The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(DISCUSSION) Lindens greatest move so far

Scorvat

I still ask myself, where would this team be if we had landed Gretzky?

I never knew about that until about 3 weeks ago. I read into it and from what i see we wouldnt of gotten the sedins or most of our core. However we would have been a bottom feeder around the time crosby/ovechkin were available to draft. Could you imagine if we finished last and snagged one of these guys?

Trevor Linden likes to hire guys who say "Pretty Good" and "Real Good" to describe everything and also "You know (like)", and he has done that perfectly so far.

I cant think of a better president, gm, or coach to have on this team. This is the managment we ARE going to win the cup with. I just know it. 100% we win the cup within the next 5 years. Id bet $1M if i had it

I still ask myself, where would this team be if we had landed Gretzky?

That was my fav part of reading Gretzky's biography.

As for the question how good would Van have been. Pretty awesome. But it would have been a crappier league.

Gretzky going to California was the best thing for hockey. If he stayed in Canada, the leagues growth would have been low.

If he went to and East coast team the exposure would have been limited.

The celebrity exposure in Cali gave the league some huge legitimacy.

It is now one of the most powerful sports organizations, which makes me happy for the state of hockey....with the exception of who's running it.

Trevor Linden likes to hire guys who say "Pretty Good" and "Real Good" to describe everything and also "You know (like)", and he has done that perfectly so far.

You deserve to get rewarded for this real good observation as it requires going into the tough areas. So, you know what, I am going click on the arrow to give you a (greasy) reputation point.

Hiring Jim Benning.

I'm with you. Man I like to hear actual answers and sentences that aren't political talking points. We fans have a decent idea of where this team is at, injury and trade wise, and as a result it re-engaged me following last year. And while I liked certain MG things, like getting a revamped schedule, spending on player health, sleep, figuring out that there is no salary cap for having top notch facilities doctors etc... I sure got tired of his politician shtick.

One thing that seems to have been missing from our organization for years is proper player development (such as what Detroit is credited with having...no matter who or where they draft they seem to develop great young players). We have suffered because we haven't been able to draft high and get those "gimme" top prospects. Well I feel with the hiring of Willie D that has changed this year, at both the NHL and AHL levels. In the past maybe there was good communication with the Player Developmental staff, but maybe the staff itself wasn't so great. Then last year we finally get a good developmental coach in the A (Travis Green), but the communication from Torts sucked. So finally this year it may all be coming together, Willie working with Travis. In the past this team has been devastated when hit with the injuries we've had...it was kind of our "go to" excuse for failure. Well no more excuses...we are thriving even with all these injuries, and Utica is still doing well even with all the loss of top players due to callups.

Linden bleeds Canucks colours. We really needed that as a starting point. A guy like Torts can come in and jump up and down like a monkey, but at the end of the day it doesn't mean he really feels anything for this team.

Linden then could have taken the route to hire more established staff, but he decided to take risks. He took risks, knowing he might be making mistakes... but he did so not just because he thought these were the best potential talents for the job, but also because they were "green" staff who haven't pled allegence to a team yet. They are staff who could still be moulded to the Canucks, and the vision Linden had for our team. He also did it to ensure we had a completely fresh staff who didn't come with baggage.... something we were saddled with greatly last year. You might say... how do you know all this. And I guess I don't... it's just strong speculation.

So Linden develops a brand new culture. And in my opinion, it was the right move. Even IF it had turned out the Benning or Willie were not everything he had hoped and he had to fire them, the culture he has already grown through the entire team from the players to management will remain.

In my eyes, he has done the absolute best job anyone could have possibly expected.

In an ideal world Willie would lift the SC for us twice in the next 5 years then he would move up to JB's position of GM. Travis would move up from Utica to coach the Canucks.

JB would become Executive Head of Scouting and the Sedins would move to Utica and become their coach. (until TG retired to GM and the Sedins would become the first Twins to coach an NHL hockey team)

TL would stay as Hockey Supremo. :)

That's called continuity. Continuity wins Cups.

Yeah, lets just keep adding nice guys to our organization. Guys that are so nice that they add other "nice" guys not because they bring a particular skill, but because they are nice.

Like it doesn't matter if they suck at evaluating talent or if they suck at ice hockey.

As long as they are nice.

Archived