep 8 defensemen instead, Frank Corrado sits games out. Again, not going to happen.

No, my point is that there is that team don't HAVE to carry 23 players on the roster. They can have 22, 21, or even 20 if they so desired, that's all. There's nothing wrong with 13 fwds, 7 d and 2 goalies...

Guest Dasein

Vey is in the top 9 for sure, either 2RW or 3C. And 3RW is a possibility.

He looked good last night with Bonino and Burrows -- better than Kassian has at 2RW.

Better than Kassian in a single game where he played through an injury he sustained that game? Sure.

The reason I had Vey at 4C is because he's not great defensively. Richardson is our shutdown center and will be playing some significant minutes on the primary shutdown line - which would be our 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen. That leaves Vey on the 4th line to play with Matthias and Dorsett, who are both pretty good players. Those three can be responsible for taking advantage of weak matchups against opposing 4th lines and creating offense.

Naming lines is just semantics. For one thing, Vey will clearly be getting some PP time, so his ice time could end up being similar to Richardson when all's said and done (EV + PK for Richie and EV + PP for Vey). In addition, Vey will probably outproduce Richardson because of the hard shutdown minutes Richie will be playing while Vey gets some PP time and also simply because Vey is much more talented offensively. 4th line, 3rd line doesn't matter - I just see Richardson centering Hansen and Higgins and Vey on the line below - or possibly on 2RW over Kassian as you say.

My guess is WD wants to ease Kassian in, pretty clear too that Jensen is only sticking around to see if Richardson/Kassian/Horvat's injuries aren't aggravated/serious.

Was it made clear what Kassians injury is...?...I suspect it was a groin pull judging by the way he was skating in the first Calgary game..

Archived