The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC's Vantage College: Canadians need not apply

Violator

He felt as though we are being taken over. I said hold on here.

I'm not discussing the article right now...at least not specifically.

Go back and read the whole thing between me and him/her. I know alot of things get thrown out there.

It's kind of frustrating that you're automatically targeted me for inciting something when i was trying to defend the doom and gloom scenario of losing our society.

So you keep adding to this.

That last line?....isn't that what you just did to someone here? Automatically targeted them for presenting a different opinion than yours?

There are some issues currently being brought to the forefront with people with money who simply want to use resources here. There are empty condos because overseas investors simply view them as money making machines, not homes. That means we have ghost towns and increases in costs of living here, driven up by people with no interest in living here.

There are now students being displaced because people with $$ are taking priority. It's become an exclusive city vs an inclusive one. These are very real issues and yes, for some, uncomfortable to discuss. But throwing out names and fear mongering ABOUT their dialogue is exactly what you're doing. Any issues that are ever solved begin with discussion...not pretending they don't exist. Anyhow, not going down this road...back on topic, which is not that your ideas are the final word.

ok, your call. I was never agreeing with UBc but apparently you think i do. I was trying to defend against the doom and gloom of our culture being taken over but...apparently you already made up your mind.

Tisk tisk you bad bad boy. Throw him in the dungeon Deb. It’s ridiculous that their dirty money can buy anything when they pay their workers **** all.

On 11/7/2014 at 0:26 AM, debluvscanucks said:

So you keep adding to this.

That last line?....isn't that what you just did to someone here? Automatically targeted them for presenting a different opinion than yours?

There are some issues currently being brought to the forefront with people with money who simply want to use resources here. There are empty condos because overseas investors simply view them as money making machines, not homes. That means we have ghost towns and increases in costs of living here, driven up by people with no interest in living here.

There are now students being displaced because people with $$ are taking priority. It's become an exclusive city vs an inclusive one. These are very real issues and yes, for some, uncomfortable to discuss. But throwing out names and fear mongering ABOUT their dialogue is exactly what you're doing. Any issues that are ever solved begin with discussion...not pretending they don't exist. Anyhow, not going down this road...back on topic, which is not that your ideas are the final word.

But that wasn't really an opinion...he/she took a shot at someone. And so I responded... You took this all wrong. You seriously have to reread all that again.

Ok, so now you're accusing me of many things that are unwarranted while mentioning topics that i was never discussing with him/her. I dn't think you get it. I agree with everything you said but those weren't the issues i was alluding too.

its the #10 comment that i was alluding to. It's that specfic kind of ignorance that can be dangerous. That was my concern.

I said my ideas are the final word? Really? Where? I was trying to tell that guy to be careful with that kind of sentiment.

"Throwing out names and fear mongering about their dialogue" is your own bullsh*t. Not mine. Apparently when that person does it, its ok. Figures...

if you want a discussion, have at it, but don't come at me with your crap about "pretending it doesn't exist". Those weren't the issues i was discussing with him/her. Now, if you want to talk about the issues from the article, lets do it.

That person and I were talking about something completely different then what you and I are discussing. So yes, lets do get back on topic which is not your own nonsense being apart of all this.

Also don't blame the people, but the governments who are allowing this..

Our system is built upon Free market capitalism so if you have an issue I would suggest contacting your local MP or something..

The thing is that, money talks. Thats the unfortunate part of all this. That's how the wealthy Asians(which is funny cause i'm Asian) are also getting into the country, money. While the honest ones take the long road.

This reminded me of the Douglas college scandal for some reason.

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/a-postsecondary-enrolment-bust-is-coming.aspx

http://cwf.ca/publications-1/boosting-educational-attainment-in-western-canada

These two articles explain the drop in post secondary education enrolment among Canadians in Western Canada. These factors must play in when schools decide to cater to international students aside from the money factor.

Also just because some students were displaced doesn't mean the "community" as a whole was deeply impacted...

I am pretty sure UBC eventually accommodated those displaced students.

IMO if people are willing to pay double or even triple the cost of education here in Canada we shouldn't complain but endorse it.. I have yet to hear stories of people being deeply impacted by international students in North America..

This is no different from people going abroad to study in English only Universities.

Projected drops and, from what I understand, this hasn't impacted UBC (yet) and their numbers have increased over the past few years? I may be wrong, but that's what I believe. Personally, I know of people who have applied to UBC and were declined, so it can't be that bad if they're turning people away.

Tuition increases and other rising costs don't help if you're concerned about numbers - make it possible FOR people to enter the program. So one of the things the article presents is the possibility of targeting groups here that are currently struggling with costs...making it possible for them to attend? That would raise the bar for those living here and their quality of living would improve, so you'd be helping eliminate some of the poverty and you'd have educated people with access to better jobs. But we're going in a direction that very much is "money first"....at the expense of some. That isn't an ideal way to do it in my view. People matter first/foremost and providing opportunities shouldn't be limited to the highest bidder. That's how some of us feel.

If you trample on some to fulfill an agenda, it isn't necessarily the best option.

