The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 Family Members killed on Dream Trip to Disney - Nice people making bad decisions.

Dazzle

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/5-family-members-killed-on-%e2%80%98dream-trip%e2%80%99-to-disney/ar-BBf1VRI?ocid=iehp

5 family members killed on ‘dream trip’ to Disney

NEW ORLEANS—Michael and Trudi Hardman had always talked about taking their six children to Disney World, and just a week before Thanksgiving, it seemed their “dream trip” was to be a reality.

But just a little more than three hours after they took to the road Wednesday night, their SUV veered off a highway and rolled over in Louisiana, killing them and three of their kids.

Police believe the couple’s 16-year-old son apparently fell asleep behind the wheel of the SUV en route from Terrell, Texas, to Orlando, Fla.

The driver, who was not identified, was charged with reckless operation of a vehicle following the 11 p.m. crash on Interstate 20 near Calhoun, Louisiana, state police spokesman Michael Reichardt said.

Michael Hardman’s brother, Timothy Hardman, said the driver and two passengers were injured, one critically. The driver and the other injured passenger were treated at the hospital and released Thursday morning, he said.

The teen driver veered left onto the median and then tried to get back onto the highway but overcorrected, causing the 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe to roll over, police said.

Michael and Trudi Hardman were both primary-school teachers from Terrell, Texas. Also killed were sons Dakota Watson, 15, and Adam Hardman, 7; and daughter Kaci Hardman, 4, police said.

None of those killed wore seat belts but the driver did, officials said.

The distance between Terrell and Orlando is about 1,700 km — a 16-hour drive. The family left their home in Terrell about 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. Wednesday, according to Timothy Hardman, meaning the accident occurred early in the journey.

Michael Hardman was a Grade 2 teacher at an elementary school in Terrell, said Terrell Independent School District Superintendent Michael French. He had worked in the district for two years, French said.

Hardman also was a little league baseball coach who coached his sons, one of whom, 12-year-old Aaron Hardman, was in critical condition at a Shreveport hospital, Timothy Hardman said.

“He never turned a kid away,” Timothy Hardman said. “Michael probably had the biggest heart of anybody you ever knew. He just loved kids.”

Trudi Hardman was a kindergarten teacher at Wills Point Primary school and had worked for the Wills Point Independent School District for about 10 years, Superintendent Suzanne Blasingame said in an email.

Blasingame said Michael Hardman also had formerly taught at Wills Point Primary.

“Our school and community is grieving for this family,” said Blasingame, who had traveled to Louisiana to be with the family.

Timothy Hardman, 38, of Crandall, Texas, said his brother and Trudi Hardman were married about five years ago and had six children between them. Michael Hardman had three boys from a previous marriage, while Trudi Hardman had two boys from a previous marriage, Timothy Hardman said. The couple had a daughter, Kaci, together, he said.

Timothy Hardman, who travelled to Louisiana after he was notified of the accident, said his brother’s family had scheduled the trip about nine months ago, and had planned to stay at Disney World for a week.

“They’ve always talked about it,” he said. “It was their dream trip. It was an opportunity for them to take all of their kids.”

Police don’t believe the young driver was impaired, but a toxicology sample was taken. The stretch of I-20 where the deadly crash took place is flat and straight and the weather was clear, they said.

“Our heartfelt condolences go out to all of the people affected by this tragic crash,” said Col. Mike Edmonson, the Louisiana State Police superintendent. “In an instance, this family vacation turned into an unspeakable tragedy.”

Seems like a nice family, and unfortunate that they had to die.

Three kids without parents and one of them is the cause of the accident.

Sometimes this is a sad world... :sadno:

And PLEASE people, wear your seatbelts! Don't believe these stories that people will tell about how "My cousin's friend was in a rollover and they told him that if he was wearing a seatbelt, he would have been killed".

Seatbelts save lives. It's a fact.

1. They should all have been wearing seatbelts. especially on an interstate.

2. They should not have let their 16 year old drive at 11pm on the interstate during long distance travel.

Now that teenager's life is ruined. He was smart enough to where his seatbelt and because of it he is being charged for killing the 2 parents and 3 siblings he now has to live without. Parents can be so stupid sometimes. I hate to hear about the deaths but its now time to worry about the living and I am really feeling for this young guy.

Three kids without parents and one of them is the cause of the accident.

Sometimes this is a sad world... :sadno:

And PLEASE people, wear your seatbelts! Don't believe these stories that people will tell about how "My cousin's friend was in a rollover and they told him that if he was wearing a seatbelt, he would have been killed".

