The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

Sestito is the perfect 13th forward for when someone is hurt. At least he brings physicality, something missing from this team.

No, the "perfect" 13th forward knows to keep his mouth shut, put his head down and work his arse off.

He doesn't whine, he doesn't disregard his coaches instructions and he doesn't become a distraction. Particularly given that his previous role in the league is vanishing and it's in his own best interests to keep an NHL job. ANY NHL job.

This is all Sestito...though the writing was certainly on the wall for those of us willing to read it.

The Maple Leafs sent Orr and McLaren to the minors and suddenly there was this tidal wave of media frenzy about enforcers not being "in" anymore. I guess that's what happens when Toronto is allowed to take over all the sports programming across Canada. Just sad.
The Canucks are a soft team right now. They will not advance in the playoffs without having some rough, nasty players. In 2011, they had Torres and Lapierre and it still wasn't enough to deter the Sedins from being ragdolled without retribution. If they think Dorsett is enough to keep other teams honest, I feel sorry for the Canucks skilled players.

I am surprised so many people are calling the Canucks soft, they are not soft nor are we a team of goons - we are a middleweight. The Canucks have the following players who offer more than 1 dimension and can stand up for their teammates:

- Dorsett

- Kassian

- Bieksa

- Richardson

- Stanton

- notable mentions who do not shy away are Burrows, Hamhuis, Hansen

The only thing I'd like to see a bit more of is either Sbisa or Matthias dropping the mitts a bit more. Preferably Sbisa.... we could use a bruiser on D to place fear into the heads of players like Brown/ Perry/ Getzlaf/ Nolan et all who think it is OK to drive hard to our goal. Other than this, I think we are well placed.

He sounds pissed at Willie but he shouldn't be. There's no room for players like him in the NHL anymore.

I am surprised so many people are calling the Canucks soft, they are not soft nor are we a team of goons - we are a middleweight. The Canucks have the following players who offer more than 1 dimension and can stand up for their teammates:

- Dorsett

- Kassian

- Bieksa

- Richardson

- Stanton

The only thing I'd like to see a bit more of is either Sbisa or Matthias dropping the mitts a bit more. Preferably Sbisa.... we could use a bruiser on D to place fear into the heads of players like Brown/ Perry/ Getzlaf/ Nolan et all who think it is OK to drive hard to our goal. Other than this, I think we are well placed.

The only guy on that list who can actually do something to prevent opposing players from taking liberties is Kassian. Bieksa is tough but he can't be taking himself off the ice for long stretches of time. Dorsett is a fly who just gets swatted away. He's like someone's kid brother who tags along even though he shouldn't really be at the game.

This team is nowhere near abrasive enough to handle themselves in a playoff series, especially when things start to get dirty.

The only guy on that list who can actually do something to prevent opposing players from taking liberties is Kassian. Bieksa is tough but he can't be taking himself off the ice for long stretches of time. Dorsett is a fly who just gets swatted away. He's like someone's kid brother who tags along even though he shouldn't really be at the game.

This team is nowhere near abrasive enough to handle themselves in a playoff series, especially when things start to get dirty.

In the West I think we stack up well in the toughness category vs LA, MIN, DALLAS, CGY, CHI and NSH. The only teams which concern me are STL, ANA and WPG. Is this enough to be a significant worry? (especially if we pick up a bruising D man at the trade deadline)......but don't get me wrong if we could pick up a Lucic that would be awesome, the problem is there are not many Lucic's around.

He sounds pissed at Willie but he shouldn't be. There's no room for players like him in the NHL anymore.

Sounds like he simply thinks too much of himself honestly. He's a 4th liner on his best day. A dime a dozen.

I guess he's cleared waivers by now, placed on waivers on Saturday ?

I'm sure this is a shock to him that no other team is interested ( I guess in Orr and McLaren have only played 10 & 2 games respectively for the Marlies this season ....retired maybe ) in him. So he has to decide to play out this season and getting in shape retire or ???? become a fireman

I guess he's cleared waivers by now, placed on waivers on Saturday ?

I'm sure this is a shock to him that no other team is interested ( I guess in Orr and McLaren have only played 10 & 2 games respectively for the Marlies this season ....retired maybe ) in him. So he has to decide to play out this season and getting in shape retire or ???? become a fireman

Why would this be a shock? We picked him up on waivers when no other NHL team wanted him. Suddenly... nobody in the NHL wants him. Still. The more things change the more they stay the same...

Hopefully you enjoy seeing the Sedins getting abused without any consequence. With no Sestito in the lineup, there will be no reason for other teams to think twice.

Think twice about what?

This league hasn't thought twice about goons for many years now. They are useless, and non-deterrents while sitting on the bench. Intelligent people aren't afraid of garbage like that anymore, the league has wised up as a whole.

Think twice about what?

This league hasn't thought twice about goons for many years now. They are useless, and non-deterrents while sitting on the bench. Intelligent people aren't afraid of garbage like that anymore, the league has wised up as a whole.

What were the chances Nolan was going to take another run at a Sedin while Sestito was in the lineup? None. Now that Sestito is gone who is going to deter Hanzal from going after H. Sedin's ribs again? Nobody.

Being "team tough" only works when you have a few abrasive players that opponents actually take notice of when deciding to pick on your top players. Failing that, you need a Sestito, especially on a soft team like Vancouver.

What were the chances Nolan was going to take another run at a Sedin while Sestito was in the lineup? None. Now that Sestito is gone who is going to deter Hanzal from going after H. Sedin's ribs again? Nobody.

Being "team tough" only works when you have a few abrasive players that opponents actually take notice of when deciding to pick on your top players. Failing that, you need a Sestito, especially on a soft team like Vancouver.

Sestito didn't stop Hanzal last year and he wouldn't stop him now. You're living in a fantasy land.

- Dorsett

- Kassian

- Bieksa

- Richardson

- Stanton

Winning the Stanley Cup does not reguire "goons", "heavyweights" or fighters. That is a good thing, because if the above list is a list of "tough guys" then the Canucks are not very tough.

It is important to have guys who are physically strong enough to make hits, win puck battles, and fight for position in front of the net. I like the physical strength of both Matthias and Horvat.

Playing with intensity is also important, and this is what Hansen and Dorsett do. I hope Kassian can boost the intensity on his game and use his physical strength more in front of the net and in puck battles.

Archived