The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Kassians' stats say he's on par with his development?

Sandro17

One of these Canucks that will be 24 years of age next month has 28 NHL assists.

The other that was 23 years of age already registered 71 assists.

Both were third line Canucks at the same age . Can you name them both?

Your one clue is that one could pass like a Sedin and the other was touted to have hands like a Sedin.

Ok I'm confused. You're agreeing with me that we shouldn't trade him?

I was pointing out that Kass is easily movable but he's kept around anyways. This means that he's not the odd man out.

It would be foolish to move him. He's not hurting the team either on the ice or in cap space. He doesn't need to be removed as punishment for a trade he never asked for. He had the least to do with what brought him here (his only sin being a player the previous GM coveted)

Even if Kassian never improves much (and I think he will greatly improve) his cap hit is on par with his place and performance.

There is no good reason at all to toss him under the bus.

I was pointing out that Kass is easily movable but he's kept around anyways. This means that he's not the odd man out.

It would be foolish to move him. He's not hurting the team either on the ice or in cap space. He doesn't need to be removed as punishment for a trade he never asked for. He had the least to do with what brought him here (his only sin being a player the previous GM coveted)

Even if Kassian never improves much (and I think he will greatly improve) his cap hit is on par with his place and performance.

What you said was blatantly obvious I think pimp is just messing with you.

In any trade it's all what you get back, if Benning is unsure he may opt to take a safer path and move him for a prospect or vet he's more sure of. If he finishes this year still looking like a gamble is take the safe road myself.

Agreed 100%

What you said was blatantly obvious I think pimp is just messing with you.

In any trade it's all what you get back, if Benning is unsure he may opt to take a safer path and move him for a prospect or vet he's more sure of. If he finishes this year still looking like a gamble is take the safe road myself.

Nah I was confused for a second.

We won't get anything back for Kassian that will make us better long term.

I don't think Kassian will ever be the top line player people hoped for, but as an option for the middle 6 RW, he's awesome. Kassian brings that physical style of play that intimidates opponents and forces turnovers from nasty hits. He'll be good for us, not great.

Yup, and that is absolutely fine BTW.

I like the summary by Brick: His toolbox will keep him employed for a long time at the NHL level.

But as others have intimated, there is still upswing. He is highly useful now just because he is a substantial match up problem. He plays position ally well, can protect the puck and make plays. The upswing?

My take on why it is that PF's take longer to develop is this. And its real BTW. It takes more energy to move a bigger body. Particularly with the explosive quickness and intensity you see in the NHL game. Its why great athletes have an advantage. See Ovechkin, Stamkos... So it also can take longer to train a bigger body first just to move at that explosive level. And then have the endurance after exerting those energy levels. Kassian is looking pretty good even now just playing at controlled levels.

Just every now and again we see what else Zack can do when he cranks it up! Its also simply hard for such a big guy to have the endurance to maintain this intensity. Yet there comes a time when all the training and nutrition comes together and guys finally just get it. And can perform at a new level.

Its not exclusive to big guys either. It took a long time for the Twins to train their bodies to be able to hold bigger guys off in their cycle game. It took Santorelli longer. Mathias looks like he has found a new gear this year!

One of these Canucks that will be 24 years of age next month has 28 NHL assists.

The other that was 23 years of age already registered 71 assists.

Both were third line Canucks at the same age . Can you name them both?

Your one clue is that one could pass like a Sedin and the other was touted to have hands like a Sedin.

Kassian is one no doubt.

Past Canuck I assume is the second. Brendon Morrison? CoHo?

Gunna make me dig you so & so... :frantic:

And what tools are those? He can hit, which is pretty much it now. I couldn't believe it when I looked it up but he has ZERO blocked shots. Either he can't position himself man to man or he doesn't have awareness to give help defence when needed.

He's a big guy who can skate, pass, shoot, and hit.

What's not to like from a purely phsical standpoint?

Obviously mentally he needs to mature on and off the ice and become more aware defensively and not take dumb penalties that he does on occasion.

Also he is not as physical as he used to be in junior. Tries to be too fancy at times needs to keep his game simple like Matthias grind it out on the boards and in the corners than dish off to his teammates and get in on the fore check and crunch some d.

