The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The California Teams

EdgarM

ducks still dont have a good starting goalie they will not get far in playoffs poor kes lol

sharks were done when they lost last yr jumbo joe should demand outta sanjose

Ha! Jumbo Joe choke job is the reason SJ is so bad. If only they were so unlucky that he demanded a trade.

I think JB is fine tuning the team.

He appreciates the quality they have but realises there were/are pieces missing (and have been missing for 3/4 years) The great thing about this method of "rebuilding" the team is we have a coach that is used to working with young players and elevating their abilities and helping them reach their potential.

We also seem to have another coach of the same type in Travis Green which makes the conveyor belt much more productive, efficient and consistent for Benning and TL.

But you'll have the luxury of hindsight....the team doesn't have that. So until they give it their best shot, they don't know if they'll "get wrecked" or not...that's the whole point of going for it. There are no guarantees and anything can happen. So you may give up on that shot to tank, but then you never know what would've/couldn't happened.

If we

a. Make the playoffs and get wrecked

or

b. Just miss the playoffs

I will be extremely disappointed. We screwed ourselves out of both best case scenarios this season. High pick or decent run to (at least) the second round

We are definitely rebuilding.

Acquiring projects like Baertschi, Vey, Clendening etc just proves that. Benning is preparing for the inevitable once the Sedins retire and hoping to have something to build around in a couple of years. That doesn't mean we can't stay competitive during that time frame though.

I myself am kind of on the fence. If we were trying to stay competitive, I would have liked to see more of our home grown prospects playing this year as we take a run at the playoffs in order to get them more experience. As it stands only Kenins and Horvat fill those roles as of now so I kind of wish we tanked, especially given the strength of this years draft + how great teams are this year on the whole.

If we

a. Make the playoffs and get wrecked

or

b. Just miss the playoffs

I will be extremely disappointed. We screwed ourselves out of both best case scenarios this season. High pick or decent run to (at least) the second round.

The young guys are going to get a lot more playoff experience in Utica than they would in Vancouver.

Would a Marleau or Thornton be an upgrade on Bonino?

It feels dirty but a line up like below would look pretty sweet. I think that would almost be a line 1A 1B type

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baerstchi Thornton Vrbata

Matthias Vey Kassian

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa

Sbisa Weber

Clendenning

Stanton

Lack

Markstrom

trade: Higgins,Bonino, Miller UFA: Richardson

I wonder if a Miller+Bonino+Higgins for Thornton could get it done.

Would a Marleau or Thornton be an upgrade on Bonino?

Marleau would look good in a Canucks jersey. If Thornton ever joined the Canucks I would probably focus on cheering for the Red Wings, Avalanche, or Senators for a little while...

"A little while" being until Thornton retires or moves on.

Anaheim really solidified their D at the trade deadline. But it still remains to be seen if they'll gel in time for the playoffs. And their goaltending is suspect as well. Rangers ravaging them for 7 goals last night really highlights their issues.

San Jose is a mess. Letting Boyle go, then trading Demers? Picking up goons like Scott and Brown? And just when it looked like they were getting it together, their GM starts rehashing them stripping the 'C'? It's almost like Wilson is actively sabotaging the team, to try to get Thornton and Marleau to waive.

L.A. will be a tough out...if they get in. Their style may not be as successful in the regular season. But when they can focus on one team for a series, they can simply grind them into submission. Everyone else is hoping Calgary manages to hang on and keep them out.

The thing is though, as much as I like our young players and prospects, these teams have as-good-if-not-better ones. Particularly Anaheim. So even though we are retooling now, we have some big steps to make to get ahead of the curve.

San Jose really should rebuild and gut their team except for a few key players like Couture (although I hate him) and Pavelski). Marleau and Thornton's returns would exceed their value to the team at the moment. They are skilled players but struggle to be the leaders on the team that drive the ship. They would do well as supporting players behind better leaders.

But their failure makes my heart happy.

So long suckers.

Kings are probably reaching an expiry date if they can't turn it around next season. Unfortunately for us, they still have a ton of value on their team and have a good shot at a very speedy turnaround. I think they'll make a bunch of needed changes and be back as a dangerous team next year.

Here's to hoping that is not the case.

Anaheim is overrated. They are a good team but with some big weaknesses. They allow way too many goals in and have the same amount of ROW as we do in 2 more games. They are an above average team, that plays well against us, but are nowhere near being favorites for a deep run.