Seatbelts save lives. It's a fact.

anyone who has seen the icbc rollover demo at school knows what not wearing a seatbelt in a rollover means

1. They should all have been wearing seatbelts. especially on an interstate.

2. They should not have let their 16 year old drive at 11pm on the interstate during long distance travel.

Now that teenager's life is ruined. He was smart enough to where his seatbelt and because of it he is being charged for killing the 2 parents and 3 siblings he now has to live without. Parents can be so stupid sometimes. I hate to hear about the deaths but its now time to worry about the living and I am really feeling for this young guy.

Agreed.

Now, he has the double whammy of life-long guilt and being charged.

“He never turned a kid away,” Timothy Hardman said. “Michael probably had the biggest heart of anybody you ever knew. He just loved kids.”

Apparently he didn't love his kids enough to ensure that they were wearing seatbelts. And now his children have died thanks to his poor parenting.

Why would you embark on a 1700 mile journey at 8PM? Why would you allow an inexperienced youth drive at that time? His inexperience was the prime factor in this crash. Why no seat belts? I just I want to have sympathy but it's hard. Teachers should be smart people.

I knew someone who died as a result of the seat belt. Back when there weren't shoulder straps in back seats. Given the force of the impact, there's no way to believe she would have survived without it, so I'm not advocating going without. I gotta believe that more have died without wearing a seat belt than those who have died wearing one

Now, when most vehicles have full 3-point seat belts, you gotta be insane not to wear one, especially with cars getting flimsier to meet emissions standards.

they didn't have to die, if they would have worn their seatbelts they might have lived. it's unfortunate that they did die.

Yeah, that's a sobering truth right there.

Why would you embark on a 1700 mile journey at 8PM? Why would you allow an inexperienced youth drive at that time? His inexperience was the prime factor in this crash. Why no seat belts? I just I want to have sympathy but it's hard. Teachers should be smart people.

It's a bizarre set of circumstances. I'm thinking that they had it off so that they all could sleep.

My buddy is convinced because his dad survived a crash because he catapulted through the window and survived because he didn't wear his seatbelt

He's lucky that he survived, obviously. Does he want to test lady luck again?

I knew someone who died as a result of the seat belt. Back when there weren't shoulder straps in back seats. Given the force of the impact, there's no way to believe she would have survived without it, so I'm not advocating going without. I gotta believe that more have died without wearing a seat belt than those who have died wearing one

Now, when most vehicles have full 3-point seat belts, you gotta be insane not to wear one, especially with cars getting flimsier to meet emissions standards.

People are going way too fast too.

How did the person die because of the seatbelt? Was it a design flaw? (I know that you mentioned that it didn't have a shoulder strap). Was it a 'whiplash' effect that killed him/her then?

anyone who has seen the icbc rollover demo at school knows what not wearing a seatbelt in a rollover means

I was driving when the seatbelt law first came into being. Back then, people were constantly coming up with these stories, basically because they didn't like being forced to wear their seatbelt. (And see? We already have a couple in this thread)

A lot like bikers and helmets...

what the hell? Someone actually liked this post?

5 someones. :picard:

I almost never use the picard, but in this case, it's justified.

People are going way too fast too.

How did the person die because of the seatbelt? Was it a design flaw? (I know that you mentioned that it didn't have a shoulder strap). Was it a 'whiplash' effect that killed him/her then?

She was in the back seat, and the force of the collision had the belt either crush her vitals or actually cut her open (I'm guessing the former). This was over 20 yrs ago, and she was a friend of my roommate, so I'm not clear on the details as I used to be. Likely a head-on, but I don't remember who was at fault. I agree, speed was a likely contributor here.

Back-seat seat belts were generally uncomfortable when they first came out. I wonder if they are better engineered now so that they offer better protection, even in cases where there is no shoulder strap (like many middle seats).

Back-seat seat belts were generally uncomfortable when they first came out. I wonder if they are better engineered now so that they offer better protection, even in cases where there is no shoulder strap (like many middle seats).

My 2010 middle rear seat belt has a shoulder strap. As of the 2015 model year all new car middle rear seat belts must have shoulder straps in Canada. The ministry of Transportation works with the auto industry to implement improvements to vehicle safety standards every year so yes, seat belts now are better engineered than they were 20 years ago.

And those who say seat belts suck because being ejected from the vehicle saved them I gotta ask: What the hell is the matter with you?

My 2010 middle rear seat belt has a shoulder strap. As of the 2015 model year all new car middle rear seat belts must have shoulder straps in Canada. The ministry of Transportation works with the auto industry to implement improvements to vehicle safety standards every year so yes, seat belts now are better engineered than they were 20 years ago.

And those who say seat belts suck because being ejected from the vehicle saved them I gotta ask: What the hell is the matter with you?

Their brain suffered G-Force trauma during their exit out.

Archived