The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

Can Sestito play well enough with Desjardins 4 line system? He hasn't exactly made a good case for himself in the past. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the second of third game when the Canucks play the California teams. I'd like to see what the initial team can do first before taking a gamble and slotting him in.

I really don't want to see the hole a penalty prone guy, like Sestito could dig us into against some of the highest scoring teams in the league.

Tom should get his chance when the team needs him most... the cali trip. But who do you sit out? Vey is helping the PP, and thatll be an important element vs those teams.

Im guessing itd have to be Matthias, but Im not convinced Willie will make that move... And as stated, Horvat could get the nod when injury strikes.

Tom will just have to be patient the way Alberts had to be patient a couple years back. He'll get his chance.... unless theyd rather play the call up kids...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/29/semin-benched-after-taking-unsportsmanlike-penalty/#/2014/10/29/report-sestito-met-with-benning-wanted-to-know-when-he-might-play/ A healthy scratch in each of the Canucks first six games, tough guy Tom Sestito wanted to know if he had a future in Vancouver. So he asked a guy who might know. From Sportsnets Dan Murphy: Sestito met with general manager Jim Benning before the Canucks recent game in Denver to talk about his situation. Sestito basically wanted to know if he was in the Canucks plans. He would love a chance to play and if not here, perhaps somewhere else. Benning doesnt want to go down that road just yet. The GMs message to Sestito was to stay ready and make use of his chance when it comes. Its been nine games now, and Sestito still hasnt played. Part of that is due to the fact that Vancouver is off to a decent 6-3-0 start under new coach Willie Desjardins, and the Canucks havent sustained any injuries up front. Making matters even tougher for Sestito, one of the prime candidates to come out of the lineup, Shawn Matthias, had his best game of the season last night versus Carolina and theres also the potential for rookie Bo Horvat, currently on a conditioning assignment with AHL Utica, to get a look before Sestito does. Sestito played 77 games for Vancouver in 2013-14, leading the NHL with 213 PIM, but only averaging 6:27 of ice time per contest. That was under coach John Tortorella. Under Desjardins, the Canucks dont have a single forward whos averaging less than 10:10 (Derek Dorsett). Murphy concludes: The Canucks have back-to-back games this weekend and next (L.A. and Anaheim). If Sestito cant get into a game by that time I would guess hell be requesting another meeting with Benning.

Tom should get his chance when the team needs him most... the cali trip. But who do you sit out? Vey is helping the PP, and thatll be an important element vs those teams.

Im guessing itd have to be Matthias, but Im not convinced Willie will make that move... And as stated, Horvat could get the nod when injury strikes.

Tom will just have to be patient the way Alberts had to be patient a couple years back. He'll get his chance.... unless theyd rather play the call up kids...

While I'd normally agree with this first part, I have to disagree.

If we buy into the Cali team's way of playing, we lose that game. We just stick to playing/skating hard and taking tons of shots and play an offensive game. When we revert to that other stuff, we lose. We end up shorthanded by a mile and that never helps our game.

We'll see. I like Tom, but things are working fairly well...don't disrupt the chemistry that is developing or rock the boat. Don't fix it till it's broke. It isn't perfect, but you have to allow guys to play together and get familiar with one another if things are to get rolling. He'll just have to fill in when/where he's needed. Such is the life of a spare tire.

Sestito will play when he gets to the AHL where his foot speed won't be a liability. Oh right, he got all those goals in Junior....[insert sarcastic tone] no player has ever got a lot of goals in Junior and busted at the NHL level.

EDIT: To be fair, NotGillis should have waived him the minute he got Dorsett, allowing him to further his career on a team tanking for McDavid. He will not get a chance here.

Archived