The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Kassians' stats say he's on par with his development?

Sandro17

Look, I'm a Kassian supporter, but more importantly, I'm a Canucks supporter. And honestly, I'm starting to get impatient with Kassian's progression as a "power forward" or whatever you like to call him.

I know it might take a while, but at this point I wouldn't be too upset if we packaged him away in a trade as long as it helps the Canucks.

My opinion is based on what I see, not by a sabre fan that lurks another teams board to chirp on kassian threads.

His play in Rochester is a pretty small sample of his career.

I guess I could call Daniel Sedin a penalty killer with that logic.

You obviously don't know what the term lurker means. I have almost 2,300 posts on CDC. I don't normally hang out on any single kind of thread.

If all that you want is Canucks fans in this forum then all that you will be left with is a bunch of biased opinions on hockey, not to mention the board would be missing discussions with other people from around the world.

I don't agree with your definition, or lack thereof, when it comes to the idea of a power forward. Disagreements happen. I'm just much more polite than most people when there is one.

You obviously don't know what the term lurker means. I have almost 2,300 posts on CDC. I don't normally hang out on any single kind of thread.

If all that you want is Canucks fans in this forum then all that you will be left with is a bunch of biased opinions on hockey, not to mention the board would be missing discussions with other people from around the world.

I don't agree with your definition, or lack thereof, when it comes to the idea of a power forward. Disagreements happen. I'm just much more polite than most people when there is one.

Thank you so much for your unbiased opinion.

I value it a lot, and 2300 posts wow, are you a Canucks prospect!?

What else can you tell me about Kassian that I can't see because of my bias opinion?

By classifying Kassian as a power forward, you expose your lack of understanding the definition of a power forward.

Zack is a big guy with skill who can protect the puck and play reasonably well along the boards. (Puck Possession)

The literal definition of a power forward is, a player who generates offence off the forecheck and by driving to the net.

Although Zack does try to be a power forward at times, he instinctively is not. He is a skilled puck possession player with size.

Until he plays to his instinct and to what he truly is, he will always be inconsistent. Because he is trying to be something he is not.

This isn't a bad thing, in my eyes it's a good thing, he actually fits our team better playing a puck possession game. And when he does, he has success.

So please stop calling the man a power forward.

Imo he struggles on the boards, that's why he seems to stand off and let others do his battling for him. If anything that is what leads to people thinking he lacks compete and stamina.

I think Kassian was rushed a bit into Buffalo and then even Vancouver. He was sent back to the OHL after being drafted but IMO needed another season in the OHL just like Bo Horvat, followed by a bit of time in the AHL. Sure, when he was thrown into the AHL he played VERY well but couldn't make that transition to the NHL, which is something Bo Horvat is doing because his development was a lot smoother. Watch as we give the right treatment to Virtanen. Virtanen and Kassian are very similar players, and we're going to leave Virtanen in the minors for another 2 seasons followed by maybe half or a full year in the AHL before he plays his first NHL game (similar to Horvat).

These bigger, power forwards who need to play well defensively need that extra time to develop before they're rushed in, and I believe Buffalo rushed him into pro hockey one year too soon. Who knows how that will pan out for him later down the track, but I believe he'll just take another few seasons to develop his good defensive play and consistent offence and maybe peak around 26-27 years old, if not 30 which is fine by me.

He is a great trading chip, but with beasts like Matthias and Kassian still young and performing well I think we should hold onto them for now. Matthias is playing career best hockey of late and I'm sure when Kassian is his age (26ish) he'll be doing the same. You need middle-6 forwards in the West to compete with teams like Anaheim and San Jose, and Matthias and Kassian scattered throughout our lineup definitely help that cause.

He IS NOT a power forward. He is a player who likes to receive the puck in the open as he doesn't do well in competing situations, especially on the boards.

Thank you so much for your unbiased opinion.

I value it a lot, and 2300 posts wow, are you a Canucks prospect!?

What else can you tell me about Kassian that I can't see because of my bias opinion?

Be a d*ck all that you want to. When people have said what you are saying to visitors to the board, long time Canucks fan posters come right out and they say that they enjoy having visitors from other fan-bases here.

I watch Canucks hockey on the nights that the Sabres aren't playing. They came into the league at the same time as the Sabres and for that reason they have always been my second favourite team.

By classifying Kassian as a power forward, you expose your lack of understanding the definition of a power forward.

Zack is a big guy with skill who can protect the puck and play reasonably well along the boards. (Puck Possession)

this is something that's been racking my brain for the past year. starting to make a little sense now. while everyone wants to quickly compare kassian to a todd bertuzzi, and call him this rugged power forward with these great hands, i just see him as a steve bernier type player. not that there's anything wrong with that-- there's something useful in a player like that, but kassian lately has been nothing like the player he was brought in for-- a big guy who can move the puck. he does it on occasion, to where it keeps some fans on his side but overall, i'm not overly impressed. i'm not gonna keep buying in to the whole "he's still young" deal

then again, burrows was, what, 26 years old before he started to produce, outside of everything else we asked from him? i'd even argue that zack kassian is no alex burrows in terms of work ethic

Be a d*ck all that you want to. When people have said what you are saying to visitors to the board, long time Canucks fan posters come right out and they say that they enjoy having visitors from other fan-bases here.

I watch Canucks hockey on the nights that the Sabres aren't playing. They came into the league at the same time as the Sabres and for that reason they have always been my second favourite team.

SabreFan1, I appreciate your contributions on this board. I would participate more if there were more posters that behaved decently towards others and had thoughtful insights in their posts. It's really difficult to wade through all of the pablum on these boards to read the few well written posts.

Sadly, many on here can't manage to have an opinion and also respect others'. Civility seems to be dying off along with the art of conversation.

As Benjamin Disraeli said long ago, "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct". Words to live by on CDC.

PS My thoughts after watching Kassian for the last few years is that he doesn't have a high hockey IQ. He struggles with reading and anticipating plays. Hopefully he'll figure it out. If he does he has all of the skills to be a great player.

Very underrated last season. 14 goals 29 points almost all 5 on 5 with 3rd line minutes and linemates is solid (most productive on team?). Top 6 minutes / linmates and decent pp time would turn those 29 points into around 50, if he kept it up.

You need to take into account that his stretch of points came when he was in contract talks. He's always shown he "could" be a great player if he put in more effort. I see no reason he should be back in the lineup at the present time much less get top six mins to improve his point totals. Also keep in mind that his "hands of stone" line mates did great with him on the sidelines.

SabreFan1, I appreciate your contributions on this board. I would participate more if there were more posters that behaved decently towards others and had thoughtful insights in their posts. It's really difficult to wade through all of the pablum on these boards to read the few well written posts.

Sadly, many on here can't manage to have an opinion and also respect others'. Civility seems to be dying off along with the art of conversation.

As Benjamin Disraeli said long ago, "How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct". Words to live by on CDC.

PS My thoughts after watching Kassian for the last few years is that he doesn't have a high hockey IQ. He struggles with reading and anticipating plays. Hopefully he'll figure it out. If he does he has all of the skills to be a great player.

yeah never thought he doesn't have a hockey IQ, should have realized it's why he looked lost, you know what they say defenders or derensivelygood players are always the smarter ones, Edler is a D and knows when to go or not to go

Archived