The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Is Our Year

Scorvat

The team has shown a lot of character of late, so I think they will play well in the playoffs. It would be a terrific experience for the young guys and would gel the team even more.

I would be very happy to see them get to the 2nd round and put up a good fight.

Calling them 'cup contenders' is a stretch though.

Cup contenders? I seriously doubt it. (I don't think the defense is up for the task)

I was mentally prepared to go 1-2 seasons without even making the playoffs while they 're-tool' the team. The season has been a pleasant surprise.

I'll be really happy if they get into the playoffs, as everyone should be. Unfortunately there hasn't been a game in a long time that the defense doesn't make alot of major errors. Edler and Sbisa are the worst offenders, Hamhuis has made alot lately too. Errors from your core D end up with goals in the back of your net. Bieksa doesn't look that bad , and Tanev looks good...but you need all working alot tighter together.

Playoff hockey you only need 1-3 goals to win alot of the time...but you gotta play shut-down hockey. Also you gotta grind it out with teams like CHI, ANA, NSH, STL in a 7 game series. If you do come out of the west, you are pretty beat up.

Who seriously thought with all the injuries and Miller out the last 1/3 of the season that the Canucks would even have a chance at the post-season? Not me....but I am pretty stoked to watch hockey for at least another couple weeks.

When Miller went down I felt extremely bad for the guy, but I felt our chances increase...he's been so bad..wins are a result of team success, a goalie should not be solely judged by that.

Lack>>>Miller

I was really worried when Miller went down because we hadn't seen much of Lack this year and I just kept having flash backs of last years stretch drive :picard: But holy cow Lack has arrived! :emot-parrot: wouldn't even worry about him being the starter for the entire playoffs no matter how far we may go. In fact Im more worried about Miller getting the nod when he's ready.

I really do think the factor in a lot our current success, that is being over looked, is WD knows how to coach. I never liked AVs strategies in the playoffs. I firmly believe that AV was the reason we had such modest success in the playoffs. Im convinced that there is no way other good coaches would have lost the finals to Boston with the team we had.

WD incorporates a bit of some from a lot of good coaching styles. I think our boys are finally gonna play their hearts out for WD this post season. Heck that's what WD is known for. I think you will see a lot of our players surprisingly elevate their games to levels that will surprise us. At least I hope so lol

I was really worried when Miller went down because we hadn't seen much of Lack this year and I just kept having flash backs of last years stretch drive :picard: But holy cow Lack has arrived! :emot-parrot: wouldn't even worry about him being the starter for the entire playoffs no matter how far we may go. In fact Im more worried about Miller getting the nod when he's ready.

I really do think the factor in a lot our current success, that is being over looked, is WD knows how to coach. I never liked AVs strategies in the playoffs. I firmly believe that AV was the reason we had such modest success in the playoffs. Im convinced that there is no way other good coaches would have lost the finals to Boston with the team we had.

WD incorporates a bit of some from a lot of good coaching styles. I think our boys are finally gonna play their hearts out for WD this post season. Heck that's what WD is known for. I think you will see a lot of our players surprisingly elevate their games to levels that will surprise us. At least I hope so lol

AV brought two different teams to Stanley Cup finals twice in the last 4 years, so he must be doing something right... And with a team as banged up as Nucks were against Boston, it was an achievement in itself that it went to a game seven...

Mind you, I hope you're right, and the team under WD will eclipse and even better AV's record in Vancouver.

One things for sure we gotta stop giving up the first goal or two, teams will buckle down with leads in the playoffs can't expect to claw back and win a series.

I agree. Especially considering the fact that officials are even more reluctant to call penalties like holding, hooking and interference during the playoffs.

It's one of the things that makes the Kings more dangerous in the postseason than the regular season, IMHO.

I disagree with this completely. The list of Canuck injuries and walking wounded was longer than Zdeno Chara's stick. It would have been bordering on miraculous for the Canucks to overcome those odds, IMHO, especially the way Thomas was playing in that series.

If the Canucks are healthier and Thomas plays like he did against the Habs or the Bolts, I think Vancouver wins that series.

I disagree with this completely. The list of Canuck injuries and walking wounded was longer than Zdeno Chara's stick. It would have been bordering on miraculous for the Canucks to overcome those odds, IMHO, especially the way Thomas was playing in that series.

