The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to trade Kassian is now, and not later.

Piggy Bank

Well in essence that's a fair point.

However there comes a time in our quest for a Stanley and while we are prepared to roast players like Burr, Matthias, Vey, Bieksa, Edler and Sbisa that Kassian has to become accountable, much as his fanboys would rather roll out every excuse under the sun to delay it.

I am not a blind fan of any player. I am only interested in JB making the team as strong and as CONSISTENT as possible to win a Cup. It's not the players I am a fan of it's the team.

My being loyal and refusing to see a player's downside doesn't equate with wishing to put the best possible team on the ice.

I honestly think this is Kassian's last season of tolerance from the management, we have some strong players coming through and we can't wait forever for him to "get the picture"

"I think we've found the problem with your expectations; they're all based on stats."

Well that's his expectations dealt with maybe but not mine. Mine are his laziness, lack of application, immaturity, failure to concentrate and losing focus. 24 in 2 months time, alarm bells ringing unless he improves.

"Well that's his expectations dealt with maybe but not mine. Mine are his laziness, lack of application, immaturity, failure to concentrate and losing focus. 24 in 2 months time, alarm bells ringing unless he improves."

LMAO...

That's why WD is playing him more & more & also seeing him on the PP... Cause of all the reasons you see. NOT. Pretty sure it doesn't work like your saying...

You might try a new pair of glasses cause I think YOU'RE on the opposite opinion of the COACHING STAFF...

Ahh yes you know more than them too...lol.

Umm no one. Most of the talk from anyone who knew how this works was about how Kassian would not be able to move up the depth charts with Burrows and Vrbata ahead of him on the depth charts.

Also you are high off your balls if you think the next step in progression has much to do with points for Kassian and even higher if you think that it means an 11 point jump.

I think we've found the problem with your expectations; they're all based on stats. Your "theory" that there has been a regression is not something you're going to be able to back up with anything but the NHL.com stats section but I'd love to hear an actual breakdown of his play from last year to this year that doesn't include generalizations and cliche.

Right on!

It's not just that people's expectations are just based on stats either. One of the media guys might say something and people latch onto it without even considering whether that statement had any validity. How about having your own opinion based on what you see during the game, not just what the folks say in between periods or on the radio. Remember, those guys are not there to present the most accurate facts, they are there to get ratings, which in most cases means creating the most controversy.

Hopefully the Kassassin can get back and have a solid stretch of injury free hockey, so he can find his stride.

"I think we've found the problem with your expectations; they're all based on stats."

Well that's his expectations dealt with maybe but not mine. Mine are his laziness, lack of application, immaturity, failure to concentrate and losing focus. 24 in 2 months time, alarm bells ringing unless he improves.

Those are all opinions not expectation.

"Well that's his expectations dealt with maybe but not mine. Mine are his laziness, lack of application, immaturity, failure to concentrate and losing focus. 24 in 2 months time, alarm bells ringing unless he improves."

LMAO...

That's why WD is playing him more & more & also seeing him on the PP... Cause of all the reasons you see. NOT. Pretty sure it doesn't work like your saying...

You might try a new pair of glasses cause I think YOU'RE on the opposite opinion of the COACHING STAFF..

Does not play short handed.

Plays second unit PP time -without one point registered.

Playing a fourth line role and minutes.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I hate the "linemate" argument when assessing a player but it appears the entire third line is struggling and Kass is possibly the scapegoat.

+/- isn't an exact science but when you look at how each line Is performing, there is a glaring issue with the third line's performance.

1st line ... +14

2nd line ... +21

3rd line ... -23

4th line ... even (includes Sestito)

As the 4th line has often been used to go up against the top line (i.e. Chicago) and the Sedins have gone head-to-head with top lines frequently, it cannot be dismissed that the third line has poor +/- because of the competition and their role. The third line is not generating offense and it would appear they are also not playing a sound defensive game.

Kass may be part of the problem but certainly can't take all the blame. Hard to look good on a line struggling this bad.

The third line picked up a few +'s tonight.... To bad zack wasn't there to get any.

That's not good news for Kass. If the third line plays better without him, he becomes expendable.

I like Zack Kassian, but if he can be traded for an upgrade, I'll take it.

I like Kass and wouldn't be happy to see him go, but if someone came along and offered a young offensive defenseman with solid potential {eg. Ryan Ellis, Derrick Pouliot}l, I'd do it without thinking twice.

That's not good news for Kass. If the third line plays better without him, he becomes expendable.

I like Zack Kassian, but if he can be traded for an upgrade, I'll take it.