Arizona basically got as much mileage out of their team as they could have hoped, but now they have to bite the bullet and are making big changes.

Edmonton is the same old song and dance... pathetic as always.

Calgary made huge strides into being a dangerous team this year. They play excellent defense and have key players who can make a difference. They are not far off from having a team that competes every year; this season might be the first of a string of really good ones.

Us. The good guys. We have made really good strides this year getting us back on track. We still have weaknesses, but also a ton of positives and a few unknowns (the good kind) for the next year or so, such as Horvat. If he plays as well as he has in the playoffs he could potentially be a huge part of a series.

And we are the second (if not best) team in the Pacific this year. A case could be made for us being a better team overall than the Ducks even, despite our struggles at times with them.

This is a very good year for us so far.

Kings need a rebuild? Gave me a good laugh. Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter are just entering their prime. Voynov, Tofolli and Pearson are emerging young talents. Kings are set for years.

By the way, this is way too much. Miller for Marleau and a 5th would be fun.

It's about quality though

Miller is a good goalie but not elite.

Bonino is a 3rd line centre on an elite team

Higgins is /should be a 3rd liner.

So we are basically trading 2 third liners on very good contracts and a good goalie for one of the top centres in the league.

As much as I like Marleau's character better, Joe is more valuable in that he is a big strong centremen that puts up points. He can help shield the puck and free up guys like Vrbata and Baerstchi with his strength where as Marleau might not be able to do that.

Thornton currently has 62 points in an off year which puts him at Daniel and Henrik level. Him with Vrbata and Baerstchi could be magic.

It's about quality though

Miller is a good goalie but not elite.

Bonino is a 3rd line centre on an elite team

Higgins is /should be a 3rd liner.

So we are basically trading 2 third liners on very good contracts and a good goalie for one of the top centres in the league.

As much as I like Marleau's character better, Joe is more valuable in that he is a big strong centremen that puts up points. He can help shield the puck and free up guys like Vrbata and Baerstchi with his strength where as Marleau might not be able to do that.

Thornton currently has 62 points in an off year which puts him at Daniel and Henrik level. Him with Vrbata and Baerstchi could be magic.

Yeah, but Higgins is an A+ in intangibility and we just acquired Bonino and Miller within the last 12 months. Their value supersedes what you've proposed. Maybe add a 1st or two 2nds?

Yeah, but Higgins is an A+ in intangibility and we just acquired Bonino and Miller within the last 12 months. Their value supersedes what you've proposed. Maybe add a 1st or two 2nds?

Well I'm all for getting a centremen like Thronton at a cheaper price if possible. However, that is what I would ulatimatley be willing to pay at the end if push came to shove.

We need to cut down the roster to 23 by opening date so chances are, we would lose Higgins and Lack or Markstrom anyway.

Instead of chopping up the pieces to get slightly better returns, I would rather compile the assets and get one dynamite return.

The only reason why this trade would even be entertained by Wilson is because SJ underachieved this year, they need a proven goalie, their old core is stale.

When you don't look at the context and just look at a payer like Joe Thornton for 2 3rd liners and a good goalie, its generally a no deal from the other side.

Only the simplest of CDC minds were under the impression that this team is "rebuilding". To say so renders the actual meaning of that word in a hockey context meaningless.

The team was retooling. Dealing Kesler and Garrison is not a 'rebuild'. Particularly when you bring back a roster 2C and a roster defenseman in those deals - and also use the cap space you gained to sign free agents like Miller and Vrbata.

Semantics really. To think this team was rebuilding is to have a very weak conception of relative approaches to managing a roster.

Benning isn't as daft as a lot of people around here who were ready to throw in a white towel and retreat from competing.

What happened last season was a result of horrible coaching and a lack of forward depth - two things that could be rectifiied with a coaching change and a couple of moves in the offseason - as well as taking advantage of seeds already planted - not requiring a "rebuild".

This team was so much richer in assets than teams that need to resort to a 'rebuild'.

Rebuilding is for mismanaged franchises. This franchise was not mismanaged - jwhat is required was tweaking, not a tear down. The best franchises retool whenever the opportunity and need arises and don't get themselves into positions requiring rebuilds. Benning came in and acted decisively - and really, had no choice but to do so where Kesler was concerned - he had put the writing on the wall.

Archived