The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Stanton!?

BlackRedYellow

Isn't it time to find another D-man to try out? Stanton has now lost of 5 games single handed by really bad defensive plays in the third period.

If it's not a really bad penalty (at the worst moment of the game) it's a really bad cover of his offensive player.

I'm tired of losing cause this guy can't just do the simple things when it's going get tough! :sadno:

I know we have a lot injuries (D.men) right now, but there's got to be some prospect or veteran in Utica we should be able to try.

our last five losses are all on Stanton?? LOL.

Ridiculous. Stanton is one of our most steady defensemen.

I respectfully disagree. Pinning the last five losses on Stanton is simply stupid as you said, but I don't think he is a stable defender unless you are happy with someone who is just happy to get the puck out. He's a decent 7th defender at best because he doesn't have the abilities to make plays once the opposition gets their forechecking going. Whenever he has the puck, a little bit of pressure is all you need to have him either throw the puck out to no where or gives it away for a scoring chance. Sure, he gets puck out more often than giving the puck away but basically he is unable to move the puck forward; which must really suck for a forwards on the ice with him.

Now I'm not saying that we're smarter than the coaches and management, but this year is really making me wonder how inept can an organization really be? Scratching Kassian, playing Lack once every two months, trading Forsling away (i know why we did it, but still), playing favourites and older players over people who deserve it more (Higgins/Vey over Kassian/Matthias). The list goes on. And don't get me started on our character-over-talent method of drafting.

And thinking Stanton is anything more than a depth defender is right there in the middle. He's just bad at, you know, defending.

Anyone know how old Stanton is? I just fear we would give up on him before he develops. He has all the tools to be solid back there and defencemen don't realy mature until late 20's... His stick swinging tonight on Bouma was pretty funny looking, but that goal was not his fault. He was in position, the rest of the team was puck watching and no forward picked him up coming into the slot...

Now I'm not saying that we're smarter than the coaches and management, but this year is really making me wonder how inept can an organization really be? Scratching Kassian, playing Lack once every two months, trading Forsling away (i know why we did it, but still), playing favourites and older players over people who deserve it more (Higgins/Vey over Kassian/Matthias). The list goes on. And don't get me started on our character-over-talent method of drafting.

And thinking Stanton is anything more than a depth defender is right there in the middle. He's just bad at, you know, defending.

LOL.... please just stop forcing your opinions on the world and keep it to yourself.

Anyone know how old Stanton is? I just fear we would give up on him before he develops. He has all the tools to be solid back there and defencemen don't realy mature until late 20's... His stick swinging tonight on Bouma was pretty funny looking, but that goal was not his fault. He was in position, the rest of the team was puck watching and no forward picked him up coming into the slot...

He is 25, turning 26 in July.

LOL.... please just stop forcing your opinions on the world and keep it to yourself.

Uh, it's a message board bro. Agree or not, that's the whole point of coming here. If no one was allowed to express their opinions it would be pretty dead or one sided in here.

The last goal was his 100%. That player (and area) is that defenceman's. Stanton lost grip of his stick, but in stead of trying to get a hold of it, he should have located the danger first. He could have easily interfered with his body. To just stand there looking like a goof (and getting in the way for Miller's sight) was just plain stupidity! (And it cost us the game!)

I'm not saying we should give up on him for ever, but he's shown this season that he hasn't got what it takes, right now. (And he never would have played if any of Bieksa or Corrado would be fine!)

I for one is tired of loosing games due to bad decisions by mr Stanton. I've watched all games this season, and he just isn't good enough! (Yet!)

There must be someone else we could give a chance!? (And let Stanton get more ice time in Utica.)

Stanton missed his check and the other team scored.

Has that never happened to any decent defenseman before?

I'm tired of all the Stanton haters, he IS one of our steadiest D-men. Him and Clendening have been a good 3rd pair so far.

With Edler injured, he played more. He didn't have a good game, but that's just one game, and I can't even recall which game was his previous bad one. He is consistent.

as of this moment:

Left D:

Edler

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Stanton

Right D:

Tanev (?)

Bieksa

Corrado

Clendenning

Weber

Sanguinetti

something something... deal with it

playoff chances this season always hung on two things - can the supporting cast score, and can the one-dimensional D-corps navigate the Western gauntlet?

looks like the home stretch will have some answers - buckle up!

Archived