The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 thinks Lack should/will be traded

Santo

Trading Eddie Lack  

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Radio guys don't understand strategy.

- Jensen should make the team

- Horvat should be sent down

- We don't need Hansen anymore

- Waive Sestito

Miller will be traded when it's most convenient to the team. Next year or the year after. Lack will take over then.

I think it's pretty obvious what the plan is going forward.

That's been my thought, or at least the one I have to tell myself to make sense of why we'd get Miller for 3 years. Still, with that cap hit and a limit of 5 teams he can be traded to, it's not necessarily going to be easy to move him if Lack progresses faster than they thought (not to mention Markstrom and if he's willing to do this all over again next year).

Package Lack up for a draft pick to draft Oliver Kylington!

Alright now for seriousness... We're most likely going to package Miller during his second year here for rental dump :D

I'd think we do take back a short term cap dump if we can deal Miller, just so we can keep our options open on what teams to trade with (and fit Miller's NTC). If we can do that and get back a good pick and/or prospect I'll consider that a reasonable deal for a player we signed as a UFA without giving up any assets. It's a bonus if he does help mentor Lack and allow him to progress without being forced into too much too early in his career.

That's been my thought, or at least the one I have to tell myself to make sense of why we'd get Miller for 3 years. Still, with that cap hit and a limit of 5 teams he can be traded to, it's not necessarily going to be easy to move him if Lack progresses faster than they thought (not to mention Markstrom and if he's willing to do this all over again next year).

Miller's list will expand based on circumstance. The fact we even have a straight 5 to choose from is amazing.

By the deadline next year I can see teams willing to take on the final year of the contract if they feel he's an upgrade on what they have and if they can move another contract possibly.

By that time we will likely see another contract rise this off season with the projections for the following year. Not many starting goalies will be under $7 mil at that point. It all hinges in the quality of his game. That's the only real gamble IMHO. Not the salary and not the term.

I don't want Lack traded, but I think he might be. Hopefully, if it does happen, it will be after he plays a half season of great hockey and maxes out his value...which isn't a lot given his position.

I doubt he will net us any more than a 2015 2nd unless a team gets desperate. Right now Bryzgalov is avail for less than Lack makes now. I wouldn't take Bryz over Lack, but if the need arises someone will.

I don't want Lack traded, but I think he might be. Hopefully, if it does happen, it will be after he plays a half season of great hockey and maxes out his value...which isn't a lot given his position.

I doubt he will net us any more than a 2015 2nd unless a team gets desperate. Right now Bryzgalov is avail for less than Lack makes now. I wouldn't take Bryz over Lack, but if the need arises someone will.

Then you don't deal him. Be obstinate on this one. If someone's desperate, yet won't pay the piper, offer them a fine AHL 'tender(& sell that potential)!

Guest Dasein

So now we're just a team that perpetually trades away good goaltenders?

You gotta think that management had some succession plan in place when they signed Miller. Maybe there's an agreement in place that if Lack takes over as the number 1, Miller will be traded.

Lack is 26 right now. I think a year or two under Miller and he'll be ready. By that time we can trade Miller to a team looking to upgrade their goaltending, and Lack can take over.

By that time Eriksson and Markstrom will be 25/26 and one of them can take over as backup under Lack. Go with that tandem until Demkos is ready to step in as a backup.

And like others have said, Lack will not fetch as much as you would think. Maybe a 2nd and a prospect at this point if we're lucky. Definitely not worth it to destabilize our goalie depth.

Yes, but that assumes two things that are incompatible imo:

1) that Markstrom/Eriksson both clear waivers at least once more during training camp

2) that Markstrom/Eriksson both improve and show signs of promise

I think if Markstrom, especially, improves in the AHL and shows he's back on track to play for an NHL club, he will not clear waivers the next time. If he clears waivers next time, then he probably did not improve and I'm not sure if we should use him as a backup in a couple years. May be better to sign a veteran UFA to back Lack up in that case.

If Markstrom does improve as we hope he will, we are going to have to trade Lack or Markstrom or risk losing the latter via waivers the next time around (or trade Miller after only a year). At any rate, the return for any of those three won't be great - but at least it's better than losing Markstrom for nothing.

I'd take a 2015 9th overall for him haha

LOL wouldn't everyone :lol: we need to take an offensively skilled forward or a top defensive prospect though - no more "safe" picks as we have enough "backbone" type players.

"He's a backup goalie on every single team, even Carolina, Florida, Washington, Islanders. Until he out-plays a starter. "

He already did once, and the team shipped the other guy to Florida.

