The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please No more gimmicks to the All Star Game

smokes

Nailed It.

If they want to actually make the best game possible then go East vs West and give the winners home ice for final. Just alter the rules so there is no hitting so players don't get hurt.

I've never really liked that format in baseball, the Stanley Cup is for the best team that wins the Cup, period. Not a fan of detracting from the integrity of hockey's greatest prize for the sole purpose of having a more entertaining all-star game.

Also, banning hitting from the all-star game far from guarantees that no one will get hurt.

In the old days, the all-star game had a different meaning.

Back when we got 10 Canuck games on TV and a handful of leaf/canadien games.

The all-star game was the only time you saw many of the superstars.

Now we can see any game we want, with highlights of every single game

I've never really liked that format in baseball, the Stanley Cup is for the best team that wins the Cup, period. Not a fan of detracting from the integrity of hockey's greatest prize for the sole purpose of having a more entertaining all-star game.

Also, banning hitting from the all-star game far from guarantees that no one will get hurt.

Bieksa with his shot blocking broken hand would wave hello at your last statement but he can't.

Its more for the players to relieve some stress, rest and have a good time than have an actual game. Its all in good fun.

I would love it to go back to East vs West. Maybe have it after the SCF and have it so the winner is crowned the better conference. Would actually make it worth something and the players would compete.

Its garbage.

They ought to get rid of the whole thing, or at least make it an optional event for the players. Id much rather they play it at a time when it doesnt rudely interrupt the regular season

It meant a lot more when it was considered an honor to be named to the team and the players actually cared about being there. It was even a watchable and entertaining event at one point, crazy as that may sound.

Nowadays if the players choose to skip, they get suspended. That never used to happen. Everyone named to the team actually chose to go. It really shows how much things have deteriorated.

Now its a joke. Its ironic how being considered one of the best goalies in the league means your reward is to get completely ventilated and humiliated.

It would make more sense if it was a goalie's punishment for being terrible really :lol:

The ASG is for kids.

Hating on it is like wondering why you don't enjoy playing with toys. Its not meant for you.

Exactly.

But..

It could be changed to actually mean something. East vs West with home ice in the first game in the Final going to the winning conference has been bandied about. But IMO its still not enough to play for as most players don't think that far ahead, and as we've seen in the playoffs, sometimes home ice isn't an advantage cough2011cough.

Another suggesttion is combine the winter classic with the all-star game. I like this already. But then how about awarding real points? Two ways this could be done.

Pick the teams either by school yard method, or East vs West, it wouldn't matter. Then whoever wins the game, the players on those teams have a lottery draw. Winning player's team gets an extra single point on the season, maybe even two. Could be valuable down the road. I guess you'd have to have a rule that if there are two players on the one team, they can only draw one ticket.

Or the two top teams going into the break play in the Winter Classic, instead of an All Star game. (Chances are the two top teams would have a lot of stars on them anyways). Also the top teams playing at their peak, as a team, would be more fun to watch. In that game, any points earned whether 2 or 3 would be awarded as extra points to those teams seasons. That would spice up the play just before mid season, instead of most teams only really gearing up in the second half.

Having a hard time understanding all the complaining. Didn't the fans vote for the players they wanted to see? THAT'S who was there!!! My problem is the league insisting all 30 clubs are represented. Really, did anyone from Edmonton NEED to be there? And, why the league/fans dropped a brick on their own foot by omitting a personality and skill-set the likes of P.K. Subban I'll never know. He's one of the select few who could actually get people to enjoy the game! He'd at least have made an effort.

Maybe holding All Star Weekend in non-NHL cities (but, not necessarily non-NHL markets) is the short term solution. Why not let Las Vegas or Quebec City have a turn at hosting this event?

Absolutely brutal! I turned it off after 10 minutes. Worse than a laugher. 2 D-men standing still while 3 forwards stood in front of the tender taking shots. What a joke.

For those who say just don't watch ...

Boudrais has at least 10 minutes more time watching NHL all star games than I have this millennium.

Archived