The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Methot on the move?

timberz21

I was reading a french Ottawa newspaper "Le Droit" at lunch today, and there was an article on mystery surrounding Methot. After being injured for the first part of the season, he played 2 games on Dec 4th and 6th before being sidelined again.

Murray was saying at the GM meeting that he would have to find a way to play through some pain. Methot also declared before the game against LA that if given a chance, he would be able to play against the Kings to help in Cameron's debut. However later on, Methot retracted his statement and said that he would need to reevaluate his conditions and get to nod from the doctors. Before the game Cameron announced that he wouldn't be playing after the staff convinced MEthot that he wasn't ready or it wasn't in his best interest.

At the end of the articles, they say that 6 teams sent scouts to that games, including the Canucks. The other were Dallas, Edmonton, Colorado and I forget the other 2.

Methot would be a good short/mid-term replacement for Hamhuis, but I wouldn't pay too much for him, specially with the uncertainty regarding his injury.

No thanks for Method he's looking for 5m+ for his next contract, I could see Dallas or EDM trying to bolster their horrid blueline up.

While Edmonton should be looking at doing whatever they can to improve their blueline now, the sad fact is that the powers that be would rather tank the rest of the season, get either McDavid or Eichal at the draft, then add a defenseman at free agency.

However, the flaw in this "plan" is that one of two things will inevitably happen:

1. They risk not signing a free agent defenseman, as there are 29 other teams to choose from.

or

2. They will vastly overpay (known to happen in free agency in general) for a defenseman that may not end up producing for them. See Ference, and to a degree (rights were traded), Nikitin.

While Edmonton should be looking at doing whatever they can to improve their blueline now, the sad fact is that the powers that be would rather tank the rest of the season, get either McDavid or Eichal at the draft, then add a defenseman at free agency.

However, the flaw in this "plan" is that one of two things will inevitably happen:

1. They risk not signing a free agent defenseman, as there are 29 other teams to choose from.

or

2. They will vastly overpay (known to happen in free agency in general) for a defenseman that may not end up producing for them. See Ference, and to a degree (rights were traded), Nikitin.

I wonder how many 1st overalls they're going to need in order to pull themselves out of the slumps they've had over these years...

I wonder how many 1st overalls they're going to need in order to pull themselves out of the slumps they've had over these years...

Too many .. by the time they mature, these past years 'crop' of #1's will have moved on in all probably .. Nuge and Hall and Eberle will all have greener pastures elsewhere if they go for UFA

Could see the Canucks packaging Methot (would definitely boost the Top 4 whether Hamhuis returns or not; Sbisa is just not Top 4 quality or ready for it) Greening and maybe one of their youngsters on offence....

Mehot, Greening & Zibanejad for McNally, Sestito, Jensen and a late pick?

To ott: petry

To edm: methot

They would defs give him 5m

The problem is that Nikitin is currently getting $4.5M. So while Methot is worth $5M on the open market, he would (rightfully so) ask the Oilers for somewhere between $5.5M-$6M. Playing on a team like that in front of a fan base that has every reason to boo them based on performance, would demand at least another $500k, just to put up with the crap.

Could see the Canucks packaging Methot (would definitely boost the Top 4 whether Hamhuis returns or not; Sbisa is just not Top 4 quality or ready for it) Greening and maybe one of their youngsters on offence....

Mehot, Greening & Zibanejad for McNally, Sestito, Jensen and a late pick?

Sorry but that alone for the package you offered would get J.B.'s number on Murray's "don't-pick-up" list.

RE: OP, not interested if he'll in fact be looking for $5 M. We won't have a permanent spot for him in the top-4 once Hammer's back, unless we move someone. This team just needs more depth and we still haven't given the youth a shot.

Had they landed Ekblad it might be a different story?

Florida is a decent shot, currently only 2 points out, to make the play-off's this year.

Had they landed Ekblad it might be a different story?

Florida is a decent shot, currently only 2 points out, to make the play-off's this year.

All because of hmm... let me guess...

Luongo. As a Panthers fan, I'd love to have Methot on our backend. However I don't want us to over pay to keep him from heading to FA.

Even over the trade for Luongo again trade??

The Luongo 2.0 trade is worse simply because the idea behind it is so ridiculous that it dropped the collective IQ of CDC just by reading it. At least this trade includes a player Ottawa might want to get rid of and that we could reasonably be expected to be interested in. Even though the trade is laughable in every other respect.

Archived