The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

Well it took longer than expected because injuries allowed the extra body to be carried... but the inevitable happened.

I went against popular sentiment at the time and said that he wasn't in the plans for the way this team was built.

Thread closed.

Very stupid decision to put Sestito on waivers. This team has basically zero toughness without the giant number 29. Did you see what happened after Dustin Brown tripped Jannik Hansen who went face first into the boards? NOTHING. Did you see what happened when Martin Hanzal threatened the Canucks at the end of the game? Sestito was trying to tear his head off and Hanzal looked like he was about to mess himself.

Vancouver gets bullied by bigger teams because they don't have even a reasonable facsimile of toughness when Sestito and Kassian are out of the lineup. Don't even bother mentioning Dorsett. That kid is an undersized punching bag. Sestito is the only player that actually provides a deterrent from someone speeding bagging Daniel Sedin's head again. In their infinite wisdom, they've opened the door to more embarrassment like that by waiving the angry monster.

Very stupid decision to put Sestito on waivers. This team has basically zero toughness without the giant number 29. Did you see what happened after Dustin Brown tripped Jannik Hansen who went face first into the boards? NOTHING. Did you see what happened when Martin Hanzal threatened the Canucks at the end of the game? Sestito was trying to tear his head off and Hanzal looked like he was about to mess himself.

Vancouver gets bullied by bigger teams because they don't have even a reasonable facsimile of toughness when Sestito and Kassian are out of the lineup. Don't even bother mentioning Dorsett. That kid is an undersized punching bag. Sestito is the only player that actually provides a deterrent from someone speeding bagging Daniel Sedin's head again. In their infinite wisdom, they've opened the door to more embarrassment like that by waiving the angry monster.

I think it is time for you to move on. Sestito wasn't scaring anyone from the press box and the team wasn't about to start playing the rest of its 4th line only 5 minutes a game so he could keep up with them.

Sestito is the perfect 13th forward for when someone is hurt. At least he brings physicality, something missing from this team.

the team can be physical when it has to, with or without sestito. as canuck fans, you people should be used to by now, to not grow attached to anybody. dorsett took sestitos spot, and plays a better role, whether you guys want to believe it or not. i'd rather the 13th man be jensen or someone else young, who can get some time, instead of a guy who clearly doesn't want to change the way he plays, which this team really doesn't need another one of "those guys"

I think it is time for you to move on. Sestito wasn't scaring anyone from the press box and the team wasn't about to start playing the rest of its 4th line only 5 minutes a game so he could keep up with them.

Hopefully you enjoy seeing the Sedins getting abused without any consequence. With no Sestito in the lineup, there will be no reason for other teams to think twice.

the team can be physical when it has to, with or without sestito. as canuck fans, you people should be used to by now, to not grow attached to anybody. dorsett took sestitos spot, and plays a better role, whether you guys want to believe it or not. i'd rather the 13th man be jensen or someone else young, who can get some time, instead of a guy who clearly doesn't want to change the way he plays, which this team really doesn't need another one of "those guys"

(This following shouldn't be taken as a comment that the Canucks specifically need Sestito, as some might otherwise view it. Rather, see it as a question of just how true is the bolded part of your above post.)

Well, there's physical and then there's physicality, isn't there? There's putting big hits on opposing players (or even fighting) and then there's rubbing the other guy out along the boards, or moving him off of the puck, or knocking him off his skates in a battle for the puck. Certainly the team has some guys who can put the body on to opposing players and make the big hit along the boards, but this is a "lightweight" team.

This is a fairly tall team, with only Weber being listed at under 6" tall, but there are only seven guys who are 200 lbs or heavier, and of those guys, maybe only four of them can be counted on to provide a physical presence. The rest of the physicality comes from guys who are lighter (under 200 lbs).

Now a lighter player can still hit and play a physical game, but I wonder at just how effective that is compared to a guy who is 20+ pounds heavier? How effective is this lighter player at winning battles in the corner, or at trying to push around an opposing player?

No. The team can't be more physical when it wants to. It hasn't been physical in years. It's been an issue since we lost to Boston.

I believe the team has been physical, but just how effective have they been at the physical aspect of the game is what I'd question.

There may be some who will quote you chapter and verse about how the Canucks out hit the Bruins in some game or other, but "To what effect?" would be my answer. I have a memory of seeing two lighter Canuck players in a puck battle along the boards against a single Bruins forward, and the Bruins player was fending off the two Canucks with only one arm. Now maybe the two Canucks were both trying to go for the puck rather than one pin the player while the other took the puck. If so, this then questions just how effective this team is at the physical aspect of the game.

regards,

G.

Hopefully you enjoy seeing the Sedins getting abused without any consequence. With no Sestito in the lineup, there will be no reason for other teams to think twice.

Take it up with the team management. They decided to construct a team in a way that had no place for him.

I am sure you have many salient points which will change the inexperienced, obtuse, non-hockey minds of Linden, Benning, and Desjardins.

You might also want to take it up with virtually every other GM and coach in the league who has been dumping these guys for the past couple seasons. Maybe you can commiserate the lack of league truculence with Brian Burke over a beer while he is watching his team golf instead of competing in the playoffs.

Take it up with the team management. They decided to construct a team in a way that had no place for him.

I am sure you have many salient points which will change the inexperienced, obtuse, non-hockey minds of Linden, Benning, and Desjardins.

You might also want to take it up with virtually every other GM and coach in the league who has been dumping these guys for the past couple seasons. Maybe you can commiserate the lack of league truculence with Brian Burke over a beer while he is watching his team golf instead of competing in the playoffs.

The Maple Leafs sent Orr and McLaren to the minors and suddenly there was this tidal wave of media frenzy about enforcers not being "in" anymore. I guess that's what happens when Toronto is allowed to take over all the sports programming across Canada. Just sad.
The Canucks are a soft team right now. They will not advance in the playoffs without having some rough, nasty players. In 2011, they had Torres and Lapierre and it still wasn't enough to deter the Sedins from being ragdolled without retribution. If they think Dorsett is enough to keep other teams honest, I feel sorry for the Canucks skilled players.

Archived