The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to trade Kassian is now, and not later.

Piggy Bank

Your missing the key part of this, I've rarely if ever hear people criticize zack because of the lack of points he putting up. Sure you put him with the twins and his stats as sure to improve but the same could be said for any player on the team. You put any player in the lineup with better players and they will produce better is kind of obvious.

With zack the criticism he gets is not his scoring ability or even his lack of scoring it's that he floats around the ice and doesn't become involved in the play as he should, both on the back check and the forecheck. You could put him with the biggest plugs in the nhl and he would still have the opportunity to show that he can be involved in the play and can hustle.

This idea that he's being held back by his line mates is insane and needs to die. When he shows he's ready to take the next step he will get the chance to play with better line mates and in turn will put up better numbers, till that time players that have already shown what the coach wants to see will have the opportunity to play with the better players and in turn be putting up more points.

Yep.

And three head coaches now have seen that, which is why Kassian has been mired on the 3rd/4th line.

I continue to show patience with Kassian. He's a smart enough player, and he knows what he has to do. It's just a matter of how much he wants it.

Possibly we are watching another clip, the clip I'm watching is zack lunging directly at the player head almost looking like he's trying to play supper man and knock his head off, not only that but the player never even saw him till a split second before the impact.

I understand the rules and I'd agree with you other then the hits your trying to use are not compatible to that hit. This was far from a charging call it was a gross intent to take a players head off. Bert's hit on Moore is a love tap in comparison, he lucky that he wasn't seriously hurt. Watch the clip again you probably just glanced at it.

Regardless this nothing to do with if we should or shouldn't trade zack it's old news from the past and a little off topic. I think it's safe to assume he's not going to throw a hit like that again, we hope anyway.

If you understood the rules you'd know it was in fact charging. If you leave your feet, as explained in the videos, it's charging not attempted murder. I'm guessing you didn't bother watching the videos. There were several NHL suspensions last season for exactly this type of hit (launching into the hit). None of them were 20 games. I get that you don't like Kassian but your gross exaggerations are just making you look silly.

Again, it doesn't matter at all if the player sees the hit coming or not. You can say it as many times as you want but it has no relevance to getting a suspension.

"Time to give him more offensively-oriented line-mates" is more like it.

From CanucksArmy's player report card:

Plays come to die on Richie's stick; he's good on defense but not on offense. Maybe it's time to try him with Horvat and Hansen, and put Matthias and Richie with Dorsett? I'm sure that with his vision he can at least replicate what Dorsett did against the Hawks in terms of play-making since Zack also likes to make plays from the perimeter and off the rush, and it would be a solid two-way line as well. Then we'd have a strong crash-and-bang/ work off the rush fourth line that would be better than most.

Hansen - Horvat - Kassian

Matthias - Richie - Dorsett

// Vey

If the Canucks got an honest to goodness 2nd line center for our two hulking monsters, the canucks would become EXTREMELY hard to play against.

3 scoring lines with the 4th line chipping in as well.

Kassian played a pretty good game last night, and I would say outplayed both his linemates. He had some great defensive plays in his own zone, threw some good hits, and I didn't see him have any horrible giveaways. Take away Matthias' fluke goal (even he was surprised it went in) and he had a crappy night. He gave away the puck or lost puck possession countless times, and doesn't use his linemates well when in the offensive zone. I'm not as critical as Richardson because he brings other things to the table through his defensive game, but Matthias is not outplaying anyone in my opinion.

If that counts for a pretty good game then all I can say is thank goodness it is Willie and not you coaching.

There is so much fart sniffing in this thread it's not even funny.

When Nino is the most rationale hater in a thread you know there's an issue. ;)

It's too bad because there could be actual discussion rather than people defending Kass by trashing his line mates and people attacking Kass based on their need to dislike something and not ever admit to being wrong about a judgement they've made while backing it up with opinions.

IMO he's shown a jump this season from last season. He certainly doesn't meet my expectations of his yet but my expectations of him aren't based on needing to see him pull into the top 6 right now. He's played good hockey this year on the third line. He's been what this team needs him to be more often than not in the role he is in. I don't think that I know more about hockey than the average person, I've played most of my life but there's people in this thread I've seen with a tonne of knowledge regarding the game saying some pretty silly things just to bring him down. Give credit when it's due, it will actually make your legitimate criticisms that much stronger.

