The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Article On Tanev!

nuck luck

Funny.

They did not look great together before this year. I could never figure out why?

I've never really seen Edler and Tanev together prior to this season. At least not for a long period of time.

Last season Tanev played with Hamhuis and they were great together.

He's never going to put up big offensive points and we're lucky he won't or he'd command upwards of 5M.

Tanev deserves something like 4 years at 4M per year. With the cap going up even more next year, you really can't compare Bieksa and Hamhuis' 4+M to 4M that Tanev would earn (if anything he should get 5M to fit with the percentage of the team's cap) but he'll get around 4M.

I've never really seen Edler and Tanev together prior to this season. At least not for a long period of time.

Last season Tanev played with Hamhuis and they were great together.

tanev and hamhuis last year were great but that left us with little depth. that was a stacked first unit, then you had the nightmare of bieksa/edler, edler/weber what have you, tanev was paired with edler to share a heavy workload towards the end and they showed some signs and edler's game started to improve

i think torts alternated edler and tanev and bieksa on that first unit with hammer for most of the season, but in those big games, he usually had tanev/hamuis, then we'd just get smoked with no real depth on defence. only went so far with stanton's decent play and weber kinda hangin around there

I have always liked Tanev and always felt his progression as a player has been missed by a lot of people. Most Canuck fans know exactly how good he his and he is only 24. A "bridge" type contract of 3-4 years at 3-4.25 million leading into his prime years would be perfect.

He is the most reliable defensemen we have along with Hamhuis.

I would be very comfortable closing out a game with Hamhuis and Tanev as D partners. He needs to be re-signed and if he doesn't the Canucks will have made a massive mistake.

tanev and hamhuis last year were great but that left us with little depth. that was a stacked first unit, then you had the nightmare of bieksa/edler, edler/weber what have you, tanev was paired with edler to share a heavy workload towards the end and they showed some signs and edler's game started to improve

i think torts alternated edler and tanev and bieksa on that first unit with hammer for most of the season, but in those big games, he usually had tanev/hamuis, then we'd just get smoked with no real depth on defence. only went so far with stanton's decent play and weber kinda hangin around there

I never said I wanted to split them up. I just don't think they were together at all last season. Tanev was a + player with Hammer and Edler well.. you know wasn't.

They complement each other well. They both bring aspects that make it a great pairing that you can use in all situations.

I never said I wanted to split them up. I just don't think they were together at all last season. Tanev was a + player with Hammer and Edler well.. you know wasn't.

They complement each other well. They both bring aspects that make it a great pairing that you can use in all situations.

tanev was paired with edler to share a heavy workload towards the end and they showed some signs and edler's game started to improve

Okay then. Tanev spent the majority of the season with Hammer. During that season he spent a very minor duration with Edler?

Very minor amount compared to the time with Hammer.

it was best that tanev be paird with edler. tanev can cover edler's weaknesses, but eds is a reliable d-man when looking at heavy minutes-- he just needed a partner to maximize his worth, which tanev has done quite well

pairing tanev with hamhuis was the team putting their eggs all in one basket. it would work well against stacked one-line teams, but against teams with balanced scoring, torts had to spread them out for depth. whoever was paired with tanev was made the better man, whether it be bieksa or edler, and that bottom pairing with stanton was reliable

it was best that tanev be paird with edler. tanev can cover edler's weaknesses, but eds is a reliable d-man when looking at heavy minutes-- he just needed a partner to maximize his worth, which tanev has done quite well

pairing tanev with hamhuis was the team putting their eggs all in one basket. it would work well against stacked one-line teams, but against teams with balanced scoring, torts had to spread them out for depth. whoever was paired with tanev was made the better man, whether it be bieksa or edler, and that bottom pairing with stanton was reliable

Dude I never said I wanted to split Edler and Tanev. I was just pointing out to Csurf that they barely played together last season.

I honestly don't know what your going on about.

Finally! I've been praising Tanev for ages. I can't believe people honestly thought he was destined to be a career bottom pairing D

Of course he's not the next coming of Weber, Keith, Doughty et al....

But he's still a darn good defenceman. He does everything you want defensively, just doesn't put huge points up or play physically.

He's a more cerebal, less physical Hjalmarsson??

3.75 on a bridge tupe deal, Tanev is a great cerebral d-man. The only thing holding him back is his lack of physicality and his shot, he double clutches and telegraphs his slapper to much. He also takes a ton of hits and so far he's been able to roll off most of them. In the playoffs he will have the number 1 taget on his back by the rats.

Archived