The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 thinks Lack should/will be traded

Santo

Trading Eddie Lack  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love Eddie. Before we signed Miller, i was hoping that we would just roll with Lack/Markstrom. I understand why Benning brought in Miller, but i don't think it was a necessary move.
Since no one picked up Markstrom off waivers, it's obvious that his value isn't high, even though i believe he has NHL starter potential. If Eddie plays great, and we can get something good for him, then i say trade him. I think Markstrom's potential might be even higher than Lack's potential, and we shouldn't just waste an asset like that.
This season is probably our best opportunity to trade Lack and get something good in return. He has 2 years left on his contract, with a good cap-hit. Also, Markstrom only got 1 year left on his contract. I doubt he would re-sign unless he sees a future here, which would be in the NHL. I don't see how Lack is our future tbh. Sure he's a good goalie, and he'll be better. But we just signed Miller, and he will be here until 2017. Even if Lack would play better than Miller, we aren't moving that 6 million contract with 3 years left. In 2 years, we would have that goalie salary problem yet again, with 2 goalies at a total of 10 million (most likely).
As i said, i love Lack and i want him to succeed, but let's face it, moving him makes a ton of sense. We signed Miller to a big contract. We have Markstrom in the AHL (shouldn't be there). We just drafted the number 1 rated goalie in this years draft(Demko). We even have Joacim Eriksson in the AHL, a goalie that could also grow into something good and valuable. Since Markstrom is in the AHL right now, it's obviously hurting Eriksson's development as well, since he should be Utica's starter and not the back-up. Eriksson also only have 1 year on his contract, so i bet he would be gone if he's not even a starter for our AHL team. We simply have one goalie too much in our system, it's as simple as that. And Lack is definitely the most expandable of them all.

Lol the Miller signing was such an awful decision by Benning. I can digest all the other bad moves he has made but not Miller. 3 year 18 million for a 34 year old. And a no trade clause with a 5 team list.

And Lack is UFA in 2 years.

Genius. :picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard::picard:

One of the biggest advantages the Canucks had during the PT/cup run years (and a big reason for the success they had) was having both Luongo and Schneider who were both starter quality guys who won them games. Benning is trying to recreate that same type of environment where they have a starting quality goalie for all 82 games and beyond if they make the playoffs. With Miller and Lack they have a good chance right off the hop to be held in games.

Compare that to having Lack and Markstrom. I think most would feel that Lack would be great and get his share of wins. But Markstrom is a much bigger question mark. So if Lack goes down to an injury and we need 40 games out of Markstrom are we confident he can hold the fort? I know I'm not. And I am sure Benning was not either.

when the team sucks you face far more shots and your numbers get inflated. look what happend when he went to a good team... st louis already found out hes not the guy he used to be... when goalies play for bad teams no one talks about the losses becasue its the teams fault ... but the goalie almost always has a high s% because of the amount of shots they face....

when the team sucks you face far more shots and your numbers get inflated. look what happend when he went to a good team... st louis already found out hes not the guy he used to be... when goalies play for bad teams no one talks about the losses becasue its the teams fault ... but the goalie almost always has a high s% because of the amount of shots they face....

when the team sucks as bad as the Sabres did, you face more shots and more high quality scoring chances. I'd bet that Miller probably faced more grade A scoring chances than an other goalie in the league last year.

when the team sucks as bad as the Sabres did, you face more shots and more high quality scoring chances. I'd bet that Miller probably faced more grade A scoring chances than an other goalie in the league last year.

This.

Many players, especially goalies, can struggle when traded mid season for a whole variety of reasons. But Miller is still a good goalie. He still steals wins and keeps his team in games. Plus he is a feisty competitor that wants to win. We all loved that about Kesler we should love it about Miller too.

Radio guys don't understand strategy.

- Jensen should make the team

- Horvat should be sent down

- We don't need Hansen anymore

- Waive Sestito

Miller will be traded when it's most convenient to the team. Next year or the year after. Lack will take over then.

I think it's pretty obvious what the plan is going forward.

"strategy" is not writing off a player like Hansen after one ridiculous season when the entire team played like shit.

"strategy" is not waiving assets like Tostito when we have NO other players like him in the system. He's as good of a hockey player as enforcers come, certainly a cut above the McGrattans and the like.

Jensen can be called up at any time, and he can be sent down without waivers. "strategy" says that would be the best move in terms of asset retention at the beginning of an unpredictable season. Who knows, with the way this team gets injuries, its probably a good "strategy" to not end up in a situation like previous years where we lacked the depth we needed once injuries set in.

"strategy" is not writing off a player like Hansen after one ridiculous season when the entire team played like crap.

"strategy" is not waiving assets like Tostito when we have NO other players like him in the system. He's as good of a hockey player as enforcers come, certainly a cut above the McGrattans and the like.

Jensen can be called up at any time, and he can be sent down without waivers. "strategy" says that would be the best move in terms of asset retention at the beginning of an unpredictable season. Who knows, with the way this team gets injuries, its probably a good "strategy" to not end up in a situation like previous years where we lacked the depth we needed once injuries set in.

I think you misread my post.

My post was quoting how the radio guys pick those incorrect options.

Hence, I disagree with all of them.

I dunno. I say we hang onto Lack for now. I can see the situation arising nearer the deadline when it's looking like we'll miss the playoffs and the Penguins will realise that with MAF in net they can't win the Cup. Cue trade for Miller.

That said, every player has his price. If Buffalo offered their 1st and NYI's 1st this year, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Archived