If the Canucks are healthier and Thomas plays like he did against the Habs or the Bolts, I think Vancouver wins that series.

How do you explain Games 1 & 2 If indeed we were so banged up it should have been Boston in 5 or 6 games. Granted Kesler was banged up beyond belief. But WD keeps us rolling no matter who we have to play. Truth is it was our Cup to lose and we did it all by our selves. This is where the Coach comes into play. To get the team re focused and pumped. To give it their all. To push back. To not lie down. To change strategies or line combos. To do what ever it takes to get the job done!

After the Rome hit AV did nothing to help win us a cup.

And its well documented that AV coaches from a distance. WD does not.

Who played their hearts out for AV ? Hes just not that coach. WD is. Its already apparent.

We just saw WD change his strategies to finally get a win from LA. And he has changed lines up a lot. So now come playoffs WD knows what different line combos can do what for him.

Plus WD seems like the kinda guy that will have a brain aneurysm if he loses. He said himself he just cant stand losing and will do anything to win.

How do you explain Games 1 & 2 If indeed we were so banged up it should have been Boston in 5 or 6 games. Granted Kesler was banged up beyond belief. But WD keeps us rolling no matter who we have to play. Truth is it was our Cup to lose and we did it all by our selves. This is where the Coach comes into play. To get the team re focused and pumped. To give it their all. To push back. To not lie down. To change strategies or line combos. To do what ever it takes to get the job done!

Who played their hearts out for AV ? Hes just not that coach. WD is. Its already apparent.

We just saw WD change his strategies to finally get a win from LA. And he has changed lines up a lot. So now come playoffs WD knows what different line combos can do what for him.

Plus WD seems like the kinda guy that will have a brain aneurysm if he loses. He said himself he just cant stand losing and will do anything to win.

That is only "well documented" in the minds of people who don't know what they're talking about.

It's been a really interesting season. Lots of up's and down's, but mostly up's.

I had pegged this team before the season to be fighting for that final wild card spot, so just making the playoffs this season will exceed my expectations.

Having said that, given what's happening to some of the power-house teams in the West this year,it's entirely possible that our boys could make some noise. The character of this new-look team has really shown itself in the last few weeks and I feel really started to emerge on that long road trip where we played with 7 regulars out of the lineup.

And Willy has proven to be a calming and motivating influence, just as he was billed. The boys really look like they want to play for him.

There's something special about this team this year and I like the fact they're flying under the radar come the playoffs. That "nothing-to-lose" under-dog mentality might go a long way for them in the playoffs. Well...that and some good reffing and luck.

Well, not to sound like too much of a homer,however in my opinion the Canucks are champs in their own right for bouncing back this season, especially with a new regime at the helm. After last year, I was one of those who thought this year would be a write off however everyone from Linden on down has contributed something valuable to the team.

I admire the OP's optimism, however there are some games where the Canucks have also looked flat, and I am not sure they are strong enough to sustain 4 rounds of playoffs. Hopefully I am wrong though.

I'm predicting to win the Stanley cup we have to go through calgary, St. Louis, Anaheim, and Tampa bay. It is possible but I think we will be in tough against St.. Louis 2nd round and hopefully they will be banged up from Chicago.

We have almost no chance to play the blues in round 2.

Round 2 (if we make it) will be against anahiem or whoever beats anahiem in round 1(unless we clinch WC which is unlikely). Playoff brackets have changed since the divisions changed.

Most likely opponent in round one and 2:

(In order from most likely to least likely)

1- Flames/Kings

2-Ducks/Jets/Wild/Kings/Flames

Most likely path to cup:

1- Flames

2- Ducks

3- Blackhawks/Preds/Blues

4- Lightning/Rangers

And honestly our only real threat b4 the SC is the Ducks. Kings are to if they make it.

Do people really not remember? We were a hurting machine going into that Boston series and they did us in by breaking Raymonds back and Edlers finger. Bieksa was already out with injury as was Burrows and yes Kesler was walking wounded as well.

Might have been someone else who was injured as well...Higgins?

And AV didn't? I'm pretty sure AV was notorious for mixing his lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRgap4Wns9w#t=1m50s

Archived