The thing is that, money talks. Thats the unfortunate part of all this. That's how the wealthy Asians are also getting into the country, money. While the honest ones take the long road.

This reminded me of the Douglas college scandal for some reason.

Yeah I agree its unfair, but that's the way our system is setup to be... If people want change they need to demand it via the polls or revolution. Ostracizing and scapegoating an entire group of people won't cut it.. Last time I checked they aren't breaking any laws since our governments allow it.

On the subject of foreign intruders apparently wreaking havoc on local populations lol.. How do you think people from the developing or third world feel when rich North Americans pay pennies on the dime for their labour and resources.. Its the same situation on both sides.. Governments exploiting people for money, and turning a blind eye to the common man.

Yeah I agree its unfair, but that's the way our system is setup to be... If people want change they need to demand it via the polls or revolution. Ostracizing and scapegoating an entire group of people won't cut it.. Last time I checked they aren't breaking any laws since our governments allow it.

On the subject of foreign intruders apparently wreaking havoc on local populations lol.. How do you think people from developing or third world countries feel when rich North Americans pay pennies on the dime for their labour and resources.. Its the same situation on both sides.. Governments exploiting people for money, and turning a blind eye to common man.

The second paragraph was what i was discussing with that other person. That we have to tread carefully. The fear might be warranted but don't get carried away with reacting wrongfully. That was it.

The pessimistic side of me feel that the situation has to get very bad before we force a change which is unacceptable. I was told by my professor that when tuitions went up, most people didn't really react it. Except Quebec, they got angry, visibly angry.

Projected drops and, from what I understand, this hasn't impacted UBC (yet) and their numbers have increased over the past few years? I may be wrong, but that's what I believe. Personally, I know of people who have applied to UBC and were declined, so it can't be that bad if they're turning people away.

Tuition increases and other rising costs don't help if you're concerned about numbers - make it possible FOR people to enter the program. So one of the things the article presents is the possibility of targeting groups here that are currently struggling with costs...making it possible for them to attend? That would raise the bar for those living here and their quality of living would improve, so you'd be helping eliminate some of the poverty and you'd have educated people with access to better jobs. But we're going in a direction that very much is "money first"....at the expense of some. That isn't an ideal way to do it in my view. People matter first/foremost and providing opportunities shouldn't be limited to the highest bidder. That's how some of us feel.

If you trample on some to fulfill an agenda, it isn't necessarily the best option.

Actually nowadays money shouldn't be an issue to attend University.

There are plenty of loans and grants available to students if someone absolutely wanted to study in a intended program.

I found an interesting article for you to read: http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/too-asian/

On the subject of foreign intruders apparently wreaking havoc on local populations lol.. How do you think people from the developing or third world feel when rich North Americans pay pennies on the dime for their labour and resources.. Its the same situation on both sides.. Governments exploiting people for money, and turning a blind eye to the common man.

Good points, and I really can't argue them as they are valid. With that, started reading the article (find it quite interesting) and will chime back in tomorrow.

Good points, and I really can't argue them as they are valid.

Thank you :)

I do agree its unfair, but there has to be a grass root movement for change just like there has to be in the developing/third world.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/canadian-university-report/can-you-afford-university/article14948509/

^ This article acknowledges the rising costs of University but also ways of paying for it. Ideally it shouldn't be this way though. As I like many don't want to be swimming in a mountain of debt when I graduate.

Thank you :)

I do agree its unfair, but there has to be a grass root movement for change just like there has to be in the developing/third world.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/canadian-university-report/can-you-afford-university/article14948509/

^ This article acknowledges the rising costs of University but also ways of paying for it. Ideally it shouldn't be this way though. As I like many don't want to be swimming in a mountain of debt when I graduate.

It's especially harder because of the lack of power. Many times (and this is probably off topic) the western countries come in with their own ideas and systems which ultimately screws up their community. Its frustrating when the government goes, "money money money".

In a way, we have to help it along or else our government and their government will just keep shaking hands.

I remember learning this in sociology and it was painful.

I get it, money talks. But are we also all just glossing over the fact that this is a school designed for students deemed more or less not up to UBC entry standards? And I'd have to agree with FramingDragon/Luci on this, I rarely saw international students even try to integrate with domestic students in undergrad. They join their _insert nationality_ club and speak their own language, and that seemed to be pretty much it. I'm sorry to be lumping them all in together like this because there are some international students that aren't like this...but just a general observation...

I get it, money talks. But are we also all just glossing over the fact that this is a school designed for students deemed more or less not up to UBC entry standards? And I'd have to agree with FramingDragon/Luci on this, I rarely saw international students even try to integrate with domestic students in undergrad. They join their _insert nationality_ club and speak their own language, and that seemed to be pretty much it. I'm sorry to be lumping them all in together like this because there are some international students that aren't like this...but just a general observation...

No and i would agree with that. But sometimes its always easier to be part of your own crowd.

I think another way of looking at it would be, if their intention is too study here and eventually go back, from their point of view, integrating may not be a priority.

Also, its not the same when Canadians go to American schools. From Asia to Canada is a huge cultural change. Like, i suck at making friends so i can sorta understand why they may just stick to their own group.

Archived