The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Selanne blasts ex-coach Boudreau in biography

Looks like Kesler's gonna have problems with Boudreau since Kesler has the heart to win and wants to be out there for key situations. Maybe since Kesler is their #2 center Boudreau would use him more and he's only 30 but still, if Teemu wants to be out there and he can score, then why not give him a chance.

Teemu in my mind is very passionate about things and very demanding. But he has in my mind earned the right to voice his feelings about stuff and I will believe him. Such a character through and through. I have a hard time believing he was the issue there. Aging star maybe, but if they did in fact promise him certain things, I'd expect someone who did to keep his word on it. The man has earned that much.

I love Teemu, but this sounds like a Veteran player that couldn't accept that he was aging. The Ducks didn't need Teemu last year.

4 goals in 6 games for Finland in Sochi suggests he was still a top player, and his reduced output in Anaheim was a deployment issue.

In the series against the Kings, Selanne was the 2nd star of game 1 and the 1st star of game 3 (per NHL.com), despite somewhat limited minutes (under 15, fringe 2nd/3rd line minutes). Most coaches would appreciate a player elevating his game, and give him more minutes. However, for some inexplicable reason, Boudreau reduced Teemu's minutes in games 4-6 to under 11 per game (fringe 3rd/4th line minutes).

In the end, the Ducks lost, and didn't win the cup (just like the Canucks). And Boudreau added one more year to his list of playoff failures.

So maybe...just maybe...the Ducks DID need Teemu last year.

Most people are picking the Ducks to have another dominant year...perhaps even taking it to another level with the addition of Kesler. However, I think that they will be reeling from the loss of Selanne, Bonino, Perrault, Winnik, Penner, and Koivu - 6 of their top 10 scorers from last year.

If the depth guys remaining don't continue to produce career-type years, or the young guys can't step up (particularly the ones in net), they are going to be terribly thin up front. And I'm not sold on their D-core, which I think greatly overachieved last year.

My bold prediction is the Canucks beating them out for 3rd in the division (but Ducks still making the playoffs as the wildcard).

Yikes, what a whiner.

Selanne was garbage last year and his minutes rightfully cut. Slow, always behind the play, fumbling grade A chances.

Guy can't get over the fact that he's old.

Love Teemu, but you're 100 % right . Guy couldn't admit to himself that he was a detriment and there were guys who were better than him and deserved his minutes more.

I made the case that the Ducks under-used Teemu, esp. on the power play, on HF, and that was countered by Ducks fans saying he looked done. Missing wide-open nets and what-not. I think they still could've deployed Selanne like they did with Bonino on their top unit and their power play probably would've been better than 22nd in the league.

Maybe i'm biased because i've seen him bury the Canucks over and over again in that role, but the guy's a hall-of-famer and one of the greatest scorers ever to play the game. No doubt he knows what to do on a power play with elite playmakers.

Love Teemu, but I have to disagree with his assessment that he wasn't getting enough PP time. He was tied for fifth on the team in average PP minutes per game (4th if you just count forwards).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ANASASALL&sort=powerPlayTimeOnIce&viewName=timeOnIce

Definitely not taking Boudreau's side though. If the story is true and the coach deflected responsibility for not playing Teemu more, then that is a pretty cowardly way to run your team. Hard to want to take direction from your coach if you ultimately feel that he isn't the one deciding your playing time.

This does seem like sour grapes on Selanne's part but he might have a point about Boudreau's coaching ability. The guy's had some dominant regular season teams with tons of star power but has never seen beyond the second round of the playoffs. How does that happen if the coach doesn't misuse the assets he has?

This is incorrect. In 06/07, Vancouver got eliminated by Anaheim in 2OT in the fifth game. This was the game that had Sabourin make an O.T. appearance when Lui had digestive problems.

Sundin signed two season later, when we were ousted by Hatrick Kane in that 7-5, game 6 loss.

Ahhhh...yes. I just remember seeing Sundin playing his heart out & I was thinking that Lu was a bit of a goat in that loss. That 7-5 game was epic for its excitement, momentum switches & the completely unexpected onslaught of goal-scoring.

I also remember the ANA series-ending goal where Lu definitely lost focus & publicly beat himself-up over it. Lesson learned,..and ANA went on to win the cup that year. Lu was screaming for a penalty to Rob Niedermayer on Hansen that the refs were completely ignoring. Scott Neidermayer took advantage & scored the series winning goal in double OT, too.

Obviously - my memory is completely shot - but I know Mats Sundin elevated his game during the play-offs,.even as a 38 yr. old. Such a shame that the team & Lu couldn't grind-out that victory & get Sundin all the way to the dance that year. Especially after he chose to allign himself with them,.. for his last & final shot at the Cup.

The guy was the best player at the Olympics...

And according to the guys picking the stars at NHL.com, he was the best player of games 1-3 in the Kings series. His fairly pedestrian regular season numbers reek of an older guy saving his best for the games that matter. (Makes sense, with them having the commanding conference lead all year.)

So why did he get his ice time cut? Coach trying to make a point, at the expense of winning?

I expect there's a lot of truth to Selanne's words.

Ahhhh...yes. I just remember seeing Sundin playing his heart out & I was thinking that Lu was a bit of a goat in that loss. That 7-5 game was epic for its excitement, momentum switches & the completely unexpected onslaught of goal-scoring.

I also remember the ANA series-ending goal where Lu definitely lost focus & publicly beat himself-up over it. Lesson learned,..and ANA went on to win the cup that year. Lu was screaming for a penalty to Rob Niedermayer on Hansen that the refs were completely ignoring. Scott Neidermayer took advantage & scored the series winning goal & in double OT too.

Obviously - my memory is completely shot - but I know Mats Sundin definitely elevated his game during the play-offs,.even as a 38 yr. old. Such a shame that the team & Lu couldn't grind out that victory & get Sundin all of the way to the dance that year. Especially after he chose to allign himself with them,.. for his last & final shot at the Cup.

Yeah, Lui had a really rough game against the Hawks in the game 6. If I'm not mistaken, we had a 5-4 lead in that game (Daniel with the goal off the faceoff). I think Sundin even slapped one in that game. I loved Sundin as a Canuck, he definitely got better as the year went on.

Don't worry about your memory, this happens to everyone.

Archived