There's not a hope in hell he can usurp Radim Vrbata or Alex Burrows so a third line role makes sense to me. He's exactly where he should be and for the most part I've seen him doing what he should be doing there.

Regardless of Kassians point production, you NEED guys like him against big teams like boston. How awesome would it have been to have Zack come on with the Sedins after marchand punched the sh!t out of Daniel in the finals.

Yes awesome to see McQuaid or Lucic or Chara grind Zack's face into the ice. I think you are letting your Zacklove get the better of you.

There are only 2 guys out there who would deter the 2011 Bruins in any way and they were on duff teams not ours.

Glad WD is the coach and not you as well, if Kass was that bad last game he wouldn't have got pp. Now lets hear your deflection.

Kass is living on promise at present and I don't need to deflect to support that opinion. When he starts to outwork Richie and Matthias I will give him the credit you people give him regardless.

Kass is living on promise at present and I don't need to deflect to support that opinion. When he starts to outwork Richie and Matthias I will give him the credit you people give him regardless.

Playing in the NHL isn't about who breaks a bigger sweat, otherwise I'm sure all of us could get in based on "hard work". Matthias has been busting his $#@ lately, but that doesn't fix suck.

Playing in the NHL isn't about who breaks a bigger sweat, otherwise I'm sure all of us could get in based on "hard work". Matthias has been busting his $#@ lately, but that doesn't fix suck.

Maybe so, but a guy who does work harder will get the benefit of the doubt from the coach more than the guy who wanders around without a clue.

Let's face it. Kassian has the size, strength, wheels and talent to be an NHL player but can anyone here argue against the inconsistency he shows on the ice. I believe Kassian can play better than he has but right now, in my humble opinion, he has been given far too much latitude with regard to his mediocre play. It is obvious that he is a fan favorite and there are those that believe he should be playing top six minutes. I suggest if his play displayed the tenacity and effort of a top six forward, Willie D would have him playing those minutes, yet there certainly has been no indication from Willie that that is the case.

Last game Zack played on the PP. I saw nothing positive in his play to suggest he belonged there. Even his cycling and fight against the wall did not reveal any of the capabilities people claim he demonstrates in every game. Does he personally believe he is entitled to more ice time even though it is not deserved or is he just lazy. Zack needs to play up to his ability each game. Failing that, he might find himself on the outside watching some hotshot rookie playing in his spot.

No player is entitled to anything because they are a favorite of the fans, or they played well in junior, or where they were picked in the draft. They play when and where, dictated by the consistency and effort they show in every game. Kassian is not displaying that to any advantage of his.

Let's face it. Kassian has the size, strength, wheels and talent to be an NHL player but can anyone here argue against the inconsistency he shows on the ice. I believe Kassian can play better than he has but right now, in my humble opinion, he has been given far too much latitude with regard to his mediocre play. It is obvious that he is a fan favorite and there are those that believe he should be playing top six minutes. I suggest if his play displayed the tenacity and effort of a top six forward, Willie D would have him playing those minutes, yet there certainly has been no indication from Willie that that is the case.

Last game Zack played on the PP. I saw nothing positive in his play to suggest he belonged there. Even his cycling and fight against the wall did not reveal any of the capabilities people claim he demonstrates in every game. Does he personally believe he is entitled to more ice time even though it is not deserved or is he just lazy. Zack needs to play up to his ability each game. Failing that, he might find himself on the outside watching some hotshot rookie playing in his spot.

No player is entitled to anything because they are a favorite of the fans, or they played well in junior, or where they were picked in the draft. They play when and where, dictated by the consistency and effort they show in every game. Kassian is not displaying that to any advantage of his.

Kassian got 2:45 of PP time or two shifts.

The first shift was for 45 sec and the line didn’t get the puck set up in the zone. They did dump it in and Vbrata got caught which then created a 2 on 1. A player who wears #9 (Kassian for those that don’t know) was the first forward back and broke up the 2 on 1.

The second shift the line was on for the full 2 minutes. When the puck was in zone, Kassian was playing middle, not along the boards like people have suggested him losing battles. At one point he did move to the top of the circle. Edler passed him the puck, Kassian dangled 2 devils and then got good scoring chance. He got a good shot off that got blocked where the rebound came out and Daniel nearly capitalized.

