The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 thinks Lack should/will be traded

Santo

Trading Eddie Lack  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

omg don't you see whats going on here? TSN takes over the radio station, and now they wanna boost ratings, so they are going for the tried and true goalie controversy in Vancouver.

I agree Lack is gonna be super, but lets not kid ourselves. He's a backup goalie on every single team, even Carolina, Florida, Washington, Islanders. Until he out-plays a starter. He has an opportunity to do that, and at some point hopefully he will.

Lets count our blessings and hope Lack has a crazy good year for us, and makes it an easy decision for us to move Miller before his third year.

I am guessing unless something amazing happens, this will be Miller's last contract.

Maybe he can push it past 37, as conditioning extends careers longer these days, but there aren't too many great goalies age 37+

Guys like Roy, Kiprusoff and Giguere all retired around 37 years of age.

Some guys can perform late in their careers (Thomas, Brodeur) but for everyone one of those guys there's a Khabibulin or Hedberg.

Eddie will still be reasonably young in 3 years time, and perhaps ready to take on the starter's job, if not sooner than that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Eddie Lack will outplay Ryan Miller this year. Next season, it will be very clear that he's the better goalie. Trading him, without being absolutely sure that Markstrom will be able to take over in three years, would be a colossal mistake.

I don't think it's the mid day show you were listening to. It's Dave Pratt and Bro Jake who take turns holding Lack's 'nads while he goes to the bathroom. They think he's the next Patrick Roy

:blink: I came here for the sig... got a lot more than desired...

Lol at him being the next Roy, I'd want to keep him but he's by no means untouchable. Maybe with Winnipeg we could do Little, Budaj and pick for Lack and Bonino? They get a goalie who can start, we lose a potential goalie controversy, and we upgrade at 2nd center, while Bones gives them back some depth since they have Schiefele who could probably be a #1 soon.

Side question NucksPatsFan, what's happening with Brady in the sig?

:blink: I came here for the sig... got a lot more than desired...

Lol at him being the next Roy, I'd want to keep him but he's by no means untouchable. Maybe with Winnipeg we could do Little, Budaj and pick for Lack and Bonino? They get a goalie who can start, we lose a potential goalie controversy, and we upgrade at 2nd center, while Bones gives them back some depth since they have Schiefele who could probably be a #1 soon.

Side question NucksPatsFan, what's happening with Brady in the sig?

He and Edelman were super pumped and were messing around with each other playing hot potato for who gets to spike the ball after the touchdown.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Eddie Lack will outplay Ryan Miller this year. Next season, it will be very clear that he's the better goalie. Trading him, without being absolutely sure that Markstrom will be able to take over in three years, would be a colossal mistake.

I hope not by too much, with Miller also playing very well and enticing a team in need to pick him up so we can keep Lack and bring Markstrom up after having had time to work on what Melanson's teaching him. It'll be tough to find a team that can take on Miller's cap hit (we may have to take short term cap back) that is one of his 5 teams he'll accept a deal to, but that'd be better than trading a young goalie again.

Lack is worth significantly more to the Canucks than anything he would be able to fetch in a trade at this point. Most goalies are simply worth more than their trade value suggests because the jobs are limited for goalies in the NHL. There are obvious exceptions but honestly what team would pay a huge price for Lack at this stage? I can't think of one.

If Markstrom gets a full year in Utica, I can see him better than Lack. I wouldn't mind trading Lack but we would have to wait at least a year, maybe more to assess things

Lack has something more important than outright reflexes or size: A lights out mental game.

He simply doesn't get rattled. That's what makes me so excited about him. He has the mental consistency to be a starter. Markstrom... I don't know man. Bit of a head case already.

I've said it a few years ago, I like Lack more than Schneider and Luongo. Lack is still just 26. Give it a year or two, and he'll be the starter for this Canucks team. Miller is here for just three years, and he's gone after that. Would not be surprised if after a year or two, he serves as backup and Lack wins the starters position, then we can start the trade Miller chants.

Last year proved that Lack was overworked. Goalies will fail to develop properly if they play this way, look at Devan Dubnyk. Miller slows than Lack's progress allowing him to develop the right way and earn his starters position.

Only way Lack is traded is

1) at the draft maybe for a late first or packaged to move up the draft, or for a linden vey type of prospect, if we feel Markstrom has progressed.

2) at the deadline if we are not in the playoff and a contender has an injury to their number 1. That scenario would likely bring the best return, however, lots of IFs needs to happen.

I doubt Lack is going anywhere.

Yet.

Frankly at this point in his career, even with what he's shown at this level, he's not worth THAT much more than Markstrom. Goalies, particularly ones with limited NHL resumes, simply do not bring a lot back in trade.

Lose lack for a marginally better return than Markstrom...no thanks.

Radio guys don't understand strategy.

- Jensen should make the team

- Horvat should be sent down

- We don't need Hansen anymore

- Waive Sestito

Miller will be traded when it's most convenient to the team. Next year or the year after. Lack will take over then.

I think it's pretty obvious what the plan is going forward.

Archived