Any certain upgrade is a no-brainer. It just won't be possible in Kassian's case because the team buying him would use against us; the fact that we grabbed him and then threw him away shortly thereafter. There is no trading Kassian. Not tomorrow, not at the deadline, not next year. He either reaches his dominant 2nd line power forward potential or he plateaus at being a 3rd line grinder. Either way, he's ours for a long time. Or at least until the Zack/Cody deadline blockbuster fades from GM's recent memories. No point trading him from a disadvantageous position in which we'll receive bottom feed scraped outta the barrel. He's currently a depth forward with the potential to shine under the right circumstances. Let's offer him more of those circumstances, instead of embarrassing the organization with a knee-jerk move that helps nothing.

It seems to me Zack is becoming the odd man out.

I have not been particularly impressed with his play this season, I was hoping for a big improvement. He has had several seasons to get his game to gel and show some 200 ft playing skills, but I still see a general defensive liability.

I could see the team trading him for an upgrade on the back end, I think we have enough offensive players to fill the gap he'd leave and a good young offensive defensiveman would be the missing element this team needs.

If he wants to assure his place on this team, he needs to play with more determination and grit... not just assume his size will make space for him. He also needs to be more aware of his defensive responsibililties, something which is not happening frequently enough in my opinion.

Kassian got 2:45 of PP time or two shifts.

The first shift was for 45 sec and the line didnt get the puck set up in the zone. They did dump it in and Vbrata got caught which then created a 2 on 1. A player who wears #9 (Kassian for those that dont know) was the first forward back and broke up the 2 on 1.

The second shift the line was on for the full 2 minutes. When the puck was in zone, Kassian was playing middle, not along the boards like people have suggested him losing battles. At one point he did move to the top of the circle. Edler passed him the puck, Kassian dangled 2 devils and then got good scoring chance. He got a good shot off that got blocked where the rebound came out and Daniel nearly capitalized.

He didnt cost the team any goals, he didnt even have giveaways, he had 4 hits, he got the puck out of our zone along the boards, back checked, created a few scoring chances, and played almost 15 minutes, but he's also lazy because at one point when we had two forwards in deep he was the high guy.

Do people actually watch the game? The insist that people believe there hockey knowledge but yet nothing they say reflects what actually happens in the game. One would have to assume that they actually didnt watch the game or they dont have a clue whats going on after the puck is dropped.

Man do you have a photographic memory.

Are you trying to tell me you remember all the Kassian moves in that game, move by move, or did you watch it again on your PVR to try to make your point.

If you had to review it again, I rest my case.

His play was so unremarkable that even you had rely on your PVR to debate this issue. Obvious that Kassian is a fan favorite of yours.

Had his play in that game been so memorable to you, why did you have to review it again.

Tell me, what did Higgins do at the 5 minute mark of the third period. You should have his play down pat too eh? No peeking at the old PVR now

Ya tell me all about it "Hockey Guru". You intently observe every detail of a hockey game, or you claim to do so anyway. By the way, what is a "good shot" when it gets blocked?????

I still believe Kassian is not playing up to his level of ability and until he does, I will consider him a lazy hockey player.

Ideas like this makes me think you work at a Costco or something

That's an insult to costco employees. Working at costco would actually be a smart choice....

-$24 an hour top wage

-medical

-dental

-vacation time

-pension

-free membership for you and 2 members of your family

-$3000 bonus every 6 months after topping out your wage.

-no silly uniforms

-they promote 90% of their managers from within.

I know people with university degrees that decided to work for costco because of the pay and benefits.

Well in essence that's a fair point.

However there comes a time in our quest for a Stanley and while we are prepared to roast players like Burr, Matthias, Vey, Bieksa, Edler and Sbisa that Kassian has to become accountable, much as his fanboys would rather roll out every excuse under the sun to delay it.

I am not a blind fan of any player. I am only interested in JB making the team as strong and as CONSISTENT as possible to win a Cup. It's not the players I am a fan of it's the team.

My being loyal and refusing to see a player's downside doesn't equate with wishing to put the best possible team on the ice.

I honestly think this is Kassian's last season of tolerance from the management, we have some strong players coming through and we can't wait forever for him to "get the picture"

First bolded segment I agree with mostly. The hate train on some other players on the team can be pretty ruthless at times whereas Kassian gets a free pass.

Something to consider.. it is not like we are paying him 4 mill per. He hasn't broken out yet but we are also not paying him as if he has. Kassian is well worth his cap hit.

2nd bolded point is more just assumptions that you (and others) have made. None of us know Kass or hang out with him in the summer. How can you say with any sort of accuracy that he is immature, lacks drive, etc. You make it sound as if he has a bad case of ADD and needs some Concerta ASAP.

Be patient he is still young and trying to figure his game out. Does he need to skate harder at times? sure. But it is up to Willy D and Kass to make him the best player he can be.

We need to stop this 'what have you done with me lately' attitude toward our players. A season is full of peaks and valleys on both a micro (players) and macro (team) scale.

Archived