The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Early impressions of Willie Desjardins?

Sixteen W's

i dont understand people that think sestito is worth anything in the hockey world... i rather seen gaunce shink or jensen be called up than sestito get ice-time

even if its on the fourth line playing 9-10 mins a game which I might say isn't enough to generate much offense

It's early but I'm loving what I have seen so far. Even when we were getting blown out by Dallas, the Canucks still played hard like they had every intention of winning that game. For a couple of moments, it even felt like they might have been able to pull off one of the biggest comebacks in history.

Now, obviously they didn't win that game but when you have a guy behind the bench who can keep our boys playing hard even when they have every reason not to, it's huge.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'll throw in my standard line about Willie whenever a thread about him pops up: The man wakes up in the morning and pees championships. I'm not saying we're a cup contender as of now but if any coach can get us there, it's him.

My view, as more of an outside observer then a diehard fan, I have watched 4 of the Canucks games this year, (CGY, Edmonton(the shootout one) TB and Dallas. I did not see last night , as I was watching the Flames.

I can defanetly see a difference in the way the team plays under him. In my mind, the Canucks have always been a team defense first type coaching stragegy. I realize they scored tons of goals in 11, but for me they always stood out as being a frusterating team to play against because of there ability to clog up the neutral zone, play strong man on man coverage(except Edler and Bieksa), and generally be a strong overall defensive team.

UUnder WD, it certainly seems that he is allowing players to play to their strengths. The glaring difference from last year, is of course not seeing the Sedins rack up crazy minutes, and being thrown onto the PK, or diving to block shots. As well, overall the team chemistry seems happier and more content under him. As far as him as a coach, I think its really to early to judge that yet. He doesnt really seem to have a "system" at all yet, and please correct me if Im wrong. Im not saying the team looks like the Oilers under Eakins, but it really doesnt seem like he has a devised system or stragegy going into each game the way say AV did. With AV you could tell he had everything mapped out in his mind for each of the other 29 teams in the league, but again its early on and I think I will reservce judgement for mid-late season.

to sum it up I think the teams chemistry instantly became brighter under him, as opposed to Tortorella, but I don't see a true, devised system from him yet. Maybe that is his system, to not have a system.

System.

to sum it up I think the teams chemistry instantly became brighter under him, as opposed to Tortorella, but I don't see a true, devised system from him yet. Maybe that is his system, to not have a system.

A lot of articles have mentioned WD likes to make things up on the fly over the course of the game. I'll see if I can find a link to one.

Also, props to Calgary for how they've been doing so far this season.

Everyone mentions that we looked good at the start with Torts, but the difference there was that we were playing the Sedins and Kesler almost 25 minutes a night. Willie is playing the Sedins less, and is actually using our third and fourth lines. As a result, I don't think we'll burn out like we did with Torts.

Seems fine. There are the games where the Canucks give up a lot of goals (EDM, TB, DAL), but the goals the Canucks are giving up can't really be blamed on the coach. The Canucks have been doing very well possession wise out-shooting their opponents every game except St. Louis. I personally think Lack should have played in Edmonton and Miller in Tampa, but who knows that could have cost us to lose both those games. Scoring has been there.

I like him so far.

Early Impressions:

- He wears suits, but probably not all the time.

- He coach's a hockey team, which also means he knows the game of hockey.

- I've seen him talk to players, which means he knows how to communicate.

- Sometimes he yells, which may mean that it is difficult for people to hear him if he uses his inside voice.

- He's older, which means he has some life experience. However, he walks around without the use of a cane, a walker, or a wheelchair, so he's not too old.

- Because he has a mustache, he probably gets food stuck in it from time to time.

Not by me,

I saw the style he was bringing and personally thought it was B.S from day 1.

Didn't care that we were winning at the time, I just looked at it and said "This is not Canucks hockey, I don't like it"

although I remember debating with several posters about how wasn't a good coach for us, what happens to the flip flop types do they leave? Or is it always the same people, they just keep chaining their mind? I don't really pay attention to names on this site.

Me too. He was out the door after the Calgary cluste---k, as far as I was concerned. I thought at the time this is not what my team needs, in fact it almost made me physically sick to see Tortorella excusing himself night after night while visibly condemning the players.

Different looks on power play,,nice breakout options...ice time distributed well. Its early and we all liked torts in the beginning but he looks likd hd knows what he is doing!! Also liked that he visited players this summer to show respect...great quality for becoming a coach who is a leader as well

Everyone mentions that we looked good at the start with Torts, but the difference there was that we were playing the Sedins and Kesler almost 25 minutes a night. Willie is playing the Sedins less, and is actually using our third and fourth lines. As a result, I don't think we'll burn out like we did with Torts.

I love the new style, and was sick of Torts by the end of last year. That being said, WD does have a LOT better fourth line to work with this year.

I've liked him so far, hasn't done anything objectionable and I've liked watching the team play. Obviously with a new coach there's going to be some growing pains. I like how he's left the Sedins and Vrbata to just play their game. I hope he focuses on developing Bonino, Kassian and Vey.

That's a great point and I hope that's true to life. Young guys need to be coached and all three of these guys could be impact players of varying degrees if they get the opportunity to make mistakes and grow from them without the spectre of being benched hanging heavy over them.

AV cons:

very quiet except when he says "that's an elbow"

laughs when he should be arguing bad calls against his team

proven to make a successful game plan, but uses it over and over

defends ties and 1 goal leads.

Torts cons:

loud

intense

always expecting results which puts pressure on players

dump n chase

team quits once going down a goal

Desjardins:

neither loud or quiet

level headed

doesn't need to let players know that they've made a mistake, he knows that they know that he knows

aggressive forechecking

uses all 4 lines

team plays 60 minutes

I think Desjardins is the best of the three. B)

AV cons:

very quiet except when he says "that's an elbow"

laughs when he should be arguing bad calls against his team

proven to make a successful game plan, but uses it over and over

defends ties and 1 goal leads.

Torts cons:

loud

intense

always expecting results which puts pressure on players

dump n chase

team quits once going down a goal

Desjardins:

not loud but has a presence

level headed

doesn't need to let players know that they've made a mistake, he knows that they know that he knows

aggressive forechecking

uses all 4 lines

players play 60 minutes

I think Desjardins is the best of the three. B)

You forgot to include that AV has taken 2 seperate teams to the Stanley Cup finals in a 4 year span.

Archived