Byfuglien

Although he has been used as a forward he's defenseman. Chicago primarily used him as a forward in his rookie season on their first and second lines (5th in ice time per game among forwards), not their third or fourth lines. After being traded to Atlanta he was put back into his natural defenseman position.

That's 0 for 2.

Kassian is intriguing. Some nights he looks like the best power forward in the league out there, others he looks just absolutely lost. I'd say he's developing alright, but needs a lot of work.

Cant argue with this, but hes still coming back in for Vey when hes back healthy. Horvat isnt going to juniors or getting taken out of the line up. Hes a perfect 4th line center right now.

Can anyone name a 6 foot 3 inch 220 pound player on the team that can pass similar to Henrik yet play the body like Bert? While never seeming to get more than 3rd or 4th line duties yet still managing a .35 ppg pace as a 23 year old player?

Can anyone name that player?

No, no they cannot. I will not say where Kassian will trend, but I will say he's a type of player most teams would arguably demand in their line up and he'll develop just fine. Wait until he's closer to 28 and finally getting solid PP time and 2nd line duties.

Go from there.

Please don't mention Kassian in the same breath as Henrik. Get real, Kassian just doesn't have the energy or mental ability to go 10 mins never mind 20 mins of consistent effort.

You don't get it do you, there is hardly a poster on here who does not want to see Kassian wake up and play whole 15 minute games like ANY of the top six.

We are ALL longing for it and now some, like me, are are beginning to wonder if it is just not there and never will be.

He is NOT a power forward and therefore using the excuse of age is just ridiculous. He is playing with one of the most accomplished, skilful, elite teams in the league (excluding Tortoralla's attempt to murder them last season) and he is not learning. He is having a f-----g laugh at our expense.

So 5 more years of our current zack? :(

Yes, because as we all know, players stay exactly the same for 5 years at least.

Please don't mention Kassian in the same breath as Henrik. Get real, Kassian just doesn't have the energy or mental ability to go 10 mins never mind 20 mins of consistent effort.

You don't get it do you, there is hardly a poster on here who does not want to see Kassian wake up and play whole 15 minute games like ANY of the top six.

We are ALL longing for it and now some, like me, are are beginning to wonder if it is just not there and never will be.

He is NOT a power forward and therefore using the excuse of age is just ridiculous. He is playing with one of the most accomplished, skilful, elite teams in the league (excluding Tortoralla's attempt to murder them last season) and he is not learning. He is having a f-----g laugh at our expense.

"Not learning" is a stupid assumption. Non-haters seem to see a progression in his game.

The age reason is not ridiculous. He is getting better no matter how much his haters whine. Plus injuries have the effect of hampering a persons game. Let's ignore that too. Let's just make up crap to justify our stance on Kassian.

He's coming along just fine. People who don't project expectations onto him can see that. Haters will stay blind and continue to hate regardless of what he does. They just bide their time until he falters.(like all players do)

Yes, because as we all know, players stay exactly the same for 5 years at least.

"Not learning" is a stupid assumption. Non-haters seem to see a progression in his game.

The age reason is not ridiculous. He is getting better no matter how much his haters whine. Plus injuries have the effect of hampering a persons game. Let's ignore that too. Let's just make up crap to justify our stance on Kassian.

He's coming along just fine. People who don't project expectations onto him can see that. Haters will stay blind and continue to hate regardless of what he does. They just bide their time until he falters.(like all players do)

Yeah, there really isn't a question whether he is better or the same as when he first was traded. He has improved since the first season with us. People can complain that he hasn't improved to the degree that they wanted, but they can't say he hasn't and will not improve.

As long as he is improving I'm fine. A player who never stops improving never stops becoming more useful.

If Zack doesn't pick up his game as this year progresses, he's going to eventually find himself the odd man out next year. No pun intended. lol

A power forward with an 8% scoring percentage isn't doing himself any favours. He turns 24 in two weeks. Power forwards on average develop slower than most other positions, but that excuse will be old by the time he turns 25 January of next year.

The young guns that will be coming up next year are going to be gunning for Zack's job. I love the guy, but he needs to get that tail of his in gear.

Archived