The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Rangers @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

This team had me believing after the Pittsburgh game and since then they've fallen off a cliff. I was worried since the beginning of the season of what would happen when our scoring dried up, and now we're seeing the results of that, 4 straight losses with 7 goals for and 16 against.

In my opinion, the trouble with our Canucks playing a run-and-gun style of hockey is that they simply dont have a high enough calibre of players on the team. We dont have good enough shooters for that and now our average defence and goaltending are being exposed and most of our losses are by wide margins. Somehow we need to get a game-breaker in the top 6, a puck moving defenceman, and Hamhuis back from injury to be the stay-at-home guy. Without these pieces I think the Canucks might just be a paper tiger at best.

and again the current defense with any goalie in net won't win a round i am not saying Miller isn't the reason this team loses but for people to completely pin it on him is asinine

just a funny feeling i got people seem to rag on him because they wanted Lack to be number 1 this year and are just mad that Benning went out and signed Miller

freak man that's a great ng 6 million goalie, he is on a downfall, but still signed him. Again Miller is a 6 m goalie he should not just be another goalie. On the second goal he broke and took the risk, Weber was there to take out the other guy. He is playing like its 70s, he so far from the net on those breakaways and its how zu arello scored his freaking 2 goals but then let the guy just skate through the crease and not pokecheck him.you can't just freaking say that its because we want lack,but our number one goalie is an ahler

Too slow. Matthias Richardson Kassian had success because they are fast, and big. Hansen on 1st line was there to retrieve pucks to establish the cycle, it didn't work anyway. Maybe Biega is fast skater, faster than Santiguetii, that's why they called him up. Last 2 games the lack of speed has been exposed, but those were 2 best teams in the East last playoffs. AV's team jumped out in front, and cruised the rest of the game, like the Canucks of years under him.

Kind of frustrating really, the Canucks, have had really good games this year, even the Toronto game they were flying.

Meh, even Willie predicted this.

You get a bunch of millionaires that come back from a long road trip and want to see their friends and family especially during the holiday season. The guys played horrible. Lacked focus and deserved the loss.

Need to bounce back big time.

I agree 100% with Defcon1.....the problem is and has been our old, slow D core. Miller may not be the top Goalie, however no goalie what-so-ever can withstand not only protecting from the opposition but the ineptitude of that rotten D-core. I've been preaching for years on CDC that we have invested too much money in terrible long term NTC contracts with lazy, inconsistent, old, out-of-gas, parasitic d-men like Bieksa and Hamuseless. Even though both these players are super individuals with great personalities we must remember that their primary task is to defend not win personality contest and they ranked (along with Sbisa) as the 201st, 207th and 233rd worst defensemen (out of 259) in the entire league after last nights defensive fiasco.

Facts are facts and this team WILL NEVER succeed until this cancer has been dissected. This defensive deficiency has existed for far too long and is at the root of this teams failure - not the offensive or Goalie situation. Case closed - I rest my case!

We got killed on a risky pinching defense and it was the Rangers game plan all along!

AV schooled WD

"They’ve had real good success pinching and our coaches did a good job of getting a pre-scout and it just comes down to that execution and we did a real good job of executing coming out of our own zone.”

— Derek Stepan

Were you surprised by all the pinching, King Lundqvist?

“We talked about them pinching. I didn’t think they were going to go that hard every time.

“It was almost like a 50-50 puck they were going for it and we made them pay, especially in the first period.”

McDonagh: “We pre-scouted, and our coaches talked about that a lot.

“It was going to be a big job for our wingers to either hold onto pucks or not get it back to them or get it out of the zone. We were able to do that right away in the first period and we got some good looks because of it.

“We understood the opportunities we were going to have if we were able to make that play on the wall so it was just about bearing down.”

You get a bunch of millionaires that come back from a long road trip and want to see their friends and family especially during the holiday season. The guys played horrible. Lacked focus and deserved the loss.

Just showing how "elite" they are huh apollo

Maybe I am the only one when it comes to suggesting this, but I think Rick Nash losing an edge was accidentally-on-purpose. Miller gets rattled easily, but it's on a game by game basis. I know as soon as he went down, that it was over. Good coaching game plan by AV, but come on. How doesn't Rick Nash know that there isn't enough room for his big frame and a goalie behind any net?! Either he's stupid, or the plan was to rattle Miller a little bit to jump out to a lead.

^^The definition of "elite".

This scenario has been playing out since the SCF run. The year after, the team had a "statement game" against Boston where they played hard and won...afterwards, they were finished for the season.

Next year it was the "moral victory game" against LA after which they were never a factor. This year it was the Pittsburgh game where they were going up against a top team and they played the best game of the last couple years....afterwards - nothing.

Same core, same results. 2011 was the anomaly, where everything clicked. Since then, this team has been shown to simply be not that good. The Pittsburgh game was not indicative of what this team is. Their goal stats and goal differential the real story.

I struggle to believe this team is capable of doing any damage in the playoffs with the current core of Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins and the increasingly shut down twins and a goalie who continues the slide that St Louis was aware of when they ret him go.

I will always watch and hope but my belief is that until this team integrates a new crop of young talent and some of the current core take a back-seat/supporting role, the Nucks will be middle of the pack at best which is where they have been for the past 3 years.

DIBdaQUIB - I second that! You hit the nail on the head and your quoted game results of the past are precise! I suspect that JB knows they have to burn through those terrible MG contracts this year and perhaps next, until they can make significant changes. Unfortunately, they may not have the luxury of time on their side as fans have tuned the team out and last night was an example when the Arena was half empty after the 2nd when fans got fed-up with four Bieksa caused goals and no sign of benching him. Simply unheard of in the past 10 years and a warning sign to Management that fans have become impatient. As such, Aqualini may have to fess up another large sum of $'s to unload the three biggest anchors on the team (Burrows, Bieksa and Hamuseless) or risk loosing even more season ticket holders and merchandise revenue. Too bad we can't back-bill Mike Gillis for his unthinkable acts!

Uber optimist above me there eh?

This was not just a case of the Canucks running into a hot goaltender or us getting unlucky. This was a bad game from start to finish. Awful defensively, no speed, and just being outplayed in every facet of the game. Time to regroup very quickly or else this season will mimic last season very closely

Same core, did you expect very different results this year? Go down the list: the Sedins, Burrows, Higgins,Hansen,Bieksa, Edler... So we replace Kesler with Bonino and we switch around a few of the bottom 6, that is supposed to make a totally different team?

Just showing how "elite" they are huh apollo

Dude you don't watch enough hockey to have a valid opinion. If you watched the King's or hawks play any year they won a cup you see off nights under certain circumstances.

The canucks are elite. You obviously don't realize that athletes miss their friends and families after a while and they come back, have a few drinks, lose focus... Its an 82 game season.

If they don't finish 82 0 you won't call them elite. You're a pessimist anyways.

Dude you don't watch enough hockey to have a valid opinion. If you watched the King's or hawks play any year they won a cup you see off nights under certain circumstances.

The canucks are elite. You obviously don't realize that athletes miss their friends and families after a while and they come back, have a few drinks, lose focus... Its an 82 game season.

If they don't finish 82 0 you won't call them elite. You're a pessimist anyways.

Now that is seeing the glass half full. The Canucks are an elite team that has a few bad nights. And, of cource, a few bad seasons, like the last couple of seasons. But elite none the less. Just the same as Edmonton has elite players. How many years out of the playoffs will it take before the the team that made it to the SCF almost 4 years ago lose its 'elite' status?

Archived