The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What surprises you most about this team so far this year?

VegasCanuck

What surprises you most about the team so far this year?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bonino for me. Definitely.

I had 0 doubt in the sedins, never have and never will. Our bottom 6 looked amazing on paper so that wasn't much of a surprise. Anyone that ever doubted the sedins was a moron. Only superstars win the art Ross.

My secondary biggest surprise is Miller's composure. Can't say I predicted him leading the league in wins. I knew he was good, but his ability to make monster saves and fill in for lui just like Lui played his been incredible so far. Still buzzing over that 3rd period stone job on the Blues, and to see Bonino snipe that winner past Allen just topped it off.

Oh and also Dorsett. He's been great. I didn't see that coming but I still think a 3rd rounder was unnecessary for a cap dump.

I'm really impressed with the job Willie Desjardins is doing. I didn't know much about him coming in so he was a big unknown. Everyone said how good he was going to be for this team (but people always say that - any new hire is supposedly the best available). Anyway, he really is good for the team and it's showing in many ways. I hope they can sustain it but there is no reason to think they won't (it's not smoke and mirrors, it's good sound hockey with a good sound effort and getting everyone involved and on the same page - and that is a winning recipe).

The energy/attitude and, with that, success they're having.

Being down 2-0 and coming back to score FIVE unanswered goals? Last year it may have taken 10 games to get 5 goals. I love the renewed spark...I think it's a combination of things contributing to that. New coach who knows how to motivate. Some distractions gone from the dressing room. Some youth pushing through the ranks and a couple of recent acquisitions providing some support. Don't want to get too far ahead...we will lose games and the key is in if they bounce back or just retreat.

For me, I think its the goal production. I thought they'd be pretty good, with rolling 4 lines, but goal scoring doesn't seem to be an issue, so far at least!

I have to agree with you with everything here.

On the flip side, I'm surprised that our faceoffs are that dreadful. We don't have a shortage of veterans on this team.

The work ethic for me. Even in the Dallas game when they were just getting their asses handed to them, they still played like they were trying to win the game. You never would have seen that last year.

Also, Dorsett! Holy crap does he have some wheels on him. I'm happy to see him getting rewarded with goals now as well.

Almost everything.

1st line - How well Vrbata meshed with the Sedins

2nd line - How good Bonino has been as well as Burrows and Higgins in a permanent 2nd line role

3rd line - Matthias, Richardson and Kassian's chemistry and the two big wingers using their size so well

4th line - Vey's offense as well as Dorsett's overall game

1st pairing - Edler's rejuvenated play

2nd pairing - no surprise here - the usual solid play from Hammer and Juice

3rd pairing - Sbisa's physicality

Miller - 9W1L is all that matters

Lack - perhaps the negative surprise - he hasn't been awful but he hasn't excelled either

and honourable mentions to Jacob Markstrom in the AHL - 4 shutouts in 6 games is nothing to scoff at

The work ethic for me. Even in the Dallas game when they were just getting their asses handed to them, they still played like they were trying to win the game. You never would have seen that last year.

Also, Dorsett! Holy crap does he have some wheels on him. I'm happy to see him getting rewarded with goals now as well.

When they were down by 3 in the Third, but had a 2 man advantage, about the only thing I would have done differently, would have been to pull the goalie. I mean...you're down by 3, go 6 on 3 for 45 seconds and see if you can pull within 2 and make Dallas sweat a little more.

im also suprised markstrom has 4 shutouts in 6 games with a save percentage of .968 so sick

According to Utica's play-by-play guy, Markstrom has yet to be really tested. That said having a three game shutout steeak is good against any combo of teams.

According to Utica's play-by-play guy, Markstrom has yet to be really tested. That said having a three game shutout steeak is good against any combo of teams.

He had at least one game where he fast 30 + shots. I know that the last one was a little quiet on the shot front though!

For me, it's the bottom 9. It's not just that they're playing well; it's that they're producing important points not just padding points and empty netters.

Same here. Really love how balanced we are.

When was the last time that we could pretty much throw any line out there and not panic if they had to play more than 4 or 5 min a game?

Archived