Questionable logic at best - Luongo was still better IMO and it was really the idiot coach who made the wrong decision thinking that Lack was better.

Definitely worth less than Schneider , so your looking at a 2nd or late first by a desperate team

Halak after a magical run went for Eller and a late 2nd

So if we Re going to trade him it would be in the offseason, because picks doesn't help us during the season and if Miller gets injured we would be in trouble as lack is way more ready than matkstrom to take the load

At the time I think Eller was considered a great prospect, so it was the equivalent of mid 1st/2nd, but I agree. We might get a first, but it'd be dumb to trade him now. IF we do trade him, wait till his value is high and make sure Markstrom is ready.

Questionable logic at best - Luongo was still better IMO and it was really the idiot coach who made the wrong decision thinking that Lack was better.

Oh I don't know. One could certainly make an argument that Lack's better now but what he hasn't been yet, is better more consistently.

Definitely worth less than Schneider , so your looking at a 2nd or late first by a desperate team

Halak after a magical run went for Eller and a late 2nd

So if we Re going to trade him it would be in the offseason, because picks doesn't help us during the season and if Miller gets injured we would be in trouble as lack is way more ready than matkstrom to take the load

he'll be an ufa by then

Who would you project to be the best NHL goal-tender among Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, Cannata....or even Demko?

If you think Lack has now peaked, this means he could be stuck behind Miller, who'll likely be a diva who that won't adapt sweetly to a back-up's role if out-played. In this scenario then, something could happen. But - I still see Lack as the clear future & Miller as the mentor who must compete hard or get-out-of-the-way...if he can't.

Lack may have the perfect demeanor ,when trained a little further in all of the ways he can assist his D-men, out there, and once he picks-up more of the nuances of the best snipers or net-crashing dirtbags in this league. He's no tough drill sargeant back there,...so perhaps its' a minor lack of intensity that's the only question remaining here.. in ways they don't seem to question Eriksson or Demko. I think they would prefer to move Markstrom - if he doesnt show flashes of more brilliance, soon. Clearly they'reing question Markstrom's mental make-up more. In comparison to the others listed,.. Markstrom's progression remains the wild-card.

I like all of the calm Eddie Lack provides,..in the same way that Tanev does. He does his business out there very neatly & proficiently. The question is really about...calm vs fire. What's best for the team? I suspect the Canucks will be seeing a lot of both from their goaltenders this year, so let's see which style back-stops them to the better results, shall we?

The evaluation continues. I hope they hold onto Lack for as long as possible,..unless some absolutely insane offer is made for him. But - I'm eally sick & tired of turfing away our goalies when in their prime. Just let Eddie build-up some good synergy with his D-corps & create a solid foundation for something even more special in the future.

I see this going very similarly to the Schneider/Luongo saga pre-controversy era. Give Lack 25-35 GP this season (26yrs old). Next season 30-40 GP (27yrs old), then after that transition Lack to starter (40+ GP and 28yrs old) . Season after that we have Lack as our full starter and given it'll be 4 years into the future, Demko could be ready to be an NHL backup by then at 22 yrs old or we have a veteran as Lack's backup.

No controversies or stupid trades of both goalies...Ride Miller into his sunset while Lack takes over slowly and properly. The same way Schneider became an absolute stud goalie. Sure Lack will be 28+ years old but barring injuries he could be a potentially elite starter well into his 30's. Meanwhile we still have a rock solid Miller and an outstanding backup in Lack to hold down the fort in net.

I also hope that there are some awesome short videos with Miller and Lack like we had with Luongo and Schneider.

his numbers in Buffalo last year say otherwise.......especially given how horrible that team was.

when the team sucks you face far more shots and your numbers get inflated. look what happend when he went to a good team... st louis already found out hes not the guy he used to be... when goalies play for bad teams no one talks about the losses becasue its the teams fault ... but the goalie almost always has a high s% because of the amount of shots they face....

when the team sucks you face far more shots and your numbers get inflated. look what happend when he went to a good team... st louis already found out hes not the guy he used to be... when goalies play for bad teams no one talks about the losses becasue its the teams fault ... but the goalie almost always has a high s% because of the amount of shots they face....

He'd still have to make those stops. If he doesn't then his stats actually get worse because he's facing more quality scoring chances due to the poor defence in front of him. It's not like the Sabres had a strong defensive system that allowed shots only from the outside (like Phoenix a couple years ago), they were giving up chances from everywhere and anywhere.

Archived