The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Kings

-Vintage Canuck-

So 10 and 5 is not progress? Expecting to win the cup this year, too? The remake has only just started.

That's the thing that I think we all need to step back and think about.

No one expected us to be this good this soon. Maybe we all got caught in dreamland remembering the days of being President's trophy winners. But the reality is, the goal is to be a playoff team this season, not to win the league and stroll through all the California teams.

Right now it's about bringing up young players in a competitive environment. I would say so far so good on that front.

Team is good, not great but that's not a problem as of yet.

Nucks first opponents and they simply got outplayed. Our team has raised others eyebrows and we should remember they aren't projected to be anything great. Although they have shown they are good, not great and it'll come with time. LA did outplay us in every phase of the game though so it was pretty disappointing to see that. They just move too fast and lay the body too often, eventually takes its toll on us.

However, Bo was really the lone bright spot today. Another solid game and he's showed no reasons why he doesn't deserve to stick. Always hitting the net and causing havoc, never out of position, and anticipates the play on both ends of the ice real well. Not so bright spot is that defense. Overall been pretty below par all season long. Give up way too many 2-on-1's. Just can't win with that type of play. Hope they find their game otherwise I'll be happy to see JB make moves.

I said it is progress.... just not against SoCal.

Again, what do you expect? A new GM and coach to change the team from whipped to champs in a few months of an off-season? Is it an all-or-nothing game? All the positives and winning record are worthless? This black-and-white thinking is really baffling. Meanwhile the Oilers, Buffalo, Florida, Carolina etc. are still wallowing in the crapper for years on end -- would you prefer that?

That's the thing that I think we all need to step back and think about.

No one expected us to be this good this soon. Maybe we all got caught in dreamland remembering the days of being President's trophy winners. But the reality is, the goal is to be a playoff team this season, not to win the league and stroll through all the California teams.

Right now it's about bringing up young players in a competitive environment. I would say so far so good on that front.

This. Let's remember this folks.

well, for a guy going on about a roster that can't compete in California, I find the fact that you have been of the biggest complainers about that trade exceedingly ironing.

Btw, if I were 5, you'd have been outsmarted by a kindergartener.

I don't think you know what irony is if you think that is ironic or even relevant. You don't seem to have a grasp on "outsmarted" either

If you want to talk about your obsession with Hodgson why don't you head to one of the many threads you hang out in talking continuously about him for years now.

YOU mentioned Hodgson here once again nobody else did.

Truly one of the most juvenile posters on this site.

Matthias had a really solid game today.

He's really impressed me lately.

Exactly the type of player we need to compete against LA and San Jose.

Some people don't think Kassian being out was a difference maker tonight, but he will be against them in the future. Having two big bodies like that that can be physical and sustain pressure in the offensive zone is key.

That third and fourth line didn't punish the Kings D nearly as much as they needed to.

Agree on Bo for sure. 3rd NHL game, played 15 minutes against the SC champs, taking D zone faceoffs against Kopitar and he held his own admirably.

Also agree about the defence. Noticeably poor so far this year are Bieksa and Hamhuis. Seem slow and are turning over the puck constantly. Maybe our age is catching up to us.

Benning wanted to see what he had after the Cali trip or 20 games or so. It will be interesting to see if he makes any "adjustments"

Tonight was disappointing in terms of effort but what we have to realise is that the Kings sucked for quite a number of years to get were they are now. Yes they drafted well in Doughty, Kopitar but they had the pieces to go out and get the Carters and Richards of this world.

We are still rebuilding, if you want to call it that. Playoffs would be a good result for this team this season. Our prospect pool is a lot better since the last draft and shows a brighter horizon for this team.

Through thick and thin, we hate it when we lose, we love it when we win but we'll always love this team.

I agree with most that we still haven't got rid of enough of the old slow-poke deadwood like Bieksa, Hammer, Burrows and Hansen. Too bad they were given NT clauses and multi year deals by MG as they age well into their 30's while other teams rejuvenate with youth and vitality. Hopefully they will be embarrassed enough as the game passes them by that they eventually give in and take a trade to Florida and retire into the sunset. Once those "anchors" are set free we can use that money to get additional quality fresh blood into our system and start to compete with the likes of LA and Anaheim. Until then we will have to be patient while JB marches forward with changes within his ability. In the meantime the team has performed decently and I like the new players JB has brought in. Bonus- the 2 drama queens are gone. Keep the faith...all good things take time.

Im a little late for the PGT but what i noticed in tonights game was we lost every single battle a long the boards and always was second to the puck....

We didn't hit nearly enough, the only guy that threw their weight around was Dorsett and Sbisa... and they're both injured now. lol

The battle effort wasn't there which was dissapointing after Miller stole one for us last game we let him out to dry.

I know it's just one game but the Kings exposed our holes tonight, if we gotta get through them to get to the Cup we're going to need to add more weapons up front. Higgins on the 2nd line isnt going to cut it.

He's really impressed me lately.

Exactly the type of player we need to compete against LA and San Jose.

Some people don't think Kassian being out was a difference maker tonight, but he will be against them in the future. Having two big bodies like that that can be physical and sustain pressure in the offensive zone is key.

That third and fourth line didn't punish the Kings D nearly as much as they needed to.

Agreed on Matthias, Kassian frustrates me, he has ALL the tools to be a dominant force in this league but his effort levels in some games lack.

All part of the learning process I suppose.

Archived