The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

New team, new season. We could go back 10 seasons to see how we did against those teams, but it has no basis of what we do this season. In the past, the ice has been quite slanted in California though.

However this was not a reflection of how this team can play against either of these teams. Even last season we at least competed hard against these teams, we were just edged out almost every time. Tonight they didn't even give themselves a chance to win, so unfortunately we didn't even get a chance to see what we're capable of, which is a shame.

I won;t judge this team based on one game. The real judgement for me is how they respond to a game like this.This game was going to be tough in the best of circumstances. Add in a night off shot blocking and getting pinned in their zone by San Jose, and it made it that much tougher.

man its not just one game its 3 seaons of Edler, hamuis, bieksa, burrows, higgins, hansen, tanev, and the twins being BADLY outplayed by these teams

Bigger players like Kassian, Mattias, Horvat, Jensen and a sniper like Vrb might help but this isn't a new team by any stretch.. its the same team that has made some nice additions. Yet had the same outcome as the last 3 seasons.

New team, new season. We could go back 10 seasons to see how we did against those teams, but it has no basis of what we do this season. In the past, the ice has been quite slanted in California though.

However this was not a reflection of how this team can play against either of these teams. Even last season we at least competed hard against these teams, we were just edged out almost every time. Tonight they didn't even give themselves a chance to win, so unfortunately we didn't even get a chance to see what we're capable of, which is a shame.

I won;t judge this team based on one game. The real judgement for me is how they respond to a game like this.This game was going to be tough in the best of circumstances. Add in a night off shot blocking and getting pinned in their zone by San Jose, and it made it that much tougher.

Well I hope you won't use the Anaheim game to judge this team either as I predict more of the same. Outshot 2 to 1. Pinned on our own end. Out Corsi'ed. Out hit. Out Face-off'ed.

Then you'll have 3 games like this. Enough for you to judge how this team plays in SoCal?

But a few months ago, this was the 6th-worst team in the league playing the Stanley Cup champs, in their rink. The team has already made significant strides, and we're only 14 games in. The changes have only just started, the upcoming youth are looking promising, the season and the team's turnaround has just begun.

The whining and complaining and handwringing really is nonsensical at this point.

man its not just one game its 3 seaons of Edler, hamuis, bieksa, burrows, higgins, hansen, tanev, and the twins being BADLY outplayed by these teams

Bigger players like Kassian, Mattias, Horvat, Jensen and a sniper like Vrb might help but this isn't a new team by any stretch.. its the same team that has made some nice additions. Yet had the same outcome as the last 3 seasons.

That's almost half the forward group that has changed. And all of them bring size which is exactly what we needed to compete against these teams.

Unfortunately with Kassian and Jensen out, Horvat still getting his feet wet, and Vrbata still battling injury, we didn't get to see a true test tonight, even with their poor play aside.

The D can play better, and has. Tonight was lack of practice coming to the forefront. The morning skate just isn't enough to keep these guys sharp. Especially with the new D pairings.

But a few months ago, this was the 6th-worst team in the league playing the Stanley Cup champs, in their rink. The team has already made significant strides, and we're only 14 games in. The changes have only just started, the upcoming youth are looking promising, the season and the team's turnaround has just begun.

The whining and complaining and handwringing really is nonsensical at this point.

We made great strides against other teams, personnel and styles of play. Just not against SoCal.

Well I hope you won't use the Anaheim game to judge this team either as I predict more of the same. Outshot 2 to 1. Pinned on our own end. Out Corsi'ed. Out hit. Out Face-off'ed.

Then you'll have 3 games like this. Enough for you to judge how this team plays in SoCal?

No, all things have to be equal. Meaning they have to come to our house when we're nice and rested.

Until then I don't see how one road trip can determine too much.

if only they'd kept Hodgson, right.

No, all things have to be equal. Meaning they have to come to our house when we're nice and rested.

Until then I don't see how one road trip can determine too much.

Alright alright I agree at least to this.

Speaking of which, our next game against ANA will be another 2nd of a back to back... the only consolation is the 1st game will be Edmonton.

I guess it's a matter of being cup half full or empty people.

Some have the attitude that it's got to be perfect...you have to win convincingly and if you grind out wins, they somehow don't count. They do.

I get it - it was awful. But my half full cup says we've won 6 of our last 8 games. That we weren't supposed to compete much at all and were washed up...that we would tank for picks, etc. Never bought it and still don't.

The rest is just details. The ONLY thing that matters at the end of the season is who has the most points....not who has the most shots. Who won the most face offs. Who is the biggest, baddest. Just who has the most points.

Then, come playoffs, a lot factors in. Some of it's luck, some is timing of injuries and, yes, some teams are favoured as they are strong teams. But it doesn't play out on paper.

I've watched hockey for a long time...learn to roll with the punches, folks, or you suck all the enjoyment out of it.

GO CANUCKS.

Archived