He didn’t cost the team any goals, he didn’t even have giveaways, he had 4 hits, he got the puck out of our zone along the boards, back checked, created a few scoring chances, and played almost 15 minutes, but he's also lazy because at one point when we had two forwards in deep he was the high guy.

Do people actually watch the game? The insist that people believe there hockey knowledge but yet nothing they say reflects what actually happens in the game. One would have to assume that they actually didn’t watch the game or they don’t have a clue what’s going on after the puck is dropped.

Inconsistency is his problem, I will whole-heartedly agree with you there. When (if) he can overcome that he will be a great player. My problem is all of the negative comments that are made towards him, even in games where he plays well. He did look weird on the powerplay, yeah, but it's also the first time in forever he's been given the opportunity to play with those guys. Let's face it, Sedins/Vrabata play a MUCH different game than Matthias/Richardson.

Give it some more time. He showed improvement last year, and that is what you want in a young player. If by the end of this season there isn't any improvement, or if there is regression, then I would say there is an issue. Still too early in the season, combined with the multiple injuries he's already had this year.

Well it looks like you might get your wish, he wont be going on the road trip due to the slash he took last game. Lets see if his fill in does any better.

The first shift was for 45 sec and the line didn’t get the puck set up in the zone. They did dump it in and Vbrata got caught which then created a 2 on 1. A player who wears #9 (Kassian for those that don’t know) was the first forward back and broke up the 2 on 1.

The second shift the line was on for the full 2 minutes. When the puck was in zone, Kassian was playing middle, not along the boards like people have suggested him losing battles. At one point he did move to the top of the circle. Edler passed him the puck, Kassian dangled 2 devils and then got good scoring chance. He got a good shot off that got blocked where the rebound came out and Daniel nearly capitalized.

He didn’t cost the team any goals, he didn’t even have giveaways, he had 4 hits, he got the puck out of our zone along the boards, back checked, created a few scoring chances, and played almost 15 minutes, but he's also lazy because at one point when we had two forwards in deep he was the high guy.

Do people actually watch the game? The insist that people believe there hockey knowledge but yet nothing they say reflects what actually happens in the game. One would have to assume that they actually didn’t watch the game or they don’t have a clue what’s going on after the puck is dropped.

This is how I felt about that game too. For any doubters, please go watch how many times Matthias gives away the puck in that game.

Exactly.

And that summary is a micro-example of what he does night in and night out.

His undelying numbers - actual objective outcomes - don't lie. He is so much better than a bunch of poogoggle wearing nellies on these boards realize - but their opinions don't matter in any event - because the Canucks management and coaching staff don't miss what is right before their eyes - they know what they have in Kassian - and if he were a liability as some blind folks here suggest, he wouldn't be getting the situational use he does.

I think there is an expectation discrepancy with Zack Kassian. He is not a Super Star and likely will never be one. He is a great depth player and he is an energy guy who fills a role on our team. He is not cap costly and he is not a defensive liability. He is inconsistent in his offensive play at times. When I say, "give the guy time", I'm not saying, "give him time to become a world beater", I'm saying, "give him time, he'll become more consistent". I am not a fanboy nor am I a hater, I just see Kassian for what he is. A decent NHL prospect with the potential to be top 6 in the future...or not. Either way, he is still a valuable player in the bottom 6 for us Some folks need to relax.

I agree with your analysis. Also its not just Willie that doesn't trust play him top 6, it was the same with AV and Torts. At some point people have to realize its the player at fault.

Ray Ferraro said something interesting on the radio earlier this month...he said that the vast majority of the time, the player you are at 25 is the player your going to be for your career Zack is going to be 24 in about 2 months, and so far we have seen nothing this season to show that he is reaching his potential. He really needs to pick it up before he is just seen by the Canucks and the rest of the league as a high draft pick who simply could not translate his skills well enough to the NHL level. If we wants to be top 6 on an NHL team in the future something simply needs to change real soon.

I can pretty much guarantee that if he had centers like Messier and Cassels (and later Morrison) and a linemate like Naslund, Kass' production would be a lot different. And don't give me any crap about earning a top 6 spot or having a 200 foot game because the guy that I'm comparing him to certainly didn't at 24. Not even close.

Willie says himself that Zack has high end skill but he needs to pay attention to detail. He's not going to knock anyone out of the top six right now either because they're all solid pros with a ton of experience. Plus that line's been developing some nice chemistry lately.

Archived