The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal - not your ordinary proposal] Seattle NHL Team Name?

The obvious is the Totems...strong pro hockey roots, almost instantly identifiable fan base (instant connection to the hockey community in Seattle). The name was used from 1958 to 1975 (and currently as a Jr. team) during which they won 3 championships (banners they can hang, honorary ceremonies etc. that they can build promos off of - like our Millionaires stuff). There may even exist a bunch of old school Totems jerseys still out there (gives them another built in promo idea for throwback nights, 3rd jerseys etc). I just think that the Totem tradition in the community might be too prominent to ignore (a la Oil Kings in Edmonton).

The only other connotation of pro hockey that might "fly" (hahaha) is the Bombers. It was the name of the pro franchise in the early 50's...homage to Boeing?

the more i think about the seadogs (yeah yeah, st. johns already has that, but that's QMJHL, not professional hockey, and it's on the other side of the continent.) the more i like it, they could either go with a cartoony sailer/pirate:

pirate-hat-jolly-roger-swords-ribbon-sym

OR they could go with a Haida-esque Seal similar to the seahawks logo:

293ylft.png

They have to (just have to) go with Seattle Salmon.

They could have pink salmon coloured jerseys. It would be awesome.

It even sounds nice to say, rolls off the tongue. I'm being serious... !

You're close, but the name should be the

SEATTLE SOCKEYE

Picture a cartoonish angry tough looking salmon wearing a helmet and with a black eye. sockeye. Get it?

Basically, very similar to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b0/Toledo_Walleye_Logo.svg/1187px-Toledo_Walleye_Logo.svg.png

Give them the same name as the WHL team there.

Seattle Thunderbirds

Wouldn't be the first time a NHL team has shared a name with a junior team in the same city.

They could cross-promote each other, and the way the name rolls off the tongue seems to fit.

Honestly, I like the name so much I would rather the WHL team pick a new name so that the NHL team could have the moniker.

The team will likely be called the Thunderbirds...good hockey tradition in Seattle. Hope they deviate a little in their color scheme, so as not to look too much like Canucks. (more grey ?)

Also, an expansion Seattle team would be the only opportunity I can see if the Canucks would like to move the Sedins, and do a complete rebuild.

Archived