The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nucks in on Evander Kane, JB: "would be interested, for sure"

TheRussianRocket.

354 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/09/benning-canucks-would-be-interested-for-sure-in-evander-kane-audio/

Count Vancouver in among the Evander Kane suitors.

During intermission of a WHL Vancouver broadcast on TEAM 1410, Canucks GM Jim Benning said that his club would be interested in acquiring Kane, the controversial Jets forward thats currently sidelined 4-6 months following shoulder surgery.

Transcript of the interview:

Heres the full audio of the interview (Kane material is at the very end.)

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/canucks-gm-jim-benning-with-brook-ward-1.203800

Two quick takeaways:

1) There may be accusations of tampering. The NHL is pretty stringent when it comes to talking about players on other teams; in 2009, Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson was found guilty of tampering and fined an undisclosed amount after he expressed interest in Vancouver forwards Henrik and Daniel Sedin before they reached free agency.

That said, the Kane situation deals with a player currently under contract, which may not constitute tampering. Around the same time as the Sedin incident of 09, the Canucks also filed a separate charge after then-Leafs GM Brian Burke appeared on television and discussed a rumored Vancouver-Tampa Bay trade.

NHL deputy commissioner called Burkes actions unfortunate and inappropriate, but explained they didnt constitute tampering under league rules.

2) This is the strongest confirmation that the Canucks want to bring Kane back to Vancouver. Many have thought the 23-year-olds long pined for a return to his hometown; he was born and raised in the city and played his junior hockey for the Giants, helping the team capture the 2007 Memorial Cup.

In an post earlier today on TSN, Bob McKenzie wrote that Vancouver would be at the top of the list of teams interested in acquiring Kane:

Well there it is folks. I'm sure there will be mixed feelings about this. Think it's quite obvious JB will not part ways with Bo and Virtanen no matter what for a deal involving Kane. McCann is in the middle but I personally wouldn't trade him. Prospect(s) I'd be willing to give are Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk in that order.

When you look past the fog, the fact of the matter is Kane is very young at 23, is causing more harm than good to his current team, value is at an all-time low, but is a very good hockey player. He's been on a steady decline for quite some time now but with a change of scenery can turn things around. He's currently the Jets 3rd line LW, can see how far he has fallen there. His cap hit ($5.250M) is pricy but not too ridiculous. And take into account he only has 2 years remaning on it after this season, it's manageable.

Kane is out for the year with a shoulder injury and he can be traded. It's just that teams don't usually do that b/c they don't get immediate help in return but this scenario is intriguing. You have a previously proven top 6 scoring winger, great PK player, young, and dynamic. His attitude is not wanted on the Jets, he's on the LTIR, Jets are in the hunt for the playoffs, and trading for him now would be beneficial for Winnipeg as they'd get relief and a replacement. If not now, in the offseason, there would be naturally be more interest in Kane as teams will free up cap and it's be hard then plus his value would increase.

Damaged goods, but good he is. I usually hate players like Kane that have a crappy attitude but we could really use him and if he gets his act together, could really make the best out of this situation Winnipeg is in. Benning loves buying low-selling high and this would be the perfect opportunity. Cap would have to be shed in this deal for us and Higgins would easily be a player that could be in play. Would look beautiful on that Jets roster, a prospect for them, + maybe a pick. I'd do it. There would be no reason Winnipeg wouldn't, they'd be happy to get rid of Evander and move on.

A top 6 of: Sedin-Burrows, Kane-Bonino-Vrbata, that would be one of the best in the league. If I'm JB, I'm doing all I can to make this deal happen regarding what pieces we can and cannot give up.

Kane is 23, he's been playing on the 3rd line and he's having problems in Winnipeg. So did Seguin and even Patrick Kane was considered as a guy who has character issues, he will mature. He'll wake up just like Seguin and Patrick Kane, I can't think of a "cancer" in the NHL today. His value is lower than it should be.

I'd give up McCann+ for him, I'd do McCann + Hansen + 4th round pick for him. They get a projected top 6 C along with a 3rd line winger which needs to replace Kane's spot.

Kane would be our 3rd best forward, sometimes he'd be our best forward. Horvat and Kane together on a line together either next season or in the near future would be sweet, big bodies who are hard to knock off the puck, maybe Kassian would flourish with guys like that. This guy is what we lack, he'll be playing infront of family and I'm sure he'll be pumped up to play in his hometown. You can let him know that if he isn't acting properly then we can ship him out of his hometown and does anybody think Kane wants to leave his hometown if he doesn't mature?

We have great leadership here aswell, under guys like the Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis. All he has to do is watch and learn how to be mature, I don't think the leadership in Winnipeg is that high because their coach is banging on the boards, Byfuglien and Wheeler are still young themselves. Ladd is a good captain but I don't think the supporting cast is there for him and I doubt Kane wants to be in that snowy place.

Sedins-Burrows

Kane-Horvat-Kassian

Vey-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Richardson/Gaunce-Dorsett

2015-16: That looks pretty sweet, in a matter of another 1-2 years we can hopefully add Shinkaruk, Cassels, Virtanen hopefully along with a 1st rounder in 2015 whoever we select. We can also replace McCann with a 2015 1st rounder (or a better prospect in a deeper draft).

Archived