The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL approves Vegas ticket drive

Mackcanuck

Even if they manage to get asses in seats, I would imagine merchandise sales would be low. How many people attending games would be fans of the team vs. tourists/Canadians looking for some cheap entertainment? Or would tourists even show up to games considering the wide variety of other entertainment options in Vegas? Would both players on the team and visiting players be able to hold it together with all the partying going on in the city? Would there be problems with match fixing etc.?

Not to mention the whole vibe of hockey in Vegas...seems kind of cheesy and gimmicky to me.

Vegas is a shift work town. Basically at any given time 1/3 of the population is asleep, 1/3 is working, and 1/3 is doing everyday things.

When the Las Vegas Wranglers were playing in Vegas it had the following average attendance.

08-09 4,621

09-10 4,350

10-11 3,940 (Victoria had 3,717)

11-12 4,339

12-13 4,561

13-14 4,581

The Orleans Arena had a capacity of 7731. So a little better than half full.

I'd rather see a second team in Toronto, or a team in Seattle before Vegas.

Why would the league expand when multiple teams can't even make a profit? And why Las Vegas? Just move teams like Florida and Arizona to places where hockey is in demand like Quebec and Seattle

Nope. That would be too logical.

If Las Vegas gets a franchise before Quebec or Seattle it would be a travesty.

Its very easy to assume it would come with a new team in Quebec City. The league approved a standings format last year that was clearly designed for a 32 team league. It really revealed that expansion was inevitable.

This is coming from the owners. Moving teams doesn't generate 13+million in revenue per team. They also aren't willing to risk hamilton/buffalo just yet. Quebec or Seattle won't pull 400M.

If you really want to know why Vegas, think old mans club.

So.....business senility?

Its very easy to assume it would come with a new team in Quebec City. The league approved a standings format last year that was clearly designed for a 32 team league. It really revealed that expansion was inevitable.

Doesn't mean it should have been Vegas. There's a reason the NFL and the NBA, which are MUCH more popular in the U.S. than the NHL haven't gone that route.

Ugh this league is so stupid.

You have more than one team failing to make any sort of money and yet you decide to add another team to the league? In pretty much the same climate as the failing teams??

Dat logic

do you think if subway had one franchise failing to turn a profit somewhere in vancouver that they'd refuse to sell a new franchise elsewhere in the city?

individual team profits are irrelevant when the league as a whole is making more profit than they ever have before and they have a revenue sharing model in place.

I'm not sold on NHL Vegas but I'm not familiar enough with that market to give a legitimate opinion. I would prefer to see franchises

in Quebec and Seattle (in that order) before rolling the dice on another sunbelt team. I have no stats to support this but it seems the only real southern team success story has been Dallas. I was not thrilled when hearing about the North Stars relocating, I was certain that it would fail but I have been very surprised by the Stars fanbase. Not sure if it was a combination of ownership, marketing, star power (Modano), other or a mixed bag of all. I suppose I should also give some props to Tampa.

I'm not sold on NHL Vegas but I'm not familiar enough with that market to give a legitimate opinion. I would prefer to see franchises

in Quebec and Seattle (in that order) before rolling the dice on another sunbelt team. I have no stats to support this but it seems the only real southern team success story has been Dallas. I was not thrilled when hearing about the North Stars relocating, I was certain that it would fail but I have been very surprised by the Stars fanbase. Not sure if it was a combination of ownership, marketing, star power (Modano), other or a mixed bag of all. I suppose I should also give some props to Tampa.

The Modano years have been the exception with the Stars. Over the past 5 years, they've had ownership problems, and have drawn flies. Not exactly an endorsement for sunbelt expansion.

Speculation that the NHL will one day expand into Las Vegas was kicked into overdrive Monday, as commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed that the leagues Board of Governors has permitted prospective owner Bill Foley to conduct a season-ticket drive in order to gauge interest in the market.

Foley, along with the Maloof family, was reported as the leagues chosen ownership group by the New York Post last month. That report coincided with news that NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly toured the construction site of MGMs $350 million, 20,000-seat arena; the Post also reported the proposed Vegas franchise fee was $400 million.

lebrun_twitter_49669_normal.jpgPierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrunFollow

Bettman says potential Vegas owner Bill Foley has been given the green light to generate season-ticket drive to see what interest there is

0O2LgOpC_normal.jpegNick Cotsonika@cotsonikaFollow

Bettman: If a season-ticket drive goes well in Vegas, NHL would have to determine next step. This is only to measure interest in market.

Peterborough-Edit_normal.jpgChris Johnston@reporterchrisFollow

Gary Bettman stressed that a formal NHL expansion process hasn't been opened, but they want to know if the market will support a team.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/08/viva-nhl-approves-proposed-vegas-owner-to-begin-ticket-drive/

What a colossal mistake that would be for the NHL. There's a reason no other league has put a team in Las Vegas.

The Modano years have been the exception with the Stars. Over the past 5 years, they've had ownership problems, and have drawn flies. Not exactly an endorsement for sunbelt expansion.

so the 16 years with modano are the exception and the 4+ years since are the actual indicator?

Archived