The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo passes Patrick Roy in career shutouts - 13th

Neversummer

It still amazes me that people wanted to trade Luongo on two separate situations because rookie goaltenders played good for not even a full season combined. smh

I dont think anybody had a beef with Luongo's regular season resume, it was his overall playoff showings that fans like myself grew weary of.

Congratulations on SO #67, Luongo.

He was chased out of town for not scoring in cup final

This.

Also would like to mention that he was the Canucks best player in each victory in the Finals. He may not have played well in the losses, but sure as hell, the team in front of them played just as bad.

Congrats Lui, still cheering for ya

I see no reason why he won't end up top-5 on the all time list.

If he plays even 4 more seasons and averages 4 SO/yr he'll end up with 86 total (3 more this season + 16 more) placing him at #4

As sabotage95 said, its incredibly impressive that he's accomplished that while playing so many seasons in FLA where the rubber comes early and often.

If he played for a defensive minded organization he could have competed for #1 all time in a number of categories.

Future Hall of Famer and by far the greatest goaltender this city has ever seen.

Happy for Lou. Will be cheering for him and the Panthers this year.

However, I disagree that he was "run out of town". The simple fact is, the Canucks had a younger, cheaper option in Schneider who had shown that he could provide the team with excellent goaltending.

The problem arose when the Cap Recapture rule was introduced, making Luongo's contract virtually untradeable. GIllis tried to mend fences by moving Schneids, but any goodwill that might have engendered was undone by "my way or the highway" John Torotorella.

At that point, the Canucks were basically forced into moving Lou for whatever they could get. Personally, I applaud Gillis for getting as much as he did, considering the fact that Tallon clearly held all of the cards in that deal.

I see no reason why he won't end up top-5 on the all time list.

If he plays even 4 more seasons and averages 4 SO/yr he'll end up with 86 total (3 more this season + 16 more) placing him at #4

As sabotage95 said, its incredibly impressive that he's accomplished that while playing so many seasons in FLA where the rubber comes early and often.

If he played for a defensive minded organization he could have competed for #1 all time in a number of categories.

Future Hall of Famer and by far the greatest goaltender this city has ever seen.

On the contrary, I believe it was when the puck came early and often were his best performances. It seemed like the less that went on in his end the worse he looked.

Deserves to be a HOFer once he retires but it might be hard because of the fact he's never won a Vezina. Might be unlikely now but I'd love to see him win one before he's done.

Hopefully the people that deicde who goes in the HOF look back at his 2006-07 season and realize that it was more impressive than many recent vezina-winning seasons.

Though it would still be nice to see him win one before he retires.

Archived