The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The California Teams

EdgarM

Kings need a rebuild? Gave me a good laugh. Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter are just entering their prime. Voynov, Tofolli and Pearson are emerging young talents. Kings are set for years.

That was the point. They have enough assets if the team isn't working anymore to turn it around real fast with some trades. That's assuming they don't play better next season. I'm not suggesting they need to tank.

Kings need a rebuild? Gave me a good laugh. Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter are just entering their prime. Voynov, Tofolli and Pearson are emerging young talents. Kings are set for years.

You beat me to it...The Kings have a young core and are miles away from an expiry date...A lot of times,these type of teams are top heavy (owing to salary structure ) and have weak bottom 6 forwards,.but the Kings are fairly solid throughout.

You beat me to it...The Kings have a young core and are miles away from an expiry date...A lot of times,these type of teams are top heavy (owing to salary structure ) and have weak bottom 6 forwards,.but the Kings are fairly solid throughout.

Kings also have a great system in place. Monarchs solid in ahl and groom their prospects well.

I kind of wish we tanked, especially given the strength of this years draft + how great teams are this year on the whole.

If we

a. Make the playoffs and get wrecked

or

b. Just miss the playoffs

I will be extremely disappointed. We screwed ourselves out of both best case scenarios this season. High pick or decent run to (at least) the second round.

Tanking is so wrong on so many levels, the only exception being if the team is horrible and bereft of talent in the first place. The Canucks are not and were not that.

1. As Deb said, you cannot claim the benefit of hindsight. If that were the case, 29 of 30 teams should tank every year.

2. Tanking destroys team and especially youth confidence. Losing atmospheres help no-one.

3. Tanking destroys team unity and respect with coaching and management.

4. Tanking lowers the value of tradeable players. Higgins for example is much more marketable asset after contributing in a playoff run than languishing in a tanked season.

Arizona tank? Sure, they were going nowhere anyway and had few quality assets with value to move. Canucks? Not while the core is in place, especially while the Sedins are on the roster and they aren't going anywhere.

You don't tank a competitive team, just like you don't tear down a house that's 10 years old. You retool one and renovate the other.

So...... At the beginning of the season there were those that were adamant that the Canucks were in a "rebuild" and that they had no chance against the Mighty California teams and making the playoffs was slim to none.

The comments were so short-sighted and the panty-wetters were competing for superlatives. I distinctly remember comments like "we're 5+ years away from ever competing again" and "we aren't even in the same galaxy."

• 3 weeks later...

The comments were so short-sighted and the panty-wetters were competing for superlatives. I distinctly remember comments like "we're 5+ years away from ever competing again" and "we aren't even in the same galaxy."

I guess some will be eating crow then. GCG!!!!! :towel:

Thornton would never go to the Canucks and we wouldn't be able to obtain him if his demands are high. And San Jose is most likely not gonna trade him to a hated division rival.

Williams, Toffoli, and Sekara are UFAs this July from the Kings. The Kings are most likely going to re-sign Toffoli over Williams, leaving the latter to go wherever he wants to go. Maybe Vancouver, maybe not.

Tanking is so wrong on so many levels, the only exception being if the team is horrible and bereft of talent in the first place. The Canucks are not and were not that.

1. As Deb said, you cannot claim the benefit of hindsight. If that were the case, 29 of 30 teams should tank every year.

2. Tanking destroys team and especially youth confidence. Losing atmospheres help no-one.

3. Tanking destroys team unity and respect with coaching and management.

4. Tanking lowers the value of tradeable players. Higgins for example is much more marketable asset after contributing in a playoff run than languishing in a tanked season.

Arizona tank? Sure, they were going nowhere anyway and had few quality assets with value to move. Canucks? Not while the core is in place, especially while the Sedins are on the roster and they aren't going anywhere.

You don't tank a competitive team, just like you don't tear down a house that's 10 years old. You retool one and renovate the other.

That Toronto-Buffalo game a couple of months ago was so bad. Neither team was good at tanking. They're so bad at being abd that it's embarrassing. LOL

Sadly that still wouldn't be enough for the haters to shut up.

Yeah, well, there are haters against every championship team, accusing them of bribing the refs or having luck all the way throughout their run. I frigging hate it.

Yes, luck plays a huge part in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY in the Cup Finals, but it doesn't dictate the whole bloody game. Rangers could have won Game 2 against LA last year but LA not only got lucky erasing multiple 2-goal deficits, but also capitalizing on some good plays.

Still can't believe the pacific div is the weakest of all 4. Juggernauts last year

Even now, it's still pretty darn weak. It WAS strong before Nashville, St. Louis, Minnesota, LA, Calgary, and Dallas started stepping up their game and deciding to actually show their strengths.

Any division with the Oilers is a pretty darn weak one, IMO.

San Jose really should rebuild and gut their team except for a few key players like Couture (although I hate him) and Pavelski). Marleau and Thornton's returns would exceed their value to the team at the moment. They are skilled players but struggle to be the leaders on the team that drive the ship. They would do well as supporting players behind better leaders.

But their failure makes my heart happy.

So long suckers.

Kings are probably reaching an expiry date if they can't turn it around next season. Unfortunately for us, they still have a ton of value on their team and have a good shot at a very speedy turnaround. I think they'll make a bunch of needed changes and be back as a dangerous team next year.

Here's to hoping that is not the case.

Anaheim is overrated. They are a good team but with some big weaknesses. They allow way too many goals in and have the same amount of ROW as we do in 2 more games. They are an above average team, that plays well against us, but are nowhere near being favorites for a deep run.

Arizona basically got as much mileage out of their team as they could have hoped, but now they have to bite the bullet and are making big changes.

Edmonton is the same old song and dance... pathetic as always.

Calgary made huge strides into being a dangerous team this year. They play excellent defense and have key players who can make a difference. They are not far off from having a team that competes every year; this season might be the first of a string of really good ones.

Us. The good guys. We have made really good strides this year getting us back on track. We still have weaknesses, but also a ton of positives and a few unknowns (the good kind) for the next year or so, such as Horvat. If he plays as well as he has in the playoffs he could potentially be a huge part of a series.

And we are the second (if not best) team in the Pacific this year. A case could be made for us being a better team overall than the Ducks even, despite our struggles at times with them.

This is a very good year for us so far.

San Jose is an internal mess and it showed on the ice. No one was really hyping up Hertl like they did last year. The whole controversy between DW and Thornton...yikes. The 3-0 series blown last year must have hit harder than expected. They said they had to come back strong this year from it, but it looks like the team and management are still affected by it HARD.

Los Angeles has had a bad year too. Their second toughest defense pretty much disintegrated: Mitchell to Florida and Voynov being a dumbbutt by getting arrested. Chances of him coming back are 0, even if he's declared innocent. The trial is suppsoed to start this month but I doubt anything good will come out of it. LA will have a stronger year next season but you'll most likely not see Williams or Sekara in the lineup. They're probably going to re-sign Toffoli to a decent contract.

Anaheim, well, their goaltending is questionable. It's their offense that keeps them alive all year. Frigging Kesler...got nothing else to say about that. LOL.

Calgary is a team I really expected to ramp up their skills and talent. And they proved it this season. They don't want to be another Edmonton Oilers!

Edmonton. Well. Enough said.

Vancouver has made an incredible turnaround season this year. I'm so surprised and glad FA finally listened and got rid of Gillis. Linden-Benning-Desjardins FTW!

Marleau would look good in a Canucks jersey. If Thornton ever joined the Canucks I would probably focus on cheering for the Red Wings, Avalanche, or Senators for a little while...

"A little while" being until Thornton retires or moves on.

I don't think that's fair to jumbo joe. He has a lot of the same attributes as hank as a captain and playmaker. The size of getzlaf, but the ability to get under your skin like burrows. I respect him a lot more than a backes.

I don't think that's fair to jumbo joe. He has a lot of the same attributes as hank as a captain and playmaker. The size of getzlaf, but the ability to get under your skin like burrows. I respect him a lot more than a backes.

Just don't let him score four goals and we're good, I guess.

Just don't let him score four goals and we're good, I guess.

If hank said that we'd all laugh our butts off. The only time I've ever disliked joe was in 2011 conf finals. But in retrospect he was in the 3rd round of playoffs and very injured.

Trying to be a jerk was the only strategy he had left. He is a fantastic player and never should have been stripped of